Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Question time again

Question time again

Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future
Default Question time again

We have just started off with our applications, and are using an agency (i know that a lot of you dont agree with this lol) The agency is based in New Zealand and they called us yesterday.

We have submitted our work history and Bank statement, marriage certificates etc and my husband is submitting certificates to the EWRB.

Our agency has said that we are unable to progress to submitting the EOI , until we have sold the house as we would not be ready to go. Then they will look at getting the job offers for Rob. The reasons that they gave was that employers will not take you seriously unless you are ready to go, and that you get through the pool a lot quicker if you have a job offer. This seems a little strange as i have read on this forum that people have had their EOI selected before job offers.

It seems a bit risky to sell the house first- then think about the job offers- what if they dont happen as quickly as they hope- we would then be homeless- or in rented accomodation.

Does this seem right to you?

Jill
Old Jun 16th 2008, 3:26 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all
Default Re: Question time again

Hey Jill,

As you know alot of people dont use agencies and do all the work themselves.

I am unsure about why they want you to sell your house first... thats a kinda strange one.

On the job offer front, i do know that employers wont take you seriously unless you are either in NZ or travelling there soon for an interview, Although this doesnt mean you have to sell up. This doesnt happen in all cases but it does in most.

Maybe you would only have enough points to submit an EOI with a job offer and thats why they are advising that.

Some people are fortunate enough to have enough points to be able to submit their EOI without a job offer and get their PR before they even travel to NZ.

Also if you have a valid job offer i believe that your application can be "fast tracked" which must be what the agents are talking about.

Obviously its hard to say unless people know your situation, but i am sure loads of people will be able to give you lots of advice.

Hope this helps,
C xxx
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I got a job offer after telephone interview and job offer BEFORE EOI was submitted. I had however started the process of registering with the nursing council in NZ which ain't cheap so maybe they thought I was serious about the move from that. I made them aware that we would not be out before selling the house and they are fine with that.And that my husband has to finish his degree in September. Really accommodating so don't see why you have to sell your house first then find a job.

Phyllis
Old Jun 16th 2008, 5:20 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by weejie
Hi there

I got a job offer after telephone interview and job offer BEFORE EOI was submitted. I had however started the process of registering with the nursing council in NZ which ain't cheap so maybe they thought I was serious about the move from that. I made them aware that we would not be out before selling the house and they are fine with that.And that my husband has to finish his degree in September. Really accommodating so don't see why you have to sell your house first then find a job.

Phyllis
Hey Phyllis

I agree that you should find a job before selling up, but i do also think that it is easier for health/medical professionals to get job offers before they go out as their registration basically says that they can do the job, unlike IT and other professions.

Although it would be lovely to get a job offer after a telephone interview. I currently work in pharmaceuticals so it will be harder for me to find something suitable in that field, unless i was actually in NZ...

C xxx
Old Jun 17th 2008, 3:22 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

It might just simply be that case that a job offer is needed for the points in order to put in the EOI. Catch 22 is you won't might not easily get a job offer until you are either here or have shown a positive commitment to coming. Employers and agents in NZ get 100s of emails and request each day/week for people 'thinking' of coming. The agent is simply giving best advice for quickest route. Without the job offer there may be little point in submitting the EOI because it will either be thrown out - not enough points - or sit in the pool indefinitely as immigration only pull certain numbers of certain categories each round. And as everyone is well aware of the housing market state at the moment it is highly unlikely an employer will jump at the chance of employing someone who might not be able to come out for another year as employers (unless accredited) have to prove there is no suitable NZ applicant for the job.

Last edited by TeamEmbo; Jun 17th 2008 at 3:24 am.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire- soon to be New Plymouth (December 2008)
jill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant futurejill stanton has a brilliant future

Thank you all very much for your comments, a lot of this now makes sense.

I think that it is down to the points, and that my husband does need a job offer to boost the points.

We are going to look into renting the house rather than selling it, it will also give us a safety net.

Thanks again

Jill
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:23 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Tony had a job before we put in our EOI and we didn't put the house on the market until we received a date for our medicals.

Some expats have given power of attorney to family or in my mothers case a solicitor to sell the house.

Can't understand why you have to sell first.

Hope this helps a bit

Pauline
Old Jun 18th 2008, 2:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by howden40
Some expats have given power of attorney to family or in my mothers case a solicitor to sell the house.
We ended up doing just that.

I would be interested to know what your occupations are Jill Stanton and what qualifications you hold. Is he a time served, fully qualified sparky? Do you know what points you have?

It would be fair to say that an NZ employer, looking to employ someone from overseas, would hope that person would be able to arrive in a timely fashion . With the housing market being the way it is, I can see that not being able to sell a house could hold up an application.

However, my husbands employer waited five months for him in the end & he uplifted a temporary work visa in order to get him here and working.

. Then they will look at getting the job offers for Rob
Please be a little cautious of this. You want a quality job offer with good terms and conditions .
Old Jun 18th 2008, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

I used an agency to get my visa (but not my job offer) and I found them really good.
However, not being rude, but surely it is non of the agents business whether you sold your house or not? What if you wanted to rent it out? Or as someone said leave someone as power of attorney to sell it for you.
I think you have more right saying I am not selling the house until I have a firm job offer. Not many people are willing to take that risk. It is a risk enough moving to the other side of the world.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 5:06 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by jill stanton
We have just started off with our applications, and are using an agency (i know that a lot of you dont agree with this lol) The agency is based in New Zealand and they called us yesterday.

We have submitted our work history and Bank statement, marriage certificates etc and my husband is submitting certificates to the EWRB.

Our agency has said that we are unable to progress to submitting the EOI , until we have sold the house as we would not be ready to go. Then they will look at getting the job offers for Rob. The reasons that they gave was that employers will not take you seriously unless you are ready to go, and that you get through the pool a lot quicker if you have a job offer. This seems a little strange as i have read on this forum that people have had their EOI selected before job offers.

It seems a bit risky to sell the house first- then think about the job offers- what if they dont happen as quickly as they hope- we would then be homeless- or in rented accomodation.

Does this seem right to you?

Jill

My heart sinks when I read stuff like this. I hope you haven't parted with a lot of money yet.

I would not trust these guys. A sweeping statement I know but I have found that in general the kiwis are an unscrupulous and untrustworthy bunch with few morals and extremely low standards.

If you must go with an agent (and lets face it NZ really is a doddle to get into) use one with an office in the UK. At least we still have laws in place to prevent a lot of dodgy practices from trading!

Tread very carefully..........