British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Question for those near a bank in Auckland... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/question-those-near-bank-auckland-435847/)

Maz Mar 19th 2007 10:57 pm

Question for those near a bank in Auckland...

Could I please ask a big favour? We wanted to change US$5,000 to NZ$ and so I went to our bank to order the currency. Couldn't believe it, they were only going to give us NZ$6,600! :ohmy: :eek: Basically, jipping us out of about NZ$500.

I think much of this is to do with us being so far inland, and not too near an airport.

Could someone in Auckland please stop by a bank and let me know what the current exchange rate is with the US$? We are thinking maybe we should just change a couple of hundred US$ at O'Haire airport outbound... or maybe LAX, might get a slightly better rate there... then change the rest of it at a bank in the CBD in Auckland.

Would be very very much obliged if someone could let me know the rate. Thank you very much in advance! :wub:

kwprwn Mar 19th 2007 11:16 pm

Re: Question for those near a bank in Auckland...

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4536000)
Could I please ask a big favour? We wanted to change US$5,000 to NZ$ and so I went to our bank to order the currency. Couldn't believe it, they were only going to give us NZ$6,600! :ohmy: :eek: Basically, jipping us out of about NZ$500.

I think much of this is to do with us being so far inland, and not too near an airport.

Could someone in Auckland please stop by a bank and let me know what the current exchange rate is with the US$? We are thinking maybe we should just change a couple of hundred US$ at O'Haire airport outbound... or maybe LAX, might get a slightly better rate there... then change the rest of it at a bank in the CBD in Auckland.

Would be very very much obliged if someone could let me know the rate. Thank you very much in advance! :wub:

Hi Maz

heres the rates courtesy of the ASB website

Everyday Banking > Retail Foreign Exchange & Business Travel > Foreign Exchange Rates

USA USD 0.7378 0.7174 0.6950

Dawn xx

lardyl Mar 20th 2007 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 4536000)

lots of other ways to do this....
if you have a Visa or other credit card with low overseas charges then use that as everywehere takes the cards.
we had the same problem with taking money over quickly - in the end used a rapid SWIFT transfer between banks, cost only about £35 total and got a better rate than some of the currency trading sites on that day (I did check to make sure we werent being fleeced).
I'd suggest opening a Kiwi bank account before you come (Kiwibank is OK but has no SWIFT account), National seem pretty professional, some suggest ASB have the best online systems......then send the $$$s over into that when the USD gets up off the floor!!! (if ever!!!)
As for NZ$ there is a cash machine on the way through arrivals in the Auckland terminal we flew into from LAX so you can get some paper money there - didnt cost us too much but then "it pays to decide Nationwide".......or "you get a smarter invester at Sprocket and Silvester"......... (dont worry you need to be a certain age for those to ring true!!).
Good luck........ and safe journey.
LL
For

sarahw Mar 20th 2007 7:27 pm

Try HIFX (www.hifx.co.nz)

Campbells Mar 20th 2007 11:46 pm

As a quick point of ref I use www.xe.com which has a handy ROE calculator for the different currencies.

Good luck ....

Maz Mar 21st 2007 12:22 am

Many thanks to all! Campbells, that's what I used, but a great link for all. :thumbup:

lardyl... yes... I do remember those! :rofl: Old fart that I am. :D

I think we'll probably open an account with someone when we get there, not sure who yet, and will probably open it in Welllington, but are leaning towards just changing a little currency at LAX, and the rest upon arrival in Auckland. I think also that hubby's going a tad overboard wanting to bring US$5,000 in cash... particularly as all our accommodations and the rental car are secured by credit cards. Oh well!

Thanks again everyone, much appreciated. :thumbup: