Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

quarantine on dogs arrival or not?

quarantine on dogs arrival or not?

Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:14 am
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all
Default quarantine on dogs arrival or not?

Hi

I just wondered if anyone could clarify the current situation for me. Our dog arrives next week. She will have had all her tests etc done in UK so will have no problems coming in.

Do dogs have to remain under house arrest for 3 weeks as I think I have read somewhere or is this not necessary?
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: quarantine on dogs arrival or not?

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
Hi

I just wondered if anyone could clarify the current situation for me. Our dog arrives next week. She will have had all her tests etc done in UK so will have no problems coming in.

Do dogs have to remain under house arrest for 3 weeks as I think I have read somewhere or is this not necessary?
No quarantine if coming from the UK - but that is only if the UK is the only country they have ever been in and they haven't gone abroad to France etc. Ours had no quarantine
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

we picked ours up 20 mins after the plane landed
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Bikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really nice

No quarantine for ours either, but be aware that they might look a little stressed out - our dog was on the older side, but the flight took it's toll on her and she took a few days to adjust after arrival.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

we are a couple of old hippys with bikes and we are only down the road from you in Mandeville, come and say hello

Neil
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bikerhippychick
No quarantine for ours either, but be aware that they might look a little stressed out - our dog was on the older side, but the flight took it's toll on her and she took a few days to adjust after arrival.
hi, can i ask how old she was? thanks
Old Nov 24th 2010, 3:44 am
Just Joined

Bikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really niceBikerhippychick is just really nice

Hi, yes of course, she was 11. We couldn't bear to leave her behind, we'd had her before we got married and had the kids, and the vet said she was fit and well to travel. She looked terrible when she got here though, but she was with us when she finally passed away last year.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bikerhippychick
Hi, yes of course, she was 11. We couldn't bear to leave her behind, we'd had her before we got married and had the kids, and the vet said she was fit and well to travel. She looked terrible when she got here though, but she was with us when she finally passed away last year.
ah that's lovely. I ask as it's something my parents are looking into, their dog is around a similar age and the vet says she would be fine to travel. Although I worry as she's older it would not do her any good. I doubt they could bear to part with her either if it ever came to they coming over here. THanks
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Hi, tell your parents to bring the dog, I think we would have regretted leaving her behind. I don't regret the decision, even though she was only was only with us for 6 months after she arrived.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

And dogs get jetlag too I did read that by Jan n Neil but didn't really appreciate it until she was jumping around on us at 3am wanting to be fed - 4 nights in a row For your peace of mind sort out a vet and take the pooch along a week later for a checkup just for your peace of mind. Ours had picked up an ear infection but then she gets just about everything going so that wasn't too much of a surprise bless her

make sure your hounds get on the early flight if coming through Auckland ie landing at 6.30 in the morning if going through LA otherwise you will be stuck in a 2hr queue waiting for customs to sort out your paperwork whilst your dog is left sitting in her cage on a trolly somewhere in a warehouse if they come through earlier no queue - one would hope! Sorry don't let my rant put you off as our dog was fine, but it was very frustrating!

On the upside they always let them out for the loo as soon as they get them off the plane.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

our oldest dog was either 10 or 11 (not sure he was a rescue) when we brought him over a nd he,s still going strong 15 months later

Neil
Old Nov 26th 2010, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Pointer is on a distinguished road

if our two dont start behaving they wont be coming and they have been told as much.

they looked at me to agree then ran off into the woods, I am sure they are plotting to remove me as the pack leader
Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

dandctaylor is an unknown quantity at this point

We picked Merlin up straight from Auckland Airport and the only real issue was the tooing and Froing between the Air NZ freight warehouse and the MAF (i think) office in the main terminal. Mind you, i think the longest wait was waiting for Merlin to stop weeing, i'm not sure he'd peed since going into his crate 36 hours previously.
Not sure if this is the same with all carriers but we got to keep the crate he flew in so we now have a 90cm by 70cm x 70cm airline certified dog crate for any future travels. Just make sure that you leave some space in the car for it.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:14 am
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Originally Posted by londonescapee
And dogs get jetlag too I did read that by Jan n Neil but didn't really appreciate it until she was jumping around on us at 3am wanting to be fed - 4 nights in a row For your peace of mind sort out a vet and take the pooch along a week later for a checkup just for your peace of mind. Ours had picked up an ear infection but then she gets just about everything going so that wasn't too much of a surprise bless her

make sure your hounds get on the early flight if coming through Auckland ie landing at 6.30 in the morning if going through LA otherwise you will be stuck in a 2hr queue waiting for customs to sort out your paperwork whilst your dog is left sitting in her cage on a trolly somewhere in a warehouse if they come through earlier no queue - one would hope! Sorry don't let my rant put you off as our dog was fine, but it was very frustrating!

On the upside they always let them out for the loo as soon as they get them off the plane.
never thought of jetlag - good point.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:16 am
Newbie in New Zealand

Originally Posted by dandctaylor
We picked Merlin up straight from Auckland Airport and the only real issue was the tooing and Froing between the Air NZ freight warehouse and the MAF (i think) office in the main terminal. Mind you, i think the longest wait was waiting for Merlin to stop weeing, i'm not sure he'd peed since going into his crate 36 hours previously.
Not sure if this is the same with all carriers but we got to keep the crate he flew in so we now have a 90cm by 70cm x 70cm airline certified dog crate for any future travels. Just make sure that you leave some space in the car for it.
yes we're travelling air new zealand arriving 7am. Crate is a bonus.

How quickly were you out of the airport?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.