Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Questions about chch

Questions about chch

Old Dec 31st 2006, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions about chch

Welcome mickg - I took your questions about chch from the open home for newbies thread and opened a new thread - you'll get more views and replies this way. (hope you don't mind!!)
Vicki

Mickg asked:
Hi There,

we are seriously thinking about moving to NZ, and like the sound of Christchurch, in particular Rangiora. Can anyone help me with a few questions before we take the plunge!!!

1) Should I secure a job before I arrive, or come out on a visitor visa?
2) What are your thoughts on living in Chch, in particular Rangiora?
3) My wife runs pre-school music groups, nursery rhymes, puppets etc, do you think there would be a demand for this in NZ?

Loads of other questions, but that will do for starters?
Old Dec 31st 2006, 7:34 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Questions about chch

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Welcome mickg - I took your questions about chch from the open home for newbies thread and opened a new thread - you'll get more views and replies this way. (hope you don't mind!!)
Vicki

Mickg asked:
Hi There,

We are seriously thinking about moving to NZ, and like the sound of Christchurch, in particular Rangiora. Can anyone help me with a few questions before we take the plunge!!!
Dive in.

I dunno. That depends on your immigration status I would think. Do you need a job to get over the points cut-off or what?
I live in St Albans, an inner suburb near central Christchurch. I like it okay, my daughter is alright with it and my wife, who is from Thailand, loves it and wants to live the rest of her life here. (Well New Zealand at least.)

Christchurch has plenty of amenities and can be a very comfortable place to live. The great outdoors is all around and recreation is here or nearby.

Traffic, erm...I don't really know as I walk or ride a bike to work and I don't have a car so I don't much notice.

However, I'm no help at all when it comes to describing Rangiora as I have never been there.
3) My wife runs pre-school music groups, nursery rhymes, puppets etc, do you think there would be a demand for this in NZ?
Is she certified? New Zealand employers are goo-goo-gah-gah over certification. You bloody well even have to have a cert to pull pints of beer or to even paint someone's fingernails (oh yeah, you'd need a level four certificate in the theory of nail maintanance).

Happy New Year.
Old Dec 31st 2006, 9:10 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Rangiora is a fab town and is expanding all the time, the population is growing and there's lots of lovely shops on the beautiful townstreet.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 4:10 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Vicki

Mickg asked:
Hi There,

we are seriously thinking about moving to NZ, and like the sound of Christchurch, in particular Rangiora. Can anyone help me with a few questions before we take the plunge!!!

Rangiora isn't actually in Christchurch. From memory it's about a one hour drive to chch. You could always move to Woodend (halfway between the two) and a nice quiet little spot (was last time I was there anyway).

You and your wife may need to get your qualifications verified in NZ. As for demand, I'm not sure. That would take some more specific research I'd think, but chch has the population to potentially support that sort of thing. May need some kind of govt approval though.
Old Jan 1st 2007, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Rangiora isn't actually in Christchurch. From memory it's about a one hour drive to chch.

20 minutes to the airport
35 minutes to Sockburn Industrial area
30 minutes to the center of the City + 5-10 minutes in rush 1/2 hour

We live in Rangiora and it is a fab town, we do feel very settled here, but we are off to Oz. We are only going because of a job offer/prospects over there.

I have taken a load of pictures of Rangiora, just day to day stuff if you want me to email you them drop me a line.

Ian

Ps This new layout is good
Old Jan 1st 2007, 6:15 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Be careful, Rangiora doesn't suit everyone.

I couldn't live there - bit too like a new built American suburb for me. I wouldn't want to be working in the central city and commuting in, but ok I guess if you are working on the western edge of the city. NZ doesn't work like the UK where there is a village every 2 miles and a bus service, NZ towns are more spread out, more farmland between each town.
Rangiora certainly isn't part of the city, you will need a car each to get by. I like living in the southern part of the city - bikeable to town and work, heaps of buses, recreation 5 min walk away in the Port Hills.

If you are looking for work it makes more sense to rent in a more central suburb while you figure out where you will be working.
Please post up more info on what your priorities are for a place to live and we will try and help some more.

PS - Ian and Sharon - I am not sure why you are putting proximity to Sockburn as a good thing =)
Old Jan 1st 2007, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Ian & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond reputeIan & Sharon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
PS - Ian and Sharon - I am not sure why you are putting proximity to Sockburn as a good thing =)
One of the main industrial area
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 1:07 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
Be careful, Rangiora doesn't suit everyone.

I couldn't live there - bit too like a new built American suburb for me. I wouldn't want to be working in the central city and commuting in, but ok I guess if you are working on the western edge of the city. NZ doesn't work like the UK where there is a village every 2 miles and a bus service, NZ towns are more spread out, more farmland between each town.
Rangiora certainly isn't part of the city, you will need a car each to get by. I like living in the southern part of the city - bikeable to town and work, heaps of buses, recreation 5 min walk away in the Port Hills.

If you are looking for work it makes more sense to rent in a more central suburb while you figure out where you will be working.
Please post up more info on what your priorities are for a place to live and we will try and help some more.

There's a new bus service just been started in the last few months here, it's fabulous and buses run every half an hour now from Rangi to Ch.ch.
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 10:32 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by happynz

Is she certified? New Zealand employers are goo-goo-gah-gah over certification. You bloody well even have to have a cert to pull pints of beer or to even paint someone's fingernails (oh yeah, you'd need a level four certificate in the theory of nail maintanance).

Happy New Year.
What is the story with that? So frickin' annoying. when I was unemployed last year I thought to myself, I'll just get a job pulling pints for a while till things improve. Then I found out they wanted "experience" and a "certificate". Ha ha ha. Same story for making a coffee. (They call it being a barista here and take it terribly seriously). WHat about needing a CV to get a job working in subway? hahahaha
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:21 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
This is also the case in Australia.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:24 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
What is the story with that? So frickin' annoying. when I was unemployed last year I thought to myself, I'll just get a job pulling pints for a while till things improve. Then I found out they wanted "experience" and a "certificate". Ha ha ha. Same story for making a coffee. (They call it being a barista here and take it terribly seriously). WHat about needing a CV to get a job working in subway? hahahaha
Same in OZ. And yes you must undertake a barista course in OZ before you can work in many coffee places . Actually is very very hard for a male to get barwork in OZ. Vast majority of barstaff are female.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that when I was looking for part time work last year. So my Diploma in Hotel and Catering Management means nothing here at all.... I needed a ruddy certificate to pull a pint. I gave up trying to get work and got pregnant instead!
Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:27 am
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by SarahB
I noticed that when I was looking for part time work last year. So my Diploma in Hotel and Catering Management means nothing here at all.... I needed a ruddy certificate to pull a pint. I gave up trying to get work and got pregnant instead!
You probably need to have your diploma verified, same as for any overseas qualification.
Old Jan 4th 2007, 7:49 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
You probably need to have your diploma verified, same as for any overseas qualification.
They offer Barista training course in the paper. An intensive course to teach you to make a coffee

"Now class, this is coffee. Spell it. C.O.F.F.E.E. good. Now, this is a coffee grinder. To operate put the beans in here...."

Old Jan 4th 2007, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

They offer Barista training course in the paper. An intensive course to teach you to make a coffee

"Now class, this is coffee. Spell it. C.O.F.F.E.E. good. Now, this is a coffee grinder. To operate put the beans in here...."
They probably have something similar in Italy, which is the home of great coffee. I just couldn't get over the way that a coffee from any random train station in Italy was better than from the best cafe in London.
Most of my kiwi friends take good coffee very seriously - and the more people who know how to make a great coffee the better in my opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.