Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Q's on applying for citizenship

Q's on applying for citizenship

Old Nov 4th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of
Default Q's on applying for citizenship

Hi
I'm in the process of filling out my application for citizenship and it is asking for dates that have left and returned to USA. I have the dates that I returned because of the stamps in my passport, but I don't have any dates of when I left (am going back over 20 years), what should I do? Shall I estimate a few weeks prior to return (as they were only vacations).

Thanks for any help!!
Deb
Old Nov 4th 2008, 7:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q's on applying for citizenship

Originally Posted by Clangers
Hi
I'm in the process of filling out my application for citizenship and it is asking for dates that have left and returned to USA. I have the dates that I returned because of the stamps in my passport, but I don't have any dates of when I left (am going back over 20 years), what should I do? Shall I estimate a few weeks prior to return (as they were only vacations).

Thanks for any help!!
Deb
Estimates should be fine, just make sure that it is clear that the lengths of time have been estimated.

Where abouts in SD are you?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 7:55 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for any help!!
Deb
That section would be a major problem for me if I ever decided I wanted to apply for citizenship, I don't think I even have my old passport anymore, and I almost certainly couldn't remember exact dates.
I suspect that someone on the site will know the answer to your question
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Estimates should be fine, just make sure that it is clear that the lengths of time have been estimated.

Where abouts in SD are you?
Thanks! Do you know how long you can stay out of the US on a green card?

I'm in Santee, East County - what about you??
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It's suggested that if you will be outside the USA longer than 6 months at a time, that you apply for a re-entry permit. The issue of PR abandonment is a grey area which is determined on a case-by-case basis, according to your own specific scenario.

Rene
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:18 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It's suggested that if you will be outside the USA longer than 6 months at a time, that you apply for a re-entry permit.

Rene

I thought I read somewhere before that you can actually stay out for up to a year without a problem?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
I thought I read somewhere before that you can actually stay out for up to a year without a problem?
Of course you did, and of course one could. Rene's post doesn't say otherwise. and length of time out of the US is not the only factor considered when retaining your PR status.
My personal take is that for an absence of 6 months, a re-entry permit is over-cautious. On the other hand, there have been plenty of posts from people whose business kept them outside the US longer than the 6 months anticipated... and they're over or creeping up on a year.
There are some definitive things about "12 months" on the site: uscis.gov

The 6 months+ out also resets the clock for naturalization.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooo - you must like the heat! We're in Carmel Valley....I'm there some of the time, hubby is there all of the time.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:30 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by meauxna
Of course you did, and of course one could. Rene's post doesn't say otherwise. and length of time out of the US is not the only factor considered when retaining your PR status.
My personal take is that for an absence of 6 months, a re-entry permit is over-cautious. On the other hand, there have been plenty of posts from people whose business kept them outside the US longer than the 6 months anticipated... and they're over or creeping up on a year.

Ok, at least I know now that I'm not losing my marbles.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Ooooo - you must like the heat! We're in Carmel Valley....I'm there some of the time, hubby is there all of the time.
I HATE the heat, am so done with it....which is one of the many reasons that I'm moving back to the UK, I've had my fair share of it all. Today it's been drizzling and it's lovely!!

Where are you in the UK?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

So quoting that I have been out about 3 months shouldn't be a problem then on my application - phew!
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where are you in the UK?
Cambridge.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:14 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for any help!!
Deb
So quoting that I have been out about 3 months shouldn't be a problem then on my application - phew!
It's not exactly that simple; there are two ways you have to count your time 'out' of the US.

But why are you worried about going back 20 years? Don't you need to list only the last 5?
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

It's not exactly that simple; there are two ways you have to count your time 'out' of the US.

But why are you worried about going back 20 years? Don't you need to list only the last 5?
Yes, that's for 2 of the questions, then the last one is to list all the trips of 24 hours or more outside of the US SINCE becoming a permanent resident...and I've been a perm resident more than 20 years....

Actually, there is a section that says did trip last more than 6 months...so that answers that, if less than 6 months, I just say no...and then I'm safe.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, that's for 2 of the questions, then the last one is to list all the trips of 24 hours or more outside of the US SINCE becoming a permanent resident...and I've been a perm resident more than 20 years....

Actually, there is a section that says did trip last more than 6 months...so that answers that, if less than 6 months, I just say no...and then I'm safe.
I think you are correct. If you don't remember all of them just put a note in saying that. My husband travels in and out of the US all the time...he put a note in with his application...it was not a problem.