Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A question of communication?

A question of communication?

Old Oct 30th 2006, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Happy Wanderers is an unknown quantity at this point
Question A question of communication?

I don't want to appear like a NIMBY but I was wondering if anyone can offer some guidance. We are UK based and thought early this year, of moving from city to country. A mobile phone operator then decided to put up a base station less than 60m. from our house. Not wanting to risk both the children's and our health we considered our options. They seem limited as where ever we go in this country, we could move close to the potential site of another base station. This and other factors are making us reconsider the UK (quality of schooling, increase in stealth taxes, lack of political accountability etc.) Hence we are now considering making a move to NZ. I appreciate its is good to talk...(and how I've babbled...) but the main questions are ....what is the situation with base stations in NZ? Are there many in residential areas? Are the cells as densely packed as the UK? Are property prices adversely affected in NZ like the UK when one goes up? I'd welcome any comments.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:15 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question of communication?

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderers
I don't want to appear like a NIMBY but I was wondering if anyone can offer some guidance. We are UK based and thought early this year, of moving from city to country. A mobile phone operator then decided to put up a base station less than 60m. from our house. Not wanting to risk both the children's and our health we considered our options. They seem limited as where ever we go in this country, we could move close to the potential site of another base station. This and other factors are making us reconsider the UK (quality of schooling, increase in stealth taxes, lack of political accountability etc.) Hence we are now considering making a move to NZ. I appreciate its is good to talk...(and how I've babbled...) but the main questions are ....what is the situation with base stations in NZ? Are there many in residential areas? Are the cells as densely packed as the UK? Are property prices adversely affected in NZ like the UK when one goes up? I'd welcome any comments.
Welcome to the site and enjoy youre journey

I cannot help you with your questions because I have'nt been yet

But I do know a fair bit about RadHaz (radiation hazards) regarding antenea. Unless you are hanging off one 24/7 and I mean hangin off one then your safe
Old Oct 30th 2006, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderers
I hope you never use a cell phone either, as it is the people who use the phones that demand the coverage that requires the towers...
There are patches in NZ without towers, they are often mountainous, sparsely populated and are often difficult to access.
I would imagine that there might be less towers in NZ as there are only two competing companies (at the moment).
Seems like a daft thing to choose as a reason for immigrating.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Happy Wanderers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Apple12
I hope you never use a cell phone either, as it is the people who use the phones that demand the coverage that requires the towers...
There are patches in NZ without towers, they are often mountainous, sparsely populated and are often difficult to access.
I would imagine that there might be less towers in NZ as there are only two competing companies (at the moment).
Seems like a daft thing to choose as a reason for immigrating.
Thanks for the input. I know that it appears a 'daft' reason for immigrating. I can assure you that it is not the only reason to make the move. As I mentioned, it is one of many things that have changed in the UK over the past ten years or so. Most of which we have little or no control over. The fact that a base station mast has been put up near the house may in the long term, have no detrimental health impact, but until I know that, I don't want to take the chance. And I am realistic - there will be things like this in NZ.