Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

This puts me right off New Zealand!

This puts me right off New Zealand!

Old Feb 7th 2010, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: This puts me right off New Zealand!

Originally Posted by RobDon
I wish I had known about rocks in the sea before we came over!
We would have stayed in the UK!
Take care and look after your toe.
Stop pandering to him - it will only make him worse
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:43 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yotty
After reading this thread I hope there's no major quakes in NZ anytime soon!
I wonder what the OP thinks now?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

More to the point I wonder what all those mockers must think now and whether they have had a change of heart. It makes for the sickest reading I have seen in quite some time.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
More to the point I wonder what all those mockers must think now and whether they have had a change of heart. It makes for the sickest reading I have seen in quite some time.
Yet again I agree with you...they all brought it on themselves almost...any in Christchurch I wonder? Imz you were right and always were right. Grass isn't always greener! Lol at least I'm consistent.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Imz
Watch it's scary

just watch it! Is it worth the risk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXjROXomzfA
watched it tonight for the first time. a crock of sh*t.

if you worry too much, Why bother?

haven't had a change of heart.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:08 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

As in your signature, fear is temporary.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:38 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
...Imz you were right and always were right...
He was right to base his emigration plans on a movie clip on youtube???
Old Sep 11th 2010, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by simonsi
He was right to base his emigration plans on a movie clip on youtube???
But as other posters said earlier this year, if that sort of thing does bother you then this may not be the place to be.

But - what about all those poor people who were flooded out in Hull/Gloucestershire areas a couple of years ago? They were pretty serious too (and in some cases life threatening) but does that mean people should leave and live elsewhere? There's so much that could kill you in life - sitting here looking out at a volcano and wondering what would happen if Auckland were to get hit - I still wouldn't change doing what we've done in coming here. I still feel safer on a daily basis than I did living in London!

I'm not in Christchurch but all my in laws and some close friends from the UK are. Even with earthquakes they have no intention of moving/no regrets about leaving the UK in the first place. I have family in Wellington who feel exactly the same.

Houses and posessions can be rebuilt and replaced. People are irreplaceable - what a wonder it was that no lives were lost, unlike the horrors in Pakistan and Haiti. I'd say that's a testament to a country being prepared for natural disasters such as this one (and the fact that it was early in the morning helped too?).

End of me soapbox again
Old Sep 11th 2010, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Houses and posessions can be rebuilt and replaced. People are irreplaceable - what a wonder it was that no lives were lost, unlike the horrors in Pakistan and Haiti. I'd say that's a testament to a country being prepared for natural disasters such as this one (and the fact that it was early in the morning helped too?).
Quite frankly I think people are kidding themselves if they think this country is prepared for a serious disaster, particularly if there were massive loss of lives or injuries. There for the grace of God (or whoever else you believe in) that the scenes in Christchurch weren't another Haiti, it would have been a completely different picture if it had been just a few hours earlier or later, when people were out and about in the CBD. More luck than judgement in my opinion.

Most of our hospitals and emergency services are in dire straits as they are and would never cope with a serious influx of patients. Here's just one patient's view of the 'healthcare' she did (or didn't) receive in one of our hospitals in the past few weeks.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/new...ectid=10672487
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Quite frankly I think people are kidding themselves if they think this country is prepared for a serious disaster, particularly if there were massive loss of lives or injuries. There for the grace of God (or whoever else you believe in) that the scenes in Christchurch weren't another Haiti, it would have been a completely different picture if it had been just a few hours earlier or later, when people were out and about in the CBD. More luck than judgement in my opinion.

Most of our hospitals and emergency services are in dire straits as they are and would never cope with a serious influx of patients. Here's just one patient's view of the 'healthcare' she did (or didn't) receive in one of our hospitals in the past few weeks.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/health/new...ectid=10672487

Actually I'm pretty sure it had something to do with the construction of houses also. Not all of the buildings survived as we know, there were dangerous situations from chimneys falling down etc. Yes, it was lucky that it was not later in the day, however the Haiti earthquake took 230,000 lives. The large loss of life is to do with a lot of reasons, you really can't compare the two situations. NZ is what it is.

