Put offs

Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Put offs

Originally Posted by TOONLAD
Ive been living in papamoa for 5 months our house was built in the sixties it has no insulation and is very damp. none of my family suffer from asthma but we have all had colds which i feel is from the dampness. But no two houses are the same over here.

The problems can be overcome we have bought a dehumidifier which gets rid of the damp and can be insulated against the cold, also getting double glazing.

Hayfever is the biggest problem suffered by immigrants (I was told this by Dr at the hospital which I visited recently).
I see you are in Papamoa. I may have mentioