Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Qualification Assessment Needed, Help!

Qualification Assessment Needed, Help!

Old Jul 20th 2005, 3:10 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold
Default Qualification Assessment Needed, Help!

We have just received a call today from NZIS in London. They have asked for a certificate of completion for OH's apprenticeship to backup his C&G qualifications. He told them he didn't get one, or have one, it is not something he has ever heard of in UK. We were advised that because he did not have this we would need to have a Preliminary Assessment carried out by NZQA and also have a Full Assessment carried out after that.

On checking the website www.nzqa.govt.nz we found the Preliminary Assessment cost $180 but couldn't find a cost for the Full Asessment. While on the phone Graham asked about my his IT qualifications, all internationally recognised, except it appears by NZ immigration. Each qualification needs assessing individually, thus costing for each one! Has anyone had similar experiences?

As IT is on the skills shortage it seems unless you have a degree no other qualifications count? Graham has City & Guilds in Electronics, CompTIA A+ and N+ and MCSA (Microsoft Qualification).

Any help or suggestions on if it's possible to get around this anyway gratefully received!!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 4:16 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Qualification Assessment Needed, Help!

Hi - it's http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/for-internat...onal/fees.html

I only know cos we're doing the same and this is in my favourites!

They want proof of secondary education for my OH but the school don't keep records more than ten years old and he left 24 years ago!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 4:50 pm
Hanging by a thread

Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bookemjano

They want proof of secondary education for my OH but the school don't keep records more than ten years old and he left 24 years ago!
Hi Jan

Thanks for that. We don't understand why when City & Guilds Electronics is on the recognised qualification list, why they say it has to be assessed? Graham had only just woke up from a night shift when he took the call so was not quite 'with it'. We have just rang back to confirm what we needed to do and I don't think they were too suited that we queried what they had asked for! As far as Graham is aware there is nothing issued to say the apprentice is complete, though he has two certificates to say he has passed and wouldn't have these certificates if he hadn't?

It doesn't seem to make sense as he is going to work in IT, yet his points will get him in and they are for Electronics. They confirmed that it doesn't matter except he won't have enough points if this qualification isn't assessed. It's like asking for proof even though he has the certificates? Goes right over my head this one! Was hoping to fly off for my two weeks of sun on Friday with no worries........dream on Debbie!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:31 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
Hi Jan

Thanks for that. We don't understand why when City & Guilds Electronics is on the recognised qualification list, why they say it has to be assessed? Graham had only just woke up from a night shift when he took the call so was not quite 'with it'. We have just rang back to confirm what we needed to do and I don't think they were too suited that we queried what they had asked for! As far as Graham is aware there is nothing issued to say the apprentice is complete, though he has two certificates to say he has passed and wouldn't have these certificates if he hadn't?

It doesn't seem to make sense as he is going to work in IT, yet his points will get him in and they are for Electronics. They confirmed that it doesn't matter except he won't have enough points if this qualification isn't assessed. It's like asking for proof even though he has the certificates? Goes right over my head this one! Was hoping to fly off for my two weeks of sun on Friday with no worries........dream on Debbie!
Does sound ridiculous that doesn't it? Could you ring them tonight and ask them why? I'm not very good at waiting for information, I always want an answer straight away. This move is going to see me off once and for all!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:50 pm
Kiwi livin' and lovin' it

Location: Was England. Then Germany.Tried Spain. NZ now and NOT moving!
the turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant future

Hi Jan

Hi,

I have an indentured apprenticeship from the MOD and I sent my apprenticeship certificate along with my HNC Electrical/Electronic Engineer certificates. This was considered fine and I have had no problems with assesment or accreditation. I did also have 10yr+ relevent work experiance which might have helped. Our case officer in London has been really helpful so far too.

Maybe we have just been lucky with the application. We sent in a massive wad of stuff. Our whole life really!! We fully expected loads of it to be wrong or in need of more info but it was all fine.

I hope you can resolve your problems.

Matt
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

can't help loads but do understand as my OH is in a similar situation. I think that in NZ the C&G is seen as a vocational course and therefore automatically requires some from of work whilst studying or apprenticeship - not the case over here.

If it helps, my OH contacted C&G and for a fee (a relatively small one) they will give you confirmation of the equivalent modern day award, course syllabus, areas studied etc - level of A levels, BTEC etc - it might help with the assessment of the qualification.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:12 pm
Hanging by a thread

Originally Posted by Joshlin
can't help loads but do understand as my OH is in a similar situation. I think that in NZ the C&G is seen as a vocational course and therefore automatically requires some from of work whilst studying or apprenticeship - not the case over here.

If it helps, my OH contacted C&G and for a fee (a relatively small one) they will give you confirmation of the equivalent modern day award, course syllabus, areas studied etc - level of A levels, BTEC etc - it might help with the assessment of the qualification.
Thanks Joshlin! I had suggested that to OH and whilst biting my head off had agreed to give them a ring tomorrow. You don't happen to have the phone number do you please?

Does seem a bit funny that they see it as vocational and they don't recognise Microsoft qualifications!

This site is amazing, I said to Graham to put a posting on and before the night is out there will be answers to our questions, thanks so much, I'm sending you some Karma!

