Quality of houses

Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:09 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality of houses

course it is. I said that.

But it doesn't mean that it's fact just because people have found it to be one way in a particular way that it is actually that way. And things *are* given on this site as fact....when they are often experience. That could work either positively or negatively but it doesn't mean that 20 people saying "New Zealand didn't insulate houses until the late 90s or 2000s" makes it correct. Nor does it make it correct if loads of people say that housing doesn't need insulation in Auckland (for instance) because of its mild temperature.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:48 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I put gas central heating into my last UK house with a combi system so simple just gas mains water and electric in and rad feeds. The combi even came with the Carbide drill for the wall fixings. So what are if any restrictions in NZ for DIY?
Biggest restriction could be finding a property with mains gas connected, if down a right of way to a back section then cost could be prohibitive, guess cylinders???
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict
i would say even that is brave as the other very big issue is siting the flue correctly.
That again is a job for an experienced engineer. You would be mad to DIY that. Wrong fitting flues can be deadly.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:22 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
You need a corgi type thingy to play with gas just like you do in the UK. If it all goes tits up you will have no insurance cover and possibly a nice little court case to deal with. I guess there is nothing to stop you doing everything EXCEPT the gas and getting a fitter to do that bit. I don't think you need consent or ought like that (so long as the gas bit is done by an expert with the right certs).
Yes with the Corgi aspect, though I did the gas fitting myself and had the job certified by a registered fitter. So just the gas fitting and flue lining through the wall for insurance purposes then. Then wether the combustable comes mains or bottled makes no matter other than jetting.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

So just the gas fitting and flue lining through the wall for insurance purposes then.
Assuming you aren't lighting it by rubbing two sticks together, you'll need qualified sparky to sign off too.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:05 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Assuming you aren't lighting it by rubbing two sticks together, you'll need qualified sparky to sign off too.
Ah yes forgot ignition and pump.... suppose NZ regs say even a simple connection such as a combi needs appro.....
Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:55 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes forgot ignition and pump.... suppose NZ regs say even a simple connection such as a combi needs appro.....
In theory a plug change needs a qualified Sparky IIRC...
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

So what are if any restrictions in NZ for DIY?
We will be using 45Kg LPG bottled gas as no gas mains in our suburb, so we need a plumber to do the gas connection, and he can do the main water connection for the hot water at the same time (combi boiler).

Then, as already mentioned, we need a sparky to sign off as well. Depends which rules you read and how you apply them. If I fit a plug on the end and plug in then no need. If we hard wire it then yes I need a sparky to sign off.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by simonsi
In theory a plug change needs a qualified Sparky IIRC...
http://www.consumerbuild.org.nz/publ...electrical.php
Has this changed?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:13 am
It is what it is Member

No idea if that is current though it looks useful, plug rule was quoted on here before we moved out last year, anecdotes don't make data eh?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi
No idea if that is current though it looks useful, plug rule was quoted on here before we moved out last year, anecdotes don't make data eh?
Strange the way things are made to sound more official, it's exactly the same in the UK until you look into what is DIY and not. I can understand keeping important jobs away from idiots but legislation hasn't achieved that.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 4:06 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
course it is. I said that.

But it doesn't mean that it's fact just because people have found it to be one way in a particular way that it is actually that way. And things *are* given on this site as fact....when they are often experience. That could work either positively or negatively but it doesn't mean that 20 people saying "New Zealand didn't insulate houses until the late 90s or 2000s" makes it correct. Nor does it make it correct if loads of people say that housing doesn't need insulation in Auckland (for instance) because of its mild temperature.
But it's very difficult to get 'facts' that show what it's really like for a person used to a certain way of living in the UK or north america to live in NZ, which is why reading anecdotes is important. A fact may be "x number of houses in NZ have been insulated with pink batts since 1978". Sounds great, but if your expectation coming from the UK or Canada is a different standard of building, window framing, heating, etc. you might be shocked at the difference between "insulated house in NZ" and "insulated house in UK". Building codes are different, the way things are measured are different...facts only give a small piece of the picture.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 5:25 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9361586.stm

Have a good browse, still standing and very very old and extremely nice to live in I used to live in one when my late father returned from war duty. Nowdays there will be 101 reasons why they are not suitable but strangely in the UK people are turning away from what is loosely termed 'brick built' because of the thin single skin of brick used and turning to Canadian Cedar and various Scandinavian simulars. Don't use modern UK standards of housing as a shining example of utopia.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 6:02 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/9361586.stm

Have a good browse, still standing and very very old and extremely nice to live in I used to live in one when my late father returned from war duty. Nowdays there will be 101 reasons why they are not suitable but strangely in the UK people are turning away from what is loosely termed 'brick built' because of the thin single skin of brick used and turning to Canadian Cedar and various Scandinavian simulars. Don't use modern UK standards of housing as a shining example of utopia.
Ok seriously...where the hell did I say UK housing was utopia?? I am SO TIRED of people reading stuff that isn't there. /rant
Old Jun 14th 2011, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Ok seriously...where the hell did I say UK housing was utopia?? I am SO TIRED of people reading stuff that isn't there. /rant
Who the hell is talking to you? My posting was a general observation about Uk housing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.