Quality of houses

Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:36 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality of houses

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yeah, nah it ain't all that cold at all! I wonder whatever the shops must all be thinking, packed full to the gunwhales of 'Winter Warming' offers. Heaters of every imaginable kind on display by the front door of every major store; yards and yards of flannelette sheeting in all their full floral glory, the fake mink blankets, thermal undies, hot water bottles, fleecy jamas and dehumidifiers are all totally wasted here, eh?
Are those electric throws (electric blankets for couches) still popular over there? people were raving about them last winter.

One thing I do not miss about New Zealand is having to be an expert on the selection, purchase, chopping, splitting, storage or burning of fire wood.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Are those electric throws (electric blankets for couches) still popular over there? people were raving about them last winter.
I have seen some tartan ones in The Red shed but I think these are more popular; don't have to worry about power cuts and go so much better with ones cheap nasty ugg inspired house boots.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jun 12th 2011 at 10:09 am.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

I was so surprised at the first winter in NZ living in a rental. God it was cold. Sleeping with a beanie on and heaters going full bore all night long. Never again.

The wife and I spent 2 years looking for the 'right' house and almost gave up, but last June we found one that very nearly ticked every box on our wish list. You have to comp[romise on somethings, so no internal acess and not the best evening sun but good enough.

We spent last summer getting this lot in the loft

And now the loft is fully insulated

We also had the walls injected with Airfoam and that has made a huge difference especially with noise reduction.

A couple of weeks ago we had a few kiwi friends around and they were amazed when I opened the front door and was stood wearing a t shirt and jeans. They could not work out why the house was so warm, and not just one room at a time.

It isn't rocket science!!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:55 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

The plural of anecdote is not data isn't down to me unfortunately!

here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleverchap
I was so surprised at the first winter in NZ living in a rental. God it was cold. Sleeping with a beanie on and heaters going full bore all night long. Never again.

The wife and I spent 2 years looking for the 'right' house and almost gave up, but last June we found one that very nearly ticked every box on our wish list. You have to comp[romise on somethings, so no internal acess and not the best evening sun but good enough.

We spent last summer getting this lot in the loft

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45...P3050432-1.jpg

And now the loft is fully insulated
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y45...p/P3050439.jpg

We also had the walls injected with Airfoam and that has made a huge difference especially with noise reduction.

A couple of weeks ago we had a few kiwi friends around and they were amazed when I opened the front door and was stood wearing a t shirt and jeans. They could not work out why the house was so warm, and not just one room at a time.

It isn't rocket science!!
We installed european c/h, double glazing and a few other creature comforts and our house too is very warm and cosy. Where there is a will there is a way. Obviously if you are renting you are at the behest of your land person.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

cleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to allcleverchap is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Genesis
We installed european c/h, double glazing and a few other creature comforts and our house too is very warm and cosy. Where there is a will there is a way. Obviously if you are renting you are at the behest of your land person.
Yes sadly you are We have found a supplier for CH and thats next on the list.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 10:55 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess

Well thanks for sharing it
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:39 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleverchap
Yes sadly you are We have found a supplier for CH and thats next on the list.
I put gas central heating into my last UK house with a combi system so simple just gas mains water and electric in and rad feeds. The combi even came with the Carbide drill for the wall fixings. So what are if any restrictions in NZ for DIY?
Old Jun 13th 2011, 12:27 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

yuss. if it's outside what you are allowed to do, don't get caught
Old Jun 13th 2011, 12:39 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I put gas central heating into my last UK house with a combi system so simple just gas mains water and electric in and rad feeds. The combi even came with the Carbide drill for the wall fixings. So what are if any restrictions in NZ for DIY?
I take it you're a corgi registered fitter then.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I take it you're a corgi registered fitter then.
JMH - totally off topic but isn't it time you did an update on how you have settled back into kiwi life.....I am really interested!!!!!

Sorry for the thread hijack!
Old Jun 13th 2011, 1:02 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
JMH - totally off topic but isn't it time you did an update on how you have settled back into kiwi life.....I am really interested!!!!!

Sorry for the thread hijack!
OK, I'll do an update soon. In summary though, am settling in really well and feel I've made the right decision. Thanks Dannigirl.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
You need a corgi type thingy to play with gas just like you do in the UK. If it all goes tits up you will have no insurance cover and possibly a nice little court case to deal with. I guess there is nothing to stop you doing everything EXCEPT the gas and getting a fitter to do that bit. I don't think you need consent or ought like that (so long as the gas bit is done by an expert with the right certs).
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

coffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nicecoffeeaddict is just really nice

Originally Posted by Genesis
You need a corgi type thingy to play with gas just like you do in the UK. If it all goes tits up you will have no insurance cover and possibly a nice little court case to deal with. I guess there is nothing to stop you doing everything EXCEPT the gas and getting a fitter to do that bit. I don't think you need consent or ought like that (so long as the gas bit is done by an expert with the right certs).
i would say even that is brave as the other very big issue is siting the flue correctly.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess

To which I say...so? A forum is for people to talk..anecdotally...that's the whole point.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jun 13th 2011 at 8:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.