British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   A question about timing... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/question-about-timing-376540/)

JaneAS May 30th 2006 1:20 pm

A question about timing...

I'm looking for guidance from those who have already migrated (or are about to leave) via the Skilled Migrant system. It's all a matter of timing. We have decided that we want to migrate at the start of next year.

At present, we can claim around 125 points, without a job offer, but using skills and experience where there is a shortage (IT Project Management).
I know once we submit the EOI it can stay in the pool for up to 6 months, but if it gets pulled sooner (and they pulled 86 in the last draw, for this category :) ), how long do you get until you submit the next stage of the paperwork?

I am planning to start the serious job hunting once the EOI has been selected, and if it doesn't get selected, then start job hunting earlier to boost my points.

So my dilemma is, when to submit our EOI???
If I submit it at the end of June, and it gets drawn in say July / August, how long does the next stage of paperwork take?
Or would I be better to wait until September / October? I don't want to leave it too late in case the rules change again...

And how long does that next stage take? Medicals, police clearance, qualifications, references etc?

And if we get through all that OK, what happens then if I still haven't got a job offer?

Any advice would be welcomed!

JaneAS

dreamfish May 30th 2006 3:30 pm

Re: A question about timing...

Originally Posted by JaneAS
I'm looking for guidance from those who have already migrated (or are about to leave) via the Skilled Migrant system. It's all a matter of timing. We have decided that we want to migrate at the start of next year.

At present, we can claim around 125 points, without a job offer, but using skills and experience where there is a shortage (IT Project Management).
I know once we submit the EOI it can stay in the pool for up to 6 months, but if it gets pulled sooner (and they pulled 86 in the last draw, for this category :) ), how long do you get until you submit the next stage of the paperwork?

I am planning to start the serious job hunting once the EOI has been selected, and if it doesn't get selected, then start job hunting earlier to boost my points.

So my dilemma is, when to submit our EOI???
If I submit it at the end of June, and it gets drawn in say July / August, how long does the next stage of paperwork take?
Or would I be better to wait until September / October? I don't want to leave it too late in case the rules change again...

And how long does that next stage take? Medicals, police clearance, qualifications, references etc?

And if we get through all that OK, what happens then if I still haven't got a job offer?

Any advice would be welcomed!

JaneAS

HI there - with ref to 'when to submit EOI' - i asked a similar question a month ago, and this is what two people responded:

if you apply now it will take a minimum of about 4 months to get your pr through, then you can stall having the visas stamped in your passport for 6 months, once they have been stamped in, then you have a year to get into the country

and remember thats a year just to enter the country - you get a residents returning visa at the same time that is valid for 2 years, so you could come over on a job hunt, activate your residency and then still not emigrate for up to 2 years after that, so I would go for it - its one box ticked!

And i think you should allocate yourself a few months to get your medicals and police check done (this takes the longest...)

Not sure on the rest of it. We too are looking for careers in IT. We did have 140 points tho, but no job offer. I am not planning on going over there till mid-end 2007 and have just had my EOI selected from the pool.

HTH, Kate.

brackley May 30th 2006 4:14 pm

we put our eoi form in jan 95, got pr in april with no job offer. you then have 6 months to submit your passport and once it has been stamped you have a yea to enter the country on pr. oh is going hoopfully 12th july and the kids and i are going 27th aug. good luck

marcimai May 30th 2006 4:29 pm

Crumbs Jane, I would get a move on if I were you! Our PR took 14 months with no job offer.

M.. May 30th 2006 5:58 pm

Hi Jane

As others have said its probably easier at each stage to slow the process down than it is to speed it up. We've been very lucky and gone from EOI to interview (today) in 3 months or so but it can take a lot longer.

In your shoes I'd get the EOI in soon.

Mandy

sarahw May 30th 2006 7:53 pm

Timing for applications can really vary.

We went down the skilled migrant route as my OH is an IT Project Manager. We put out EOI in early Dec 04, got it selected a few days later. We then got our Invitation to Apply on 18 Jan and delayed submitting that till the last minute (18 May) - that's the one where you need the medicals, police certs etc - the phone interview was a few days later and we got our stamps in our passports before the end of May 05. We then finally arrived over here Aug 05.

Good luck!

JaneAS May 31st 2006 11:22 am

Thanks folks, good advice (as always). This sort of information is so difficult to find on the 'official' sites, as it is largely down to personal experience.

So guess what I am planning for next weekend ..... EOI here we come!!!

Jane