Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Question Time. NZ is in the chair!!!!!

Question Time. NZ is in the chair!!!!!

Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future
Default Question Time. NZ is in the chair!!!!!

please answer these for me thanks.

1...What is the charges to own a car??. ie. car tax, other charges
2...Child benefit? can migrates on work permit get it?
3...Council tax or anything like that??
4...Work permits!! do i choose 1,2 or 3 years or do they??
5...Wats diesel price??
6..Will no ins no claims be vaild in nz??

Any other useful information will be good!!

Last edited by markraynes; Mar 2nd 2008 at 10:20 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:33 am
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Question Time. NZ is in the chair!!!!!

Originally Posted by markraynes

5...Wats diesel price??

Ooo, lots of question marks!!!!! Me very happy!

IN answer to your questions,

1) car tax - registration - $200
six monthly mot $60 ish, I believe
2) there isn't any
3) rates - depends on the house you are in - if you rent i believe you don't have to pay - otherwise about $1200 - $2000
4) haven't a clue - we are going down the PR route
5) Less than UK - last I heard around $1.40 ish, plus you have to 'buy' miles for the car as deisel isn't taxed at the pump. DOn't know how much these miles cost but you can't drive without them. You can buy them in lumps of 1000's. The police do check that you are driving with them.
6) I beleive so.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by spid
Ooo, lots of question marks!!!!! Me very happy!

IN answer to your questions,

1) car tax - registration - $200
six monthly mot $60 ish, I believe
2) there isn't any
3) rates - depends on the house you are in - if you rent i believe you don't have to pay - otherwise about $1200 - $2000
4) haven't a clue - we are going down the PR route
5) Less than UK - last I heard around $1.40 ish, plus you have to 'buy' miles for the car as deisel isn't taxed at the pump. DOn't know how much these miles cost but you can't drive without them. You can buy them in lumps of 1000's. The police do check that you are driving with them.
6) I beleive so.

Hope that helps.
i did ? for you
you never used capitals. you are a what again

regarding the Diesel. how much is the diesel at pumps and i have to pay each mile i travel. do you know how much
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:57 am
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of

i did ? for you
you never used capitals. you are a what again
Oh, I'm the worst of them all - an English teacher with dyslexia! Thanks for the question marks and I will try hard on the capital letters.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Oh, I'm the worst of them all - an English teacher with dyslexia! Thanks for the question marks and I will try hard on the capital letters.

10/10. Well Done. All capitals and full stops
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:03 am
The Wicked One

10/10. Well Done. All capitals and full stops
That gets me a National Curriculum level 2 then.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

dont get to0 confident. Level 1!!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 11:12 am
The Wicked One

dont get to0 confident. Level 1!!
Prove it!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Spid, it's sunday, and Mothers Day, day of rest NOT thinking about NC Levels. Leave that for tomorrow...please!!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:25 pm
The Wicked One

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Oh Spid, it's sunday, and Mothers Day, day of rest NOT thinking about NC Levels. Leave that for tomorrow...please!!
i'll just imagine tight shorts instead then - uuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

i'll just imagine tight shorts instead then - uuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Bad weekend for tight shorts, no rubgy on TV...
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 5:38 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

See -> http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/veh...istration.html
erm...migrants is the word you are looking for. The answer to your question - you cannot get the child permit if you are working here on a temporary work permit.
Yes, if you own property. If you rent you are not billed. The council rates will be part of the landlord's overhead and will be figured into the rent.
Your sponsor, really.

Do be aware that if you have a work permit for twelve months or less it won't be necessary to have medicals and police clearances. However, if your work permit is valid for two or three years or at the end of the twelve month permit and you wish to extend you will need the meds and cop shop report.
5...Wats diesel price??
Pardon me, but in almost all of your posts I notice that you consistently misspell the word 'what'. A 'wat' is a Buddhist temple in Thailand.

At the BP station around the corner diesel is currently selling at NZ$1.27/litre.

6..Will no ins no claims be valid in nz??
I don't know.

To repeat what I wrote to you in another thread Mark, all of this information is meaningless unless you are here and have a legal work status. Otherwise it is just vicarious living. You need to concentrate on getting a job, or at the least making some contacts for employment in order to gain a work permit at the minimum. Otherwise, unless you hit the lottery and come here as a business investor, you won't be able to come here to live and work.

Good luck.

Last edited by happynz; Mar 2nd 2008 at 5:40 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:43 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

5...Wats diesel price??

6 - Bring proof of no claims bonus. It will help.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 10:32 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
6 - Bring proof of no claims bonus. It will help.
Incidentally - I have just insured my son (with AMI) who is here for 2 weeks and driving on a UK licence, to drive my car for 2 weeks - cost me nothing, even though he is under 25 and with no proof whatsoever he has his own no claims bonus.