Queenstown & Wanaka Surrounds

Queenstown & Wanaka Surrounds

Old Dec 8th 2014, 1:26 am
Just Joined

belle09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Queenstown & Wanaka Surrounds

Hi Everyone,

New to NZ and to this forum - pleasure to meet you all

We've recently moved to the Queenstown area. I work from home and my kiwi partner is in tourism, so it's his turn to pick where we base ourselves. Stunning location and equally stunning house prices!

We are in our mid 30s and are looking to make our first house purchase a smart one. We are definitely in the first time buyer zone in this neck of the woods and I'm trying to get a feel for where the next 'up and coming' area might be. Looks like Frankton and Arrowtown have already up and come! Are Glenorchy and Kingston just too far out to be sensible? Seen a couple of nice comments on here about Cromwell?

Any experienced insights would be very much appreciated. It's tough to get a read on a place this early on, but for various reasons we're keen to get on the ladder.

Many thanks!

B
Old Dec 8th 2014, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

outback sunset is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Queenstown & Wanaka Surrounds

Hi there and welcome,

I'm not in the area at the moment but winter sun is the thing to look out for and probably one of the most important things to keep in mind in any purchase in those areas. Kingston and Glenorchy are lovely, and a lot cheaper. I've met people who commute and are fine with the distance. Depends on your comfort level with winter driving, you'd need to ask locals how drivable the roads would be in ice. I'm not sure about winter sun at Kingston with the mountains so close, maybe something to check out as lovely as it is.
Try asking some local agents as I find they're usually very honest about these things.

I like Cromwell but bear in mind you may feel a bit isolated. I've never lived there so no idea what it's got going re social events, welcoming new comers etc. Anyway, they're all lovely locations so hope you find the best fit for you!

Last edited by outback sunset; Dec 8th 2014 at 4:06 am.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

jen_jen is an unknown quantity at this point

If only we knew!!

My partner and I have been here two years and most of Qtown and Arrowtown is out of range. The new estates in Shotover and Jacks point are I hear intended for the first time family buyer, but gees they are pricey too.

Shotover is being snapped up and Jacks point - no one appears that interested.

Glenorchy is not an option for us, just don't really 'feel' the place and that leaves Kingston. We are thinking about it and it seems affordable, we will go and adventure out there over the next few months and see how it feels. I know someone who lives there and comes into Queesntown each day, and I know of others who are thinking of buying, if everyone has to start going somewhere it could indeed be the up and coming place. The new bike path is open or will be soon so perhaps that will create a little bit of tourist atmosphere. As already pointed out, I'm not sure about the effects of the sun in Kingston (Can't be as bad as Frankton Road surely) we will have some adventures/picnics up there finding out.

There is Gibbston towards Cromwell. This appeals more I think because its 'on the way' to somewhere, wheras Kingston and Glenorchy are further past (if that makes sense). But its more expensive and probably too much for us.

Cromwell, feels too far away, but its a nice place.

I don't think I'm saying anything you didn't already know, but at least you're not alone!
Old Dec 9th 2014, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

outback sunset is an unknown quantity at this point

We were feeling a bit put off by the amount of building around Q/town and Wanaka when we were last there. Walking in the hills all you could see were housing estates where there used to be lovely hills and valleys. You could also see land being cleared for development and how much more land is still left to build on, and 'land for sale' signs everywhere. Pure NZ eh!

At least with the amount of development and land release you'd think house prices should stay steady, except maybe in the CBDs. A positive for the locals maybe. Some of the houses on the new estates seemed reasonably prices for an international holiday resort area, but for me I can't see the point of moving there just to live on a housing development on a tiny plot shoved in against everyone else. That's just me, if I had a good job or reason to be have to be there though why not?