Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A question from a New Zealand newbie

A question from a New Zealand newbie

Old Oct 27th 2007, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Amanda Hart will become famous soon enoughAmanda Hart will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: A question from a New Zealand newbie

[QUOTE=Platty;5466450]My husband has the chance to interview for a job in New Zealand, its offers:

* Salary range between $90-105,000k nzd + 17.6% performance bonus
* Relocation package/expenses
* 2 year work visa
* Family also included

The job is for a fixed-line and/or Mobile GSM IP network solution design engineers, the pay seems a bit low at £33 to 38k or is it just me?
Also what is New Zealand like to live in as we have never considered it before?

Perhaps you guys can help?

Thanks in advanceUOTE

That sounds like a really good offer, we moved out at the end of July, a family of 4 with two children, my husband doesn't earn that much and I don't work as I have a 3yr old. We are doing fine but have found white goods very expensive and wish we had shipped the entire contents of our house across as its cost a fortune to furnish our new house. We live just outside Auckland and love it, the right balance of countryside, beaches and city. Fabulous!!
Amanda
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:44 am
Mad Bint

Platty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to all
Default Re: A question from a New Zealand newbie

Well I just like the thank everyone that has commented.

Last night my husband spent an hour on the phone to this companies HR dept (The company is called Alcatel), they really liked him and he is through to the next stage which is a technical interview

He is not sure whether he is going to take the job because hes been headhunted by another company & interviewed by them (second stage interview on Monday ) and another couple are waiting in the wings too. He is very popular atm

Anyways I just thought I'd pop my head in and give you guys an update.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 8:50 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

We have a friend who works at alcatel, if you want I'll try find out what he thinks of the job, he's been there a while and he is English so hopefully a good opinion.

Building is up the road from Courtney Place, above Mr Bun (cafe), pretty central and good bus links get to it.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Platty
My husband has the chance to interview for a job in New Zealand, its offers:

* Salary range between $90-105,000k nzd + 17.6% performance bonus
* Relocation package/expenses
* 2 year work visa
* Family also included

The job is for a fixed-line and/or Mobile GSM IP network solution design engineers, the pay seems a bit low at £33 to 38k or is it just me?
Also what is New Zealand like to live in as we have never considered it before?

Perhaps you guys can help?

Thanks in advance.

hi jacky g here....you are in much the same position as we were....garry got offered a great job with fantastis salary like your oh....we hadn't even spoke about new zealand before...next thing we knew 10 weeks later we were saying bye bye to all our friends and we were on the flight here...along with 2 kids and the dog....

havn't regreted it, and just coming for the adventure,and am now saying what will be will be...on that wage you will be fine...i'm not working we are living in a lovely house with pool,paying too much rent,but can't do anything about that now as we have signed for year.

but with the high wage we are living a debt free life,and living a good life...not just because of the money,but the whole lifestyle..
schooling,imo is much better out here,kiwi children are better behaved,our 13 year old is acting her age again,not trying to be 19,like most of the girls were back home....gl with your choices....
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:10 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
but with the high wage we are living a debt free life,and living a good life...not just because of the money
yeah...right...
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 9:58 am
Just Joined

nick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the roughnick99 is a jewel in the rough

Platty, maybe this will help. We had to do the same calculations recently. We spoke to a few recent expats and one told us that he earned in NZ about half what he earned in the UK (direct conversion NZ$ to £) but his standard of living was same/a little better. He was youngish/married/no kids.

Maybe the company offering the job can put your hubby in touch with some of their other expat employees, they can give you their opinions. My gf was actually offered more in NZ than she earns here (direct conversion again but she does have a lousy government salary) plus a generous relocation package so she snapped it up
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 12:49 pm
Mad Bint

Platty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to allPlatty is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
We have a friend who works at alcatel, if you want I'll try find out what he thinks of the job, he's been there a while and he is English so hopefully a good opinion.

Building is up the road from Courtney Place, above Mr Bun (cafe), pretty central and good bus links get to it.
Thanks I'll pass this on to Mr Platty
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

if you do decide to go to Nz, my advice apply for Permanent Residency as soon as you get there, even though it means you having to pay for some of the costs again (ie medicals etc). The company should be paying for the work permit, so hopefully it wont be too expensive for you to apply for residency once your in NZ.

The advantages of doing this are:
your oh can keep working on his work permit while the PR application is processed, not sure of the timeframes (a few months maybe)

You dont have to wait in the UK until the paperwork is finalised, workpermits get granted a lot quicker

Once you have PR you have a lot more flexibility and rights, ie you can work for any employer, and kids born in NZ will be citizens of NZ and the UK automatically, you start your clock running for NZ citizenship from the day you are granted PR, if you ever want to relocate to aus in the future you only need your NZ citizenship for that, after two years you get indefinate returning res visas, which means theoretically you could return to the UK if you want with the knowledge your free to live in NZ any time you want to in future, etc.

if the company closes or if your oh is made redundant on a WP he (and you) need to leave the country.

You will qualify after riding out the two year WP, but IMO the extra cost of a few 100 dollars is worth bringing the whole thing forward by two years. On the plus side you are in NZ and working, so no stress about when the application will be approved etc (believe me that reduction in stress about timeframes for PR applications to be approved is worth Lots and Lots of money)

anyway, good luck with your decision, exciting times isnt it......

Last edited by newkiwi; Nov 23rd 2007 at 2:48 pm. Reason: LOADS of typos
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:39 am
Mad Bint

Hi NewKiwi,

From what Mr Platty told me of the interview the company itself will kick off the PR process as the job is permanent.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:45 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi NewKiwi,

From what Mr Platty told me of the interview the company itself will kick off the PR process as the job is permanent.
I hope Alcatel know what the wait times are right now... but only YOU can apply for PR as I understand it. I paid my work permit fee, my accredited employer did the rest by handing over the coveted job offer.

Your hubby does need to remember one thing, though. When thinking about interviewing with a lot of companies, this is a small city. Many of the IT people in the same area know each other.

Anyway, just a thought.

Today I nearly got blown along the harbour while out walking with a colleague at lunch. OK minor exaggeration but it was nicer for the walk to and from the station, than at lunchtime.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:50 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Now I know this sounds like we are doing the next best thing (we probably are) but atm my husband earns about £50k and because we didn't get on the housing ladder early enough we are stuffed as we can't afford to buy our own place.

If he's currently on £50k in the UK, then IMO, that's a very good offer for NZ. Although you could always still negotiate. If the salary's potentially a deal breaker, he can in all likelihood get the $105k from the top end of the range offered/quoted.

One thing I would point out though since you mentioned the UK housing ladder, is that interest rates (for mortgages) are much higher in NZ (9%ish?) so I'd do some research into housing affordability (taking school zones into account if you have children), in the location concerned. The internet & search engines (google.co.nz) are a wealth of information to start with.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:33 am
Mad Bint

Thanks for the advice guys, Mr Platty already knows some people that work for Alcatel (He has worked with them) which should help

Regarding the PR I think they "might" be financing it but Mr Platty knows more than I about this.

House prices are scary in the UK atm, esp where we live so I don't think NZ interest rates can match it although we will do some research should Mr Platty be offered the job.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:17 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Go (come?). The fact is if you really hated it you could leave but if you love the country it could be a great new home for you, even short term.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 7:00 am
Mad Bint

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Go (come?). The fact is if you really hated it you could leave but if you love the country it could be a great new home for you, even short term.
If offered the job we will consider it very seriously
Old Nov 29th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

dave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud ofdave.and.lisa has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=lizard;5470410]You could buy a property in the north of england with an income like that, a fairly nice semi for about £120,000.

I am from Lancashire and if you can find me a fairly nice semi for that price i would kiss you from head to toe!!!!!!!!!!!!! we live in a not that great town but a goodish area in a cheapish semi which is worth 160k. We are going to NZ next year wanted to sell up a buy something here with no or as small a mortgage. we can hardly find a two bed terrace for that price. So we are going for broke and buying in NZ and hope to have a small mortgage there.. fingers crossed it works out and if not we will be living in a caravan on our return!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.