Debbie
Old Jul 20th 2005, 7:38 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

Thanks Joshlin! I had suggested that to OH and whilst biting my head off had agreed to give them a ring tomorrow. You don't happen to have the phone number do you please?

Does seem a bit funny that they see it as vocational and they don't recognise Microsoft qualifications!

This site is amazing, I said to Graham to put a posting on and before the night is out there will be answers to our questions, thanks so much, I'm sending you some Karma!

Debbie
Hi there!

Sorry to hear you are getting stressed at the minute.
What was Graham's apprenticeship in? I know that you said that he had a C&G in Electronics but was this linked in with the apprenticeship? Sounds a strange question I know but, for example, I did an Electrical Apprenticeship and I had to the C&G Electrical Courses as part of the apprenticeship which was through the Joint Industry Board. So I would think (although I'll be getting points via my degree) it would be the training contract and completion notification that would need to be submitted. That probably doesn't help you as it sounds like you haven't got the paperwork, but start if you know who the apprenticeship was associated with then maybe contact them? What about the employer that the apprenticeship was done under - could they help or are they not around anymore?

I'm suprised that Microsoft's certified quals can't be considered though.

Has Graham got in touch with a NZ employer yet? If he did have an employer to go to then you obviously get points for that if you didn't reach 100 due to qualification issues.

Dave
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of

We have just received a call today from NZIS in London. They have asked for a certificate of completion for OH's apprenticeship to backup his C&G qualifications. He told them he didn't get one, or have one, it is not something he has ever heard of in UK. We were advised that because he did not have this we would need to have a Preliminary Assessment carried out by NZQA and also have a Full Assessment carried out after that.

On checking the website www.nzqa.govt.nz we found the Preliminary Assessment cost $180 but couldn't find a cost for the Full Asessment. While on the phone Graham asked about my his IT qualifications, all internationally recognised, except it appears by NZ immigration. Each qualification needs assessing individually, thus costing for each one! Has anyone had similar experiences?

As IT is on the skills shortage it seems unless you have a degree no other qualifications count? Graham has City & Guilds in Electronics, CompTIA A+ and N+ and MCSA (Microsoft Qualification).

Any help or suggestions on if it's possible to get around this anyway gratefully received!!
Hi Debbie
My OH is a Toolmaker with an apprenticeship and C&G and EITB certs. We had to send all his certs to the NZIS in Nz. They assesed them and asked us to get in touch with C&G using one of the NZQA's forms that they supplied, and ask them to verify part 3 only of his C&G, enclosing a photocopy and £30 from us. C&G were required to sent the verification document back to NZ, and we were given 50 points! One qual, one fee of $115. Took ages though, had to keep chasing C&G up. About 12 weeks altogether!
I hope all that makes sense!!! I'll help more if I can

Cathy
Old Jul 20th 2005, 8:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Debbie

Hi Debbie
Try Records & Replacements, 020 7294 2468 (Tel), 020 7294 2400 (fax), 1 Giltspur St London, EC1A 9DD

Good luck
Vicki
Old Jul 20th 2005, 9:07 pm
Hanging by a thread

Thanks so much for all your help, Graham is going to ring City and Guilds in the morning and I will let you know how we get on.

You are all wonderful!
Old Jul 20th 2005, 11:41 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Debbie
Hi Debbie
I think thats crazy because as a Kiwi who was doing a computer technicians course before I left NZ I remember having it drummed into us that we should try gaining as many Microsoft qualifications as we could while studying because Microsoft qualifications were recognied world wide World wide to me meant that included NZ too. If they arent recognised why do they place so much emphasis on them in most education institutes. Id be making as many enquiries as I could if I was you. None of this makes any sense to me & Id be feeling more than a little frustrated if I was your OH.

Goodluck in following this through to get the result you want & need
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:12 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bookemjano

Blimey.....do you HAVE to get proof of secondary education? or are you choosing to put it down...i am 100 years old so i have no chance
Old Jul 21st 2005, 12:13 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jan

Hi ... has he got a job in IT already?, was it easy? ...i am hoping to get a job in IT when we eventually make a move
Old Jul 21st 2005, 3:59 pm
Hanging by a thread

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
Hi ... has he got a job in IT already?, was it easy? ...i am hoping to get a job in IT when we eventually make a move
No he hasn't got a job yet. He has asked where he works now as they have offices in NZ, but true to form has had no reply back from HR department so we decided to submit the EOI as we wanted to get a move on.

To update our dilemma....Graham rang London again this morning and all she says is that it is procedure and she can go no further with the EOI until we get proof that he completed his apprenticeship. After speaking to C&G they can provide a 'Letter Detailing Equivalence of C&G Qualification' for a fee of £30. They were very helpful but it still doesn't 'prove' that he completed. So what he have decided now is to ring NZQA tonight (when they are all up) and speak to them. If it costs, it costs and we have no problem with paying fees, but we are concerned that it may not work as how can they 'prove' he finished also and Graham does feel like we are paying out to prove something he has certificates for, which he wouldn't have got had he not completed!

So, I will let you all know how we get on later. On a lighter note I have just finished work for six whole weeks, woo hoo! See me crying in September tho' just like the kids!!!

Debbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.