British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   In a quandary.....flights, family and dosh! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/quandary-flights-family-dosh-918997/)

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 5th 2018 3:47 am

In a quandary.....flights, family and dosh!

Just thought I'd see if anyone of you lovely folk has any experience with changing flights due to changing family circumstances and how to avoid horrendous charges etc., and things I should be aware of in advance.
Just a bit of background to start off with as I haven't booked anything as yet. My parentals are not spring chickens anymore, Dad born 1934 and Mum born 1936, both are getting extremely frail and my mum has enjoyed very poor health for a number of years now! TBH I have been expecting her to cark it for most of the 12 years we have been here but despite a few close calls she's stubbornly hanging on in there. Sorry if I sound a little callous but I'm not particularly close to her, though she's in denial and thinks that we are.
Mum has been getting increasingly tearful whenever we've spoken in the past few months and I received an email from a friend of hers last week telling me how tearful she was at the mention of mine and hubby's names. I have said that I will go over next year probably March/April time but in truth I haven't done more than look at flights somewhat half-heartedly. I'm concerned that if I book my flights now and then something happens in the meantime, I won't be able to afford to go over urgently.

I just feel really stuck and so I'm procrastinating!
Will travel insurance cover an eventuality such as this, so that I can cancel pre-booked flights or do I need to book flexible flights? I would be looking at travelling Singapore airlines via Changi as that is my preferred airline and route to the UK.
Interested to know if others have had to deal with a similar situation.

TIA

Pollyana Nov 5th 2018 3:58 am

Re: In a quandary.....flights, family and dosh!

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 12588043)
Just thought I'd see if anyone of you lovely folk has any experience with changing flights due to changing family circumstances and how to avoid horrendous charges etc., and things I should be aware of in advance.
Just a bit of background to start off with as I haven't booked anything as yet. My parentals are not spring chickens anymore, Dad born 1934 and Mum born 1936, both are getting extremely frail and my mum has enjoyed very poor health for a number of years now! TBH I have been expecting her to cark it for most of the 12 years we have been here but despite a few close calls she's stubbornly hanging on in there. Sorry if I sound a little callous but I'm not particularly close to her, though she's in denial and thinks that we are.
Mum has been getting increasingly tearful whenever we've spoken in the past few months and I received an email from a friend of hers last week telling me how tearful she was at the mention of mine and hubby's names. I have said that I will go over next year probably March/April time but in truth I haven't done more than look at flights somewhat half-heartedly. I'm concerned that if I book my flights now and then something happens in the meantime, I won't be able to afford to go over urgently.

I just feel really stuck and so I'm procrastinating!
Will travel insurance cover an eventuality such as this, so that I can cancel pre-booked flights or do I need to book flexible flights? I would be looking at travelling Singapore airlines via Changi as that is my preferred airline and route to the UK.
Interested to know if others have had to deal with a similar situation.

TIA

When you book, check the small print for that fare. Most f the big arlines like Qantas and SIngapore will do a fare that is changeable for a small fee.- Qantas is usually around $99 Aus - and then you will now that you can change the date of either outbound or return flight if necessary.
No need to book fully flexible, as thats usually really pricey, you should find there is something inbetween. I always book with the ability to change dates, for exactly the same reason.

Thairetired2016 Nov 5th 2018 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12588049)
When you book, check the small print for that fare. Most f the big arlines like Qantas and SIngapore will do a fare that is changeable for a small fee.- Qantas is usually around $99 Aus - and then you will now that you can change the date of either outbound or return flight if necessary.
No need to book fully flexible, as thats usually really pricey, you should find there is something inbetween. I always book with the ability to change dates, for exactly the same reason.

This is correct as long as you can change into the same fare category which may not be available on your preferred date.
Enquire if an upgrade is possible if your fare category is not available. Some fares do not allow upgrades or may work out dearer than a full flex to start with.

scrubbedexpat094 Nov 11th 2018 3:48 am

Many thanks both. After procrastinating for a few days, I decided to go ahead and book my flights this afternoon. After some considerable time spent researching whether to fly into Manchester or Heathrow, I decided on Heathrow as it allowed me to fly solely with Singapore Air and have a long layover time in Singapore. I like to grab a sleep at Changi Transit Hotel and have a Singapore Sling in the bar! Have booked Flexi-economy tickets and taken out travel insurance which seems to cover cancellations, fingers crossed on that one!!!!
Heading home in May and return to NZ in June, so I shall be pretty annoyed if the parents cark it before then!