British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Queenstown!!! NEED THE INFO! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/queenstown-need-info-403965/)

trigod Oct 24th 2006 10:08 am

Queenstown!!! NEED THE INFO!

OK so now I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited! Just had an email from a potential employer in Queenstown and they want to do a phone interview tonight/tomorrow!!!

So can people give me some feedback/info on Queenstown positives and negatives please!

Thank you!

PS. I am gonna snowboard my a**s off if I get the job! :)

P2L Oct 24th 2006 11:09 am

Re: Queenstown!!! NEED THE INFO!

Originally Posted by trigod
OK so now I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited! Just had an email from a potential employer in Queenstown and they want to do a phone interview tonight/tomorrow!!!

So can people give me some feedback/info on Queenstown positives and negatives please!

Thank you!

Just seen your posting. Can't tell you lots about Queenstown I'm afraid, (only there for four days) except expensive and the shotover jet is the best ever....!!!
Heard there's a massive investment plan for the area over the next few years. OH in construction and they're looking for loads of people for the area.

Good luck for your interview

Sarah

jeany Oct 24th 2006 11:31 am

Oh lucky you! Me and OH spent a winter season snowboarding in Queenstown 4 years ago. We loved it so much! We were just renting a room with some local kiwi guys so no idea how much houses are but I imagine pretty expensive. We are just doing our ITA at the mo and would love to head to Queenstown but I doubt we will be able to afford to, saying that OH is an electrician so if there are big developments going on then it could be a go go! I have a friend who is living there, she works as a teacher at the high school, she loves it!
We didn't find it mega expensive but I have read a few posts recently with people saying that it is really expensive. It's real touristy so loads going on. I really hope we do end up there! Good luck to you!

What company have you an interview with?

J

trigod Oct 24th 2006 11:42 am

Originally Posted by jeany
Oh lucky you! Me and OH spent a winter season snowboarding in Queenstown 4 years ago. We loved it so much! We were just renting a room with some local kiwi guys so no idea how much houses are but I imagine pretty expensive. We are just doing our ITA at the mo and would love to head to Queenstown but I doubt we will be able to afford to, saying that OH is an electrician so if there are big developments going on then it could be a go go! I have a friend who is living there, she works as a teacher at the high school, she loves it!
We didn't find it mega expensive but I have read a few posts recently with people saying that it is really expensive. It's real touristy so loads going on. I really hope we do end up there! Good luck to you!

What company have you an interview with?

J

See you on the slopes!!!! Its with a design company Fluid ( I an a Graphic Designer!)

chelsey Oct 25th 2006 5:38 am

Originally Posted by trigod

Thank you!

Hi fellow snowboarder!

My husband and I have been in NZ since early June and have spent the whole time down in Queenstown thoroughly enjoying the snow and learning to snowboard! So I thought I would let you know of a few of our positives and negatives!

On the positive side the scenery is fantastic and IMO one of the best views in the world! You have an amazing variety of tramps, mountain bike trails and adrenalin sports at your finger tips (some at a hefty price though!). We had a choice of 3 if not 4 skifields within a reasonable drive and a few more further afield offering all sorts of variety of slopes for all abilities. They seem to take advantage of what the place offers and actually enjoy their surrounding landscape as well (but maybe that is NZ in general?).

On the negative side we have decided QT isn't for us. We are in our mid thirties and have found the town very young! There is a huge drinking/partying scene which you might enjoy, but it's not really our thing. It is full of transient tourists who drive atrociously and we've found it quite difficult to make friends. The city is also driven by tourists and real estate developments and everything seems to hinge around money! We have also found it very expensive to live here (fuel/rent/supermarket shopping is all more expensive here) so make sure they offer you a decent salary and make sure you don't live in Fernhill otherwise you end up with $1500/month electricity bills (it doesn't get any sun!).

As you can see our negatives out weigh our positives hence our move up North in December but everyone is different! Having said that if we were 10 years younger we would think about settling here!

I hope your interview went well - I don't mean to put you off but if you have any other questions just let me know.

Best
Slopestylee Chelsey :)