British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Question for truck drivers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/question-truck-drivers-789914/)

Firestorm333 Mar 8th 2013 5:34 pm

Question for truck drivers

Hi good morning /evening quick question for british truckies workin in NZ , my OH who has a class2 is wondering whether it woukd be better to do her class1 in the uk or wait till she gets to NZ . any pointers would be gratefully received pro's and cons ect ..............:D

Jan n Neil Mar 8th 2013 6:22 pm

Re: Question for truck drivers

1 Attachment(s)
The class 1 (5 here) is a piece of piss and will cost you about $800 for a 2 day course wich will include a day,s log book, no tacho here :thumbup:

If you already have your class 1 you will have to sit a touch screen test again this is dead easy if you read the book.. There are a lot of truck and dogs here (piccy of mine) so you will need a bit of practice backing them and nearly everything has a roadranger in it

Neil

Firestorm333 Mar 8th 2013 6:44 pm

Cheers Neil I new could rely on you , thats good news OH is well pleased she was going to do it here ,but as you well know a right performance ......:p

Jan n Neil Mar 9th 2013 2:37 am

I cant remember where u are heading for but if it,s ChCh i can give her some time on the truck and trailer :thumbup:

Firestorm333 Mar 9th 2013 7:08 am

That's exactly where we're heading , hopefully i should be out there in nx few weeks , Oh is following on in sept when the school year finishes ,just in time for summer . Just means i'll be 4mths without my bike :ohmy: Still there not that dear to hire for a couple of days ,if the withdrawal becomes to much.....:unsure:

karron Mar 9th 2013 5:29 pm

neil,could i be nosey and ask how different have you found the truck and trailer setup you have compared to the more normal articulated trucks in the uk, particularly reversing ?

Jan n Neil Mar 9th 2013 11:40 pm

there a complete bitch, i am getting into them now but i still miss the artics once u lose the dog trailer you are stuffed :(:fingerscrossed:

karron Mar 10th 2013 2:31 pm

have you done any b-train work ? if i've got it right ,the unit+trailer+trailer ? again its the reversing that would seem to be the main hurdle, i imagine going forward they would follow you ok.

trafford Mar 10th 2013 7:52 pm

My OH used to drive B trains in NZ. He says no problems going forward. Reversing is the same principle with the wagon and drag in the UK, if you have had experience of them. If not, then it's just lots of practice and don't be afraid to make mistakes. Last tip, try not to leave any acute angles when reversing - get the rear trailer lined up in the direction you want to go beforehand.

Jan n Neil Mar 11th 2013 7:16 am

Good advice :thumbup: