Reload this Page >

Question for Nurses?

Question for Nurses?

Old Mar 28th 2008, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough
Default Question for Nurses?

Hi

I'm hoping that some nurses can help answer some questions for me with regards to nursing in New Zealand

After too many years thinking about a career in Nursing I have taken the step and I am about to start University here in the UK in September to do Adult Nursing. I am aiming to come out with a BSc in Adult Nursing on completion of my training.

I will hopefully have gained at least 1 years experience before we hopefully emigrate out to NZ (seems a long way off but I'm sure the time will fly by). Can anyone answer the following questions:

1. Is it possible to get a job with only 1 years experince after qualifing as a Registered Nurse?

2. Would I need to sit any further examinations in order to work in NZ?

3. What sort of wage would I start on?

4. If i was offered a job would I be expected to pay for any additional courses that I would be required to fulfil the job I was offered or are these covered by the health authority you work for?

5. Are there a good range of courses to do to further experience?

6. I have read on forum on another country that British Nurses are treated terribly by other nurses in another country - what are British Nurses treated like in NZ?

7. What are the opporutunties to progress like?

Any advice would be great regarding the questions I have as well as any general advice on any extras I may need to know about or qualifications I should think about before applying in a few years time. Yes I know I'm a bit ahead of myself, but I like to know what I need -call me orgainised

Tracy
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question for Nurses?

Originally Posted by Tracy24 View Post
Hi

I'm hoping that some nurses can help answer some questions for me with regards to nursing in New Zealand

After too many years thinking about a career in Nursing I have taken the step and I am about to start University here in the UK in September to do Adult Nursing. I am aiming to come out with a BSc in Adult Nursing on completion of my training.

I will hopefully have gained at least 1 years experience before we hopefully emigrate out to NZ (seems a long way off but I'm sure the time will fly by). Can anyone answer the following questions:

1. Is it possible to get a job with only 1 years experince after qualifing as a Registered Nurse?

4. If i was offered a job would I be expected to pay for any additional courses that I would be required to fulfil the job I was offered or are these covered by the health authority you work for?

6. I have read on forum on another country that British Nurses are treated terribly by other nurses in another country - what are British Nurses treated like in NZ?

Any advice would be great regarding the questions I have as well as any general advice on any extras I may need to know about or qualifications I should think about before applying in a few years time. Yes I know I'm a bit ahead of myself, but I like to know what I need -call me orgainised

Tracy
Hi T, all answers straight from the horses mouth so to speak..said animal has almost 3 years NZ nursing experience!!! Yes you will get a job, start around $45000, after 5 years in the region of $55k, no more training (other than NZ prof. development), loads of room for progress, excellent prof. development, no paying for courses (at our DHB anyway).

Kate says the bit about being treated poorly is not true from her experience anyway. Kate has just moved into palliative care and is like a pig in muck. After 13 years in the UK NHS she would never return, so I guess that's your second positive post in one evening re things NZ. We love it here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Thank you so much for that it's greatly appreciated. Nice to know UK nurses are well treated in NZ from your experiences as I had read a post on another countries board which most nurses were complaining at the treatment they were receiving (no names mentioned to which country it was as that would be unfair as it maybe just that one hospital or area and not the country as a whole).

All starting to sound promisingjust got to get the qualification now and get stuck into that assignment I should have started today!!!! Us students we leave everything to the last minute

Thanks again and no doubt I'll have some more questions soon.

Tracy
Old Mar 28th 2008, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Hi T, all answers straight from the horses mouth so to speak..said animal has almost 3 years NZ nursing experience!!! Yes you will get a job, start around $45000, after 5 years in the region of $55k, no more training (other than NZ prof. development), loads of room for progress, excellent prof. development, no paying for courses (at our DHB anyway).

Kate says the bit about being treated poorly is not true from her experience anyway. Kate has just moved into palliative care and is like a pig in muck. After 13 years in the UK NHS she would never return, so I guess that's your second positive post in one evening re things NZ. We love it here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty much the same for Donna and myself. Great developmental opportunity,unsure about 1 yrs experience as we don't see that too often-but qualified is qualified at the end of the day-it's all about orientation and preceptorship once you're here.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Danny, unfortuneately being a "mature student" and deciding to do this course now after years of humming and haaing over it with am I good enough etc etc i've left it a bit late to get much experience as I graduate a year before my husband leaves the RN! As you say qualified is qualified and I always believe in learing on the job so surely that will be good enough

Tracy
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tracy24 View Post
Hi

Yes it is, success will depend on in which area you apply for and where in the country you go for
No, you need to reg with the NZ council, which is quite an experience, the bare minimum of a 6 month process or in my case 8. They will require a course transcript from your uni and verification from the NMC
The basic has just gone up to around 50000 without shift allowances. In my case I can bolster it with nights, weekends and overtime.

I can only talk from experience here in Auckland, yes the hospital are very education aware as budgets allow. They will even reimburse your registration with the council, try that in the NHS!!! However, they will help with uni funding if you are resident, not on a work visa.
Yup, again depends which area you end up in.
Everyone has a different experience, I know of nurses not liking it and returning to the UK (I've only worked here 4 months). I learned to keep my mouth shut in orientation and not bleeting on about how we did it in the UK,, they don't like it and some things are very different here. If you find a practice or protocol which you feel is not the most effective, wait till you are established and bring evidence to a best practice meeting. No whingeing!!
In my area in the centre of the city they look good, if I want the hassle of politics and cr*p as part of my working life. I may decide I just want to show up to work, care for my patient to the best of my ability and go home satisfied I made a difference to someone. If I want the extra cash, i'll do the overtime!!

Tracy
Just my two cents tracey.