British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Question for JAJ or anybody that can help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/question-jaj-anybody-can-help-630767/)

finks Sep 14th 2009 8:46 pm

Question for JAJ or anybody that can help

Hi

We have recently moved to the UK but have decided to move back to NZ.
We all have NZ passports but my daughter only has her UK passport.She has dual nationality(UK and NZ).
She was born in NZ and her father was born there too.

My question is can she enter NZ on her UK passport or will we need to get her a NZ one?

Just to save having to get her NZ one at this stage.

TIA
Finks

BEVS Sep 14th 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Question for JAJ or anybody that can help

I can't think of anything to stop her entering NZ on a visitors visa with her UK passport.

I can see that there will may well be some questions as to why the rest of the family are on NZ passports but she hasn't one.

Why hasn't she got an NZ passport along with the rest of you.
Does her UK passport have PR and IRRV ?

I do feel this is a question which JAJ is best placed to answer for you , unless anyone here has had similar circumstances.

JAJ Sep 15th 2009 2:20 am

Originally Posted by finks (Post 7931113)
Hi

We all have NZ passports but my daughter only has her UK passport.She has dual nationality(UK and NZ).

My question is can she enter NZ on her UK passport or will we need to get her a NZ one?

She needs a New Zealand passport. Any reason why she can't get one in London?

pricklykina Sep 15th 2009 7:49 am

I know plenty of people on UK passports here...surely the passport is only to get you into the country...do agree that an NZ one would be easier though

JAJ Sep 17th 2009 1:59 am

Originally Posted by pricklykina (Post 7932300)
I know plenty of people on UK passports here...surely the passport is only to get you into the country...do agree that an NZ one would be easier though

A UK passport on its own is not enough to live in New Zealand.

pricklykina Sep 17th 2009 9:41 am

i've always wondered how it works...my friend is a born and bred kiwi that only has a uk passport...so it must be possible.

BEVS Sep 17th 2009 9:53 am

Originally Posted by pricklykina (Post 7938787)
i've always wondered how it works...my friend is a born and bred kiwi that only has a uk passport...so it must be possible.

What is their citizenship?

This girly may not have status in NZ on her own merit .
Dunno unless the OP gets back to us.

JAJ is pipe hot in this stuff.

urbanproject Sep 17th 2009 10:35 am

Hiya,

I'd be inclined to say to get her a NZ passport before she moves back.

My partner's niece, who moved to Auckland about 3 years ago from the US is a NZ citizen by descent (mum is a Kiwi). She didn't bother getting a kiwi passport before moving and just showed up at the airport with a one way ticket, her US passport and her NZ citizenship certificate. Airport staff gave her a lot of grief but let her on the flight after checking with immigration on the phone. However, she was also given a hard time by immigration on arrival and was detained until given the all clear :unsure: She did apply for a kiwi passport a few days after arriving though :cool:

It may pay off for your daughter to get a kiwi passport beforehand..I know on the arrival card at the airport, there is a box to tick if you're a Kiwi arriving on another passport, but it may save you a bit of trouble in the long run :)

Hope this helps,

Jen :thumbup:

Originally Posted by finks (Post 7931113)
Hi

TIA
Finks

JAJ Sep 18th 2009 2:46 am

Originally Posted by urbanproject (Post 7938924)
My partner's niece, who moved to Auckland about 3 years ago from the US is a NZ citizen by descent (mum is a Kiwi).

If she stays in NZ for 5 years, she should "upgrade" her NZ citizenship to citizenship by grant:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent

urbanproject Sep 18th 2009 3:39 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 7941409)
If she stays in NZ for 5 years, she should "upgrade" her NZ citizenship to citizenship by grant:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent

Thanks JAJ. That's exactly what she's planning on doing :cool:

finks Sep 18th 2009 4:04 pm

Thanks JAJ for the advice :)
I just wanted to check if we could, makes sense just checking before we pay out and start filling in all the forms un-necessarly(done alot of that recently)

Like you guys mentioned would probably get loads of hassle at UK end, one way ticket and UK passport, plus possibility of not letting you on the plane in first place.
She will need one anyway.

Thanks again for some solid advice.

This is the end of a very long hard journey for us all.Once we land back home(NZ) no more emigrating for us.
We have learnt one thing NZ is home and alot of other hard things on the way.Main thing is though we will be where we all belong *** NZ ****

JAJ Sep 20th 2009 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by finks (Post 7943047)
T
This is the end of a very long hard journey for us all.Once we land back home(NZ) no more emigrating for us.
We have learnt one thing NZ is home and alot of other hard things on the way.Main thing is though we will be where we all belong *** NZ ****

You did well to get your NZ passport before leaving.

Regarding your daughter born in NZ read the following, although it may not be such a problem for the next generation to be solely NZ citizens:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Britis...hip_by_Descent