Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Question for those near a bank in Auckland...

Question for those near a bank in Auckland...

Old Mar 19th 2007, 10:57 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Question Question for those near a bank in Auckland...

Could I please ask a big favour? We wanted to change US$5,000 to NZ$ and so I went to our bank to order the currency. Couldn't believe it, they were only going to give us NZ$6,600! Basically, jipping us out of about NZ$500.

I think much of this is to do with us being so far inland, and not too near an airport.

Could someone in Auckland please stop by a bank and let me know what the current exchange rate is with the US$? We are thinking maybe we should just change a couple of hundred US$ at O'Haire airport outbound... or maybe LAX, might get a slightly better rate there... then change the rest of it at a bank in the CBD in Auckland.

Would be very very much obliged if someone could let me know the rate. Thank you very much in advance!
Old Mar 19th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Question for those near a bank in Auckland...

Originally Posted by Maz
Could I please ask a big favour? We wanted to change US$5,000 to NZ$ and so I went to our bank to order the currency. Couldn't believe it, they were only going to give us NZ$6,600! Basically, jipping us out of about NZ$500.

I think much of this is to do with us being so far inland, and not too near an airport.

Could someone in Auckland please stop by a bank and let me know what the current exchange rate is with the US$? We are thinking maybe we should just change a couple of hundred US$ at O'Haire airport outbound... or maybe LAX, might get a slightly better rate there... then change the rest of it at a bank in the CBD in Auckland.

Would be very very much obliged if someone could let me know the rate. Thank you very much in advance!
Hi Maz

heres the rates courtesy of the ASB website

Everyday Banking > Retail Foreign Exchange & Business Travel > Foreign Exchange Rates

USA USD 0.7378 0.7174 0.6950

Dawn xx

Last edited by kwprwn; Mar 19th 2007 at 11:16 pm. Reason: copy/paste too many times DOH
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:50 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz

lots of other ways to do this....
if you have a Visa or other credit card with low overseas charges then use that as everywehere takes the cards.
we had the same problem with taking money over quickly - in the end used a rapid SWIFT transfer between banks, cost only about £35 total and got a better rate than some of the currency trading sites on that day (I did check to make sure we werent being fleeced).
I'd suggest opening a Kiwi bank account before you come (Kiwibank is OK but has no SWIFT account), National seem pretty professional, some suggest ASB have the best online systems......then send the $$$s over into that when the USD gets up off the floor!!! (if ever!!!)
As for NZ$ there is a cash machine on the way through arrivals in the Auckland terminal we flew into from LAX so you can get some paper money there - didnt cost us too much but then "it pays to decide Nationwide".......or "you get a smarter invester at Sprocket and Silvester"......... (dont worry you need to be a certain age for those to ring true!!).
Good luck........ and safe journey.
LL
For
Old Mar 20th 2007, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Try HIFX (www.hifx.co.nz)
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:46 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

As a quick point of ref I use www.xe.com which has a handy ROE calculator for the different currencies.

Good luck ....
Old Mar 21st 2007, 12:22 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks to all! Campbells, that's what I used, but a great link for all.

lardyl... yes... I do remember those! Old fart that I am.

I think we'll probably open an account with someone when we get there, not sure who yet, and will probably open it in Welllington, but are leaning towards just changing a little currency at LAX, and the rest upon arrival in Auckland. I think also that hubby's going a tad overboard wanting to bring US$5,000 in cash... particularly as all our accommodations and the rental car are secured by credit cards. Oh well!

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated.