Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Question for JAJ or anybody that can help

Question for JAJ or anybody that can help

Old Sep 14th 2009, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

finks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nice
Default Question for JAJ or anybody that can help

Hi

We have recently moved to the UK but have decided to move back to NZ.
We all have NZ passports but my daughter only has her UK passport.She has dual nationality(UK and NZ).
She was born in NZ and her father was born there too.

My question is can she enter NZ on her UK passport or will we need to get her a NZ one?

Just to save having to get her NZ one at this stage.

TIA
Finks
Old Sep 14th 2009, 9:24 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Question for JAJ or anybody that can help

I can't think of anything to stop her entering NZ on a visitors visa with her UK passport.

I can see that there will may well be some questions as to why the rest of the family are on NZ passports but she hasn't one.

Why hasn't she got an NZ passport along with the rest of you.
Does her UK passport have PR and IRRV ?

I do feel this is a question which JAJ is best placed to answer for you , unless anyone here has had similar circumstances.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 2:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finks
Hi

We all have NZ passports but my daughter only has her UK passport.She has dual nationality(UK and NZ).

My question is can she enter NZ on her UK passport or will we need to get her a NZ one?

She needs a New Zealand passport. Any reason why she can't get one in London?
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I know plenty of people on UK passports here...surely the passport is only to get you into the country...do agree that an NZ one would be easier though
Old Sep 17th 2009, 1:59 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
I know plenty of people on UK passports here...surely the passport is only to get you into the country...do agree that an NZ one would be easier though
A UK passport on its own is not enough to live in New Zealand.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

i've always wondered how it works...my friend is a born and bred kiwi that only has a uk passport...so it must be possible.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 9:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pricklykina
i've always wondered how it works...my friend is a born and bred kiwi that only has a uk passport...so it must be possible.
What is their citizenship?

This girly may not have status in NZ on her own merit .
Dunno unless the OP gets back to us.

JAJ is pipe hot in this stuff.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 10:35 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya,

I'd be inclined to say to get her a NZ passport before she moves back.

My partner's niece, who moved to Auckland about 3 years ago from the US is a NZ citizen by descent (mum is a Kiwi). She didn't bother getting a kiwi passport before moving and just showed up at the airport with a one way ticket, her US passport and her NZ citizenship certificate. Airport staff gave her a lot of grief but let her on the flight after checking with immigration on the phone. However, she was also given a hard time by immigration on arrival and was detained until given the all clear She did apply for a kiwi passport a few days after arriving though

It may pay off for your daughter to get a kiwi passport beforehand..I know on the arrival card at the airport, there is a box to tick if you're a Kiwi arriving on another passport, but it may save you a bit of trouble in the long run

Hope this helps,

Jen

Hi

TIA
Finks
Old Sep 18th 2009, 2:46 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by urbanproject
My partner's niece, who moved to Auckland about 3 years ago from the US is a NZ citizen by descent (mum is a Kiwi).

If she stays in NZ for 5 years, she should "upgrade" her NZ citizenship to citizenship by grant:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent
Old Sep 18th 2009, 3:39 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
If she stays in NZ for 5 years, she should "upgrade" her NZ citizenship to citizenship by grant:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent
Thanks JAJ. That's exactly what she's planning on doing
Old Sep 18th 2009, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

finks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nicefinks is just really nice

Thanks JAJ for the advice
I just wanted to check if we could, makes sense just checking before we pay out and start filling in all the forms un-necessarly(done alot of that recently)

Like you guys mentioned would probably get loads of hassle at UK end, one way ticket and UK passport, plus possibility of not letting you on the plane in first place.
She will need one anyway.

Thanks again for some solid advice.

This is the end of a very long hard journey for us all.Once we land back home(NZ) no more emigrating for us.
We have learnt one thing NZ is home and alot of other hard things on the way.Main thing is though we will be where we all belong *** NZ ****
Old Sep 20th 2009, 11:09 pm
JAJ
Retired

T
This is the end of a very long hard journey for us all.Once we land back home(NZ) no more emigrating for us.
We have learnt one thing NZ is home and alot of other hard things on the way.Main thing is though we will be where we all belong *** NZ ****
You did well to get your NZ passport before leaving.

Regarding your daughter born in NZ read the following, although it may not be such a problem for the next generation to be solely NZ citizens:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent