British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   qualifications/apprenticeship nz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/qualifications-apprenticeship-nz-330598/)

duffy Oct 10th 2005 2:00 pm

qualifications/apprenticeship nz

hi could anyone clarify what is meant in the EOI form under trade qualifications city and guilds 1&2 together with evidence of a completed apprenticeship registered with a recognised industry body as i studied full time on a two year course and went straight into full time employment how was i meant to gain an apprenticeship? is this critical to my application?

Dave and Lyns Oct 10th 2005 5:45 pm

Re: qualifications/apprenticeship nz

Originally Posted by duffy
hi could anyone clarify what is meant in the EOI form under trade qualifications city and guilds 1&2 together with evidence of a completed apprenticeship registered with a recognised industry body as i studied full time on a two year course and went straight into full time employment how was i meant to gain an apprenticeship? is this critical to my application?

Hi there and welcome to the forum! :)

You can have your qualifications assessed by going to http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/

Also there is a magazine called Fresh Start (that you should be able to get from WH Smith) and the October issue is focusing this month on New Zealand which has a 30 page immigration Report that includes some information on how to get your qualifications assessed. The application can be done on-line (or by post, courier or fax), costs NZ$75 and the result is issued within 10 working days.

As for apprenticeships, take for example Electrical Contracting. You take City and Guilds 1 & 2 of Electrical Installation whilst you are on an apprenticeship which is registered with a recognised industry body (in that case the JIB). This effectively involves on the job training, etc, during approx four years, when at the end you take a practical exam to complete the apprenticeship. I'm not sure about other trades though.

So, in your case, taking it full-time and the fact that you weren't in an apprenticeship at the time means that you wouldn't be able to go that route but still have your qualifications assessed if you need to. By the way, what was the C&G1+2 in and what area do you work?

Cheers,
Dave

duffy Oct 10th 2005 6:19 pm

[QUOTE=Dave and Lyns]Hi there and welcome to the forum! :)

Also there is a magazine called Fresh Start (that you should be able to get from WH Smith) and the October issue is focusing this month on New Zealand which has a 30 page immigration Report that includes some information on how to get your qualifications assessed. The application can be done on-line (or by post, courier or fax), costs NZ$75 and the result is issued within 10 working days.

As for apprenticeships, take for example Electrical Contracting. You take City and Guilds 1 & 2 of Electrical Installation whilst you are on an apprenticeship which is registered with a recognised industry body (in that case the JIB). This effectively involves on the job training, etc, during approx four years, when at the end you take a practical exam to complete the apprenticeship. I'm not sure about other trades though.

So, in your case, taking it full-time and the fact that you weren't in an apprenticeship at the time means that you wouldn't be able to go that route but still have your qualifications assessed if you need to. By the way, what was the C&G1+2 in and what area do you work?

Cheers,
Dave[/QUOTE

duffy Oct 10th 2005 6:24 pm

[QUOTE=duffy]

Originally Posted by Dave and Lyns
Hi there and welcome to the forum! :)

Cheers,
Dave[/QUOTE

Thanks dave work area is catering
regards paul& kath

chay and kerrie Oct 11th 2005 2:26 pm

Dont no whether this helps but iam a carpenter and joiner NVQ level 1 and 2 but didnt do a apprenticeship as such so i had my qualification assesed by the NZQA and it was fine. hope this helps.

Originally Posted by duffy