We can find dire situations, "evidence", stats, surveys, stories and anecdotal evidence to back up whatever claim you make. It all comes down to being a personal decision that individuals have to make with the information available to them . Fearing earthquakes is very valid, but we take greater risks everyday in life (I know, I have to negotiate Streatham High Road everyday). There are lots of dangerous situations everywhere in the world, there would be a lot of wonderful countries that we would never visit or different cultures we would never experience if we based every travelling decision on tragic events that have occurred.

I'm sorry but it does come across that you are quite bitter. I know your experiences have not been that great in NZ, but only you have you the power and ability to change that. It's sensible to be aware of the risks, but it's very easy to slip into a negative mindset. If I believed all the hype about knife crime in London, I would honestly never step out of the house, ditto the state of the hospitals
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dannigirl

Fearing earthquakes is very valid, but we take greater risks everyday in life (I know, I have to negotiate Streatham High Road everyday).
Ahhh that used to be my life No more I am delighted to say I love it here Is there no opportunity for you to get out?

I honest to goodness do think I'd rather take my chances with the natural things here in NZ than the dreadful things I saw living around London (and I've experienced quakes before just not of the Christchurch magnitude).

The aftershocks are still going in Christchurch are they not, some of them rather nasty? Yet the report from my in laws is that their stuff is surviving. That must have something to do with the construction!

Years ago, they used to teach emergency stuff in schools, my hubby was saying. My sis in law at quake time had her emergency kit all ready, bottled water, tins etc to hand. All of which came in useful. Not sure if they teach it any more but hope they reintroduce it into schools after this.
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

yeah well I'm surprised there is anyone one left living in California or Japan, surely [don't call me] they've all evacuated.....maybe no body gets out of bed in those places, maybe they spend all their lives under their duvets waiting for the next 'big one'.

The thing is that humans will always take risks when it comes to where they live, if that is building houses on flood plains [unbelievably risky] or building houses on a fault line, LA or CHCH.
Actually there is a fault line running through our back yard, but at least I get out bed every morning fighting fit ready to take on the world!!
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonescapee
Ahhh that used to be my life No more I am delighted to say I love it here Is there no opportunity for you to get out?

I honest to goodness do think I'd rather take my chances with the natural things here in NZ than the dreadful things I saw living around London (and I've experienced quakes before just not of the Christchurch magnitude).

The aftershocks are still going in Christchurch are they not, some of them rather nasty? Yet the report from my in laws is that their stuff is surviving. That must have something to do with the construction!

Years ago, they used to teach emergency stuff in schools, my hubby was saying. My sis in law at quake time had her emergency kit all ready, bottled water, tins etc to hand. All of which came in useful. Not sure if they teach it any more but hope they reintroduce it into schools after this.
We have a plan in motion to return to NZ - only thing is we keep putting it back ha ha.

Depends of a few things but we hope to return soon(ish). I am dreadfully homesick, but we want to make sure that if we move we do it sensibly (if it was down to me we would be on a plane tomorrow!!!). In the meantime we are enjoying the UK, we both have good and settled jobs here so will hold on for a bit before the big leap!! I can't wait
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

Gun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Imz
Watch it's scary

just watch it! Is it worth the risk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXjROXomzfA
Don't move to Oz you might get bitten by something.

Don't move to NZ you might get caught in an earthquake.

Don't get on a plane to anywhere as it might crash.

Be careful in the UK you might get shanked.

Or get a grip and grow a pair.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Laloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gun4Hire
Don't move to Oz you might get bitten by something.

Don't move to NZ you might get caught in an earthquake.

Don't get on a plane to anywhere as it might crash.

Be careful in the UK you might get shanked.

Or get a grip and grow a pair.
Well said.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.