Quality of houses

Old Jun 17th 2011, 10:30 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality of houses

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
It has be unusually cold this side of the Tasman, bright warm sunny days but followed by clear nights with temperatures well into single figures. However, never once have I seen water on the windows of my house here, in New Zealand I would have them open every day to allow the moisture to escape. Nor have I had need of the dehumidifyer I purchased in Auckland,

We're not so far apart - in distance, culture or housing styles but there is a world of difference in quality and comfort in houses between the two countries.
Air comes over central Oz (ie a desert) and it dries out, when flowing to the East over the Tasman it picks up moisture from the sea so is humid by the time it gets to NZ.....
Old Jun 18th 2011, 10:44 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

It has be unusually cold this side of the Tasman, bright warm sunny days but followed by clear nights with temperatures well into single figures. However, never once have I seen water on the windows of my house here, in New Zealand I would have them open every day to allow the moisture to escape. Nor have I had need of the dehumidifyer I purchased in Auckland,

We're not so far apart - in distance, culture or housing styles but there is a world of difference in quality and comfort in houses between the two countries.
Did you ever live in Melbourne? My experience there was the apartments were made of nylon, or may as well have been.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:51 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Did you ever live in Melbourne? My experience there was the apartments were made of nylon, or may as well have been.
I've never lived in a flat, or in Melbourne.

Originally Posted by simonsi
Air comes over central Oz (ie a desert) and it dries out, when flowing to the East over the Tasman it picks up moisture from the sea so is humid by the time it gets to NZ.....
You should be here in the summer!
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:59 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

This is a masonry house chosen at random in Pacific Pines south of Brisbane.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ines-106769313

It is similar to a modern home in Albany, Auckland in that it has a wooden frame. However, the skin is masonry, in Auckland it will be plaster.

The insulation will probably be better in Pac Pines because of the summer heat and it will have some form of termite protection. It also has ducted air conditioning - cool air in summer, warm in winter.

It wouldn't take much to get homes in New Zealand up to the same standard.

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Jun 20th 2011 at 3:01 am.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

This is a masonry house chosen at random in Pacific Pines south of Brisbane.

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ines-106769313

It is similar to a modern home in Albany, Auckland in that it has a wooden frame. However, the skin is masonry, in Auckland it will be plaster.

The insulation will probably be better in Pac Pines because of the summer heat and it will have some form of termite protection. It also has ducted air conditioning - cool air in summer, warm in winter.

It wouldn't take much to get homes in New Zealand up to the same standard.
I don't know about Queensland, but my home is almost exactly the same construction as my home in the frozen wastes of NE Scotland, a timber frame house with 50mm insulation + 50mm cavity + external brick veneer. The main difference is the concrete base here and a floating chipboard floor over there and having two dwangs here instead of one over there and electric panel & storage heaters there and A/C here. I know which of those is cheaper to run and more effective!
My main gripe with kiwi construction is aluminium joinery, give me wood or upvc any day.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:01 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

You should be here in the summer!
Did a few years in Saudi, always made me smile when you get in the car first thing in the morning, turn on and the temp gauge jumps up to the normal running temp