Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

This puts me right off New Zealand!

This puts me right off New Zealand!

Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:05 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This puts me right off New Zealand!

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Quite frankly I think people are kidding themselves if they think this country is prepared for a serious disaster, particularly if there were massive loss of lives or injuries. There for the grace of God (or whoever else you believe in) that the scenes in Christchurch weren't another Haiti, it would have been a completely different picture if it had been just a few hours earlier or later, when people were out and about in the CBD. More luck than judgement in my opinion.

Most of our hospitals and emergency services are in dire straits as they are and would never cope with a serious influx of patients. Here's just one patient's view of the 'healthcare' she did (or didn't) receive in one of our hospitals in the past few weeks.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/new...ectid=10672487
Same everywhere Bo.

I think NZ has dealt with the disaster very well. Goes to show what a difference a bit of a building code can make.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

NZ is on a major fault line consequently it suffers earthquakes- always has, always will. Can't stop them, it's a natural phenomena [you can't controll NATURE because SHE is all powerful!] so do the best you can to prepare for the 'possibility' of one.

Those of us who 'enjoyed' the 60s, lived with the constant threat of a Nuclear Holocaust, with the two Super Powers USA and USSR leaders scratting daily in the news and their fingers poised above the red button [metaphorically speaking.]
We couldn't do a damned thing about it, so we lived life to the full!
It was a wonderful time for being and creating- hence my generation produced IMHO the best music [please don't argue with that], the best films [too many to list but many are repeated every year on UK Xmas TV], the best fashion [the mini}, the best cars[the Mini] I could go on but have become quite emotional recalling all.
The drugs and free love was over exaggerated and pales into insignificance compared to todays 'norm'.
They say if you can remember the 60's you weren't there. Crap! I was there but never realised how lucky we were. There were bad things -like smog, cold, damp housing heated with open coal fires, riots. [can't think of any more!]
It was with hindsight a fantastic era.

NZ can evoke the same feeling for getting the most out of life.
Living life to the full. Not worrying about things that you can do nothing to stop.
It has one of the most outgoing, friendly, supportive, creative, artistic peoples, who seem to enjoy all that these 'two piffling, little, South Pacific Islands' have to offer. I am enjoying life here as much as my advancing years will allow and not wasting a moment worrying what might happen.

Have the knowledge to accept the things you cannot change, the courage to change the things you can and the wisdom to know the difference.
Above all get a life!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfXNGguhSyM
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

And your point is what exactly dredging up this old thread!!!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Have you watched the video?
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest I don't like that video.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

Okay then as I lived there a few years ago, this reflects my sadness about what happened a few days ago ..
Old Feb 25th 2011, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yotty
Have you watched the video?
Yes and it's crap! Actually I hadn't watched it, just did and got about 45 seconds in before I couldn't stand the hugging any more.

Sorry, I just don't like this thread, I appreciate that you were maybe trying to show some support.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

My opinion for what it's worth is that NZ without the volcanic activity and earthquakes would be a very different environment to live in and would not appeal to me as it does. I have not been put off moving to NZ even with what has happened (although It is Auckland so very different to those planning a south island move).
A couple of years ago I experienced an earthquake in the UK and it really did shake and rumble, although not half as powerful as NZ's but still notable ! The rumble was mega and along with the noise of the heating and water pipes rattling was quite something. Before that I was close to another as a teenager in Wales and that well and truly shook my bed ! So as others have said it can really happen anywhere.
As many have said here you cannot and I think should not live life worrying so much about the what ifs ! If we all did we would stay in our little boxes and never venture anywhere, after all travel would be far too risky !
I really do feel for all in NZ suffering as a result of the earthquake and can only imagine how difficult a time this is for so many, my thoughts are with you
Old Feb 27th 2011, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

richardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nicerichardse is just really nice

Originally Posted by mickey_d
And Rangitoto is only dormant, though experts predict the next eruption will be in a different location in the Auckland volcanic field - a 1 in 1000 chance of an eruption somewhere around Auckland in any one year!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

This link shows very interesting information and details about the past 10 years of shallow earthquakes in NZ,

http://www.gns.cri.nz/var/ezwebin_si...-png_large.png
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

shit, it shook just now.

freaked me out. scary as hell. (I heard a kid screaming outside when it was shaking.)
I was having tea and run into the kitchen to hide under the table. ,

feel still shaking... my heart is still running... doubt that I can sleep tonight?

Last edited by crap coffee; Mar 1st 2011 at 8:20 am.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
shit, it shook just now.

freaked me out. scary as hell. (I heard a kid screaming outside when it was shaking.)
I was having tea and run into the kitchen to hide under the table. ,

feel still shaking... my heart is still running... doubt that I can sleep tonight?
We just got the same shake....only lasted 5 seconds....it's the 4th one I've felt in almost as many years.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Thank goodness for the people with us that we didn't feel a thing. Maybe the wind masked it.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by luvwelly
We just got the same shake....only lasted 5 seconds....it's the 4th one I've felt in almost as many years.
it was 4.5 . its sort of big enough.
http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/...nt_quakes.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.