Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A question about Permanent Residency.

A question about Permanent Residency.

Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

Auckland1974 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A question about Permanent Residency.

Hello All,

New to the site so be gentle!

My question is this.....

We've been in NZ now since Feb 2008 and have had PR since then. I'm wondering if we decide to head back to the UK to live for a while, would the PR expire after 'X' ammount of years?? Our Visas have had all the restrictions taken out. We planned on staying here to get our citizenship but after having a family out here, grandparents etc in the UK is proving to be a big factor, esp after being in the UK recently and seeing how much it meant to them and our son to have the family together.

So could we move back to the UK before we get citizenship and return in say 15years and just walk back into NZ with the PR visas we have now? or should we try and stay the next 20months or so and get our passports?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:47 pm
We're HERE!!!

Kija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond reputeKija has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A question about Permanent Residency.

Hi,

Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to say hello & welcome you to the forum

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be around shortly.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:47 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what the actual rules are but I'd be worried about chaging rules, on a visa (even PR) you are exposed to any changes in the PR/citizenship rules which could remove your status while you are absent, once you have NZ passports that is highly unlikely....
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Deepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really niceDeepseamark is just really nice

Originally Posted by Auckland1974
Hello All,

My question is this.....

We've been in NZ now since Feb 2008 and have had PR since then. I'm wondering if we decide to head back to the UK to live for a while, would the PR expire after 'X' ammount of years?? Our Visas have had all the restrictions taken out. We planned on staying here to get our citizenship but after having a family out here, grandparents etc in the UK is proving to be a big factor, esp after being in the UK recently and seeing how much it meant to them and our son to have the family together.

So could we move back to the UK before we get citizenship and return in say 15years and just walk back into NZ with the PR visas we have now? or should we try and stay the next 20months or so and get our passports?

Thanks in advance.
The rules can change without warning for example the returning residency visa has just recently changed as has the rules about bringing pets. For the sake of 20 months wait and get your NZ passport you will have no problems then
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 11:06 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

If you are able to wait then do the time and obtain your NZ citizenship. That way unconditional re-entry to NZ is ensured.

As Deepseamark states, PR is permanent residency so in theory you should be able to re-enter after xx amount of years but policies do change and NZIS may well question the absence or attach conditions to the re-entry.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Auckland1974
Hello All,

My question is this.....

Thanks in advance.
Hi Auckland1974,

We are in a similar position; moved here in Jan 08 and now heading back after 3 and a half years of good times here. The family are already in UK but I am just finishing out my notice and having a trade me bonanza. We were going to stay and apply for Citizenship, but are confident having spoken to immigration that we will be okay to come back with our residence should we wish to.

The way I look at it is that any major change to policy to revoke this would be widely communicated or at least filter back to me on grapevines such as this with sufficient time to decide whether to act and return. If we do return it is likely to be sooner rather than later, i.e. after evaluating in the next year if we did the right thing to go back to UK. At this stage, for the family reasons you mentioned it feels like we have.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers