British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Query re Canadian applying for second work visa in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/query-re-canadian-applying-second-work-visa-nz-875117/)

AOGT Mar 30th 2016 8:56 pm

Query re Canadian applying for second work visa in NZ

Hi, I'm asking this question on behalf of my Canadian girlfriend. We're both currently in NZ and I've just had my second WHV approved. However, we're really confused as to whether she is eligible/able to apply for her 11 month extention.

Situation is this:

She applied for her first NZ WHV on 18 March 2015.
On 1st April 2015 new rules came into place saying that Canadians can now get a second WHV giving them the same 23 month potential visa as UK citizens.
Last week my gf called Immigration NZ to ask if she was eligible to apply for the extension as was told by two people that she was not eligible to apply as she applied for her visa before the 1st April 2015 rule change.
A day later she visited an Immigration NZ office in Wellington and was told by two people that she was definitely eligible to apply.

This is confusing. We entered NZ in October 2016 and therefore the WHV wasn't 'activated' until this point. Is she eligible to apply for the 11 month extention? If she is, we've got a few months to get this done - but we'll need to pay $700 in fees (to immigration and for medical checks). Naturally we're very reluctant to pay this money if there is no chance of her being approved.

Canada Working Holiday Scheme

Can the wise bodies from this forum help us understand this situation?

Thank you

MrsFychan Mar 30th 2016 10:30 pm

Re: Query re Canadian applying for second work visa in NZ

If Wellington Immigration has said she is thats the best answer you will get as they are the people that deal with the applications and in the know.

escapedtonz Mar 31st 2016 12:36 am

Instead of getting a verbal from the Immigration office in Wellington, ask them to put it in writing that she is eligible, so at least you have the evidence if they subsequently decline the application.

simonsi Mar 31st 2016 1:46 am

Fill in the forms, take them to immigration and only pay the fee if they accept there and then she is eligible to apply.

I'd be VERY surprised if this point isn't answered in the immigration reference material though, that is usually comprehensive, they don't like immigration staff having to make stuff up as they are largely temp/seasonal staff on the frontline desks. You won't get a definitive answer from here, nor will quoting a "yes" from here alter an immigration "no".

A 2 second search on google brings up:

"Note: You will only be eligible for a 23-month visa under this scheme if you apply on or after 01 April 2015. If you already held a 12 month visa granted under this scheme on 01 April 2015, you cannot extend your visa."

On the NZ immigration website here: Canada Working Holiday Scheme

That would seem to indicate "no". Application date is the criteria they quote, not activation date etc etc

AOGT Mar 31st 2016 2:18 am

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 11909700)
Fill in the forms, take them to immigration and only pay the fee if they accept there and then she is eligible to apply.

I'd be VERY surprised if this point isn't answered in the immigration reference material though, that is usually comprehensive, they don't like immigration staff having to make stuff up as they are largely temp/seasonal staff on the frontline desks. You won't get a definitive answer from here, nor will quoting a "yes" from here alter an immigration "no".

A 2 second search on google brings up:

"Note: You will only be eligible for a 23-month visa under this scheme if you apply on or after 01 April 2015. If you already held a 12 month visa granted under this scheme on 01 April 2015, you cannot extend your visa."

On the NZ immigration website here: Canada Working Holiday Scheme

That would seem to indicate "no". Application date is the criteria they quote, not activation date etc etc

Thanks for the replies.

That application date is the bit which we're getting mixed information about. She was told that she had the visa prior to the 1st April but did not activate it. The two people in Immigration NZ who we spoke to said that their reading of it suggested that she is indeed eligible, whereas the phone people said not.

It doesn't seem possible to email INZ to get the information in writing, annoyingly. Not much point getting the confirmation of a "no" in writing. As for only paying in-person when handing in the forms, that's a good idea, though again the same concern about throwing the money away still sticks with me.

simonsi Mar 31st 2016 2:24 am

Originally Posted by AOGT (Post 11909715)
That application date is the bit which we're getting mixed information about.

Both sentences I quoted from the immigration website are consistent and each on their own mean you aren't eligible. Thats my reading.

I would expect a visit to an office would get your query pushed up the line until you get a definitive answer. If you aren't eligible to apply then there is no fee payable as the front desk staff are expected to weed out those cases before accepting your application.