Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Question for Rugby Nuts

Question for Rugby Nuts

Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:20 pm
The Robinsons

The Robinsons 2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question for Rugby Nuts

We are coming out to NZ in Feb for a recce & hopefully a couple of job interviews.

Very poor planning, we are coming over during the 6 Nations rugby. I know the Kiwis are Rugby nuts but will I be able to watch the games over there? & If so, can anybody recommend a decent watering hole for watching these (at whatever time they might be on).

I'm happy to take as much abuse as possible whilst England are still World Champions!!!

Old Nov 9th 2006, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all
Default Re: Question for Rugby Nuts

Originally Posted by The Robinsons
We are coming out to NZ in Feb for a recce & hopefully a couple of job interviews.

Very poor planning, we are coming over during the 6 Nations rugby. I know the Kiwis are Rugby nuts but will I be able to watch the games over there? & If so, can anybody recommend a decent watering hole for watching these (at whatever time they might be on).

I'm happy to take as much abuse as possible whilst England are still World Champions!!!

In past years, the games have been shown live on Sky, except for England - something to do with the television rights/sponsor - unless there are replays during watering hole hours, you will have to find a local expat and get an invite for the evening.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

PaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to allPaulGent is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Robinsons

I am sorry to have to tell you that I am also a rugby nut - but a Welsh version! I have been here for 12 months and managed to see all the 6N on the Rugby channel. Last weekend I saw the Wales Oz game. The 6N games are usually shown live (at a bizarre hour of the day over here) and then repeated the follwoing day. I think the England games are shown unless they are played in HQ but even then they may be on the Rugby Channel but not live (Haha...not live - like all the England games!! - Just kidding!)

The Rugby channel costs about $15 per month on top of the Sky subscription. Not sure it actually worth it apart from the 6N as all the NZ games (Tr Nation, Super 14 and Air NZ Cup) are shown live on Sky Sports 1 and shown later on Prime)

You will be lucky to find any bar showing non NZ games from Europe. There are a handful in Auckland centre but it's not a good place to be at 4am on a Sunday morning! If you are in Tauranga then you are welcome to watch the games at my place.

Paul
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulGent
I am sorry to have to tell you that I am also a rugby nut - but a Welsh version! I have been here for 12 months and managed to see all the 6N on the Rugby channel. Last weekend I saw the Wales Oz game. The 6N games are usually shown live (at a bizarre hour of the day over here) and then repeated the follwoing day. I think the England games are shown unless they are played in HQ but even then they may be on the Rugby Channel but not live (Haha...not live - like all the England games!! - Just kidding!)

The Rugby channel costs about $15 per month on top of the Sky subscription. Not sure it actually worth it apart from the 6N as all the NZ games (Tr Nation, Super 14 and Air NZ Cup) are shown live on Sky Sports 1 and shown later on Prime)

You will be lucky to find any bar showing non NZ games from Europe. There are a handful in Auckland centre but it's not a good place to be at 4am on a Sunday morning! If you are in Tauranga then you are welcome to watch the games at my place.

Paul

The Long Beach in Waikanae Beach is showing NZ v France at 8am (12th & 19 Nov, so may well do 6Ns), (with breakfast avaliable) you need to reserve tables though
Old Nov 10th 2006, 6:48 am
The Robinsons

The Robinsons 2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PaulGent

Paul

Cheers Paul

I fear that after this weekend (Eng v ARG) Englands hopes in the 6N will be very limited anyway.Wales v Eng is the final game on St Paddy's Day. Having watched a bit of the Wales v Oz match and seeing the strength of the Irish teams in the European Cup, think that we will do well to get in the top 4.

This weekend I will be more interested in watching NZ v France - could be brutal.

We have not done our itinery yet but Tauranga is on our target list, so I may well come back to you on that offer. We are thinking of settling in Hawkes Bay although The Bay Of Plenty Development Agency did an excellent job at an Immigration roadshow we went along to. How come you settled there?

Not sure that I'll be able to persuade pregnant wife to watch in bars at 4am.

Cheers
Darren