Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Question about flying long haul with babies...

Question about flying long haul with babies...

Old Feb 9th 2012, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

BenP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about flying long haul with babies...

Hopefully in the not too distant future were flying to nz with our 8 month old daughter, I understand you can take bottles of made milk on board but our little ganet drinks a lot so any tips on what to do?

Obviously we will be stoping in either Asia or us depending which route we take. And can't imagine facilities to sterilise and remake more bottles in a departure lounge?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:12 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about flying long haul with babies...

found this:

http://www.babyabroad.co.uk/Baby-&-C...-children.html

but you would have to check each port of call for their limitations
Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

I am pretty sure that you will not be able to take pre-made bottles of milk/formula through security.

I am not up to date with all of the security issues, but I think how people get around it is to take sterliised bottles with them and then buy ready made formula milk in 200ml cartons (usually) airside from a Boots or similar. Apparently you can call ahead at Heathrow and ensure whatever shop has the forumula in stock that you want. Just make sure your little one has had the ready made stuff before you go, you don't want to fly all that way with either a hungry or unsettled baby
Old Feb 9th 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

From Air New Zealand website -

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/child...y-requirements
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:58 am
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BenP
Hopefully in the not too distant future were flying to nz with our 8 month old daughter, I understand you can take bottles of made milk on board but our little ganet drinks a lot so any tips on what to do?

Obviously we will be stoping in either Asia or us depending which route we take. And can't imagine facilities to sterilise and remake more bottles in a departure lounge?
I would just put them in a box with some air holes and lots of straw. That worked for the wee tortoise on 'blue peter' for months..
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:55 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

And like Arj Barker said on the Rock. For the sake of all the other passengers, get them to chip in and upgrade the baby.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Si19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud ofSi19761 has much to be proud of

We just pre ordered ours through Boots and picked up on other side of security - you can order the premade cartons for absolute ease albeit they cost a bit more. Worked really well and means you don't have to worry about hand luggage. Airline staff will clean bottles - you can buy steraliser bags as another option which go in a microwave which all the planes have... We took our own food on as well which we also pre ordered via boots as the airline tends to only do the cheaper jars...

Good luck it is much easier than you think it will be at that age... especially as you still get a cot and legroom
Old Feb 10th 2012, 8:28 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

We always found that made bottles and sealed jars of baby food were OK in quantities suitable for the flight providing mum was willing to taste the contents at security.

If you do that with baby food then be prepared to scoop out anything your tongue might have touched otherwise your saliva will turn the contents to mushier mush in a few hours when you need it!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 10:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
I would just put them in a box with some air holes and lots of straw. That worked for the wee tortoise on 'blue peter' for months..
Didn't they write the name of the tortoise on the shell too. I seem to remember FREDA as being her name.

I believe they had to replace said tortoise every so often with a new Freda . Might be more difficult with an 8 month old baby

Sure the reality of the journey & feeds will be much easier than the anticipation of it.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

neilyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Flew with my daughter just after the heightened security a few years back. We were allowed to take what we needed (not in glass jars) provided we taste-tested a few of them at the security checkpoint.

Would rather fly with a baby than a toddler!!
Old Feb 10th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

SparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really nice

No help to you but my wife was breast feeding, so I got the legroom and a peaceful flight......she however was knackered. Pretty sure they let four gallons of milk through security, so long as it's in your bulging bussoms. Who says men get it easy????
Old Feb 11th 2012, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

BenP is an unknown quantity at this point

I am hoping we get a front seat and bassinette as our little girl is a chunky little thing and im 6ft6 so her on my lap with some 5ft1 old lady on full recline in front wont work too well.

Thanks for the advice everyone some useful tips!
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that TGoDB & my advice wasn't one of those
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:45 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'm guessing that TGoDB & my advice wasn't one of those
what are you trying to say V????
Old Feb 12th 2012, 2:58 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I am hoping we get a front seat and bassinette as our little girl is a chunky little thing and im 6ft6 so her on my lap with some 5ft1 old lady on full recline in front wont work too well.

In daytime hours I have successfully argued the case with the cabin crew that seats should not be reclined if the passenger behind the recliner objects. BA are certainly willing to broadcast that if requested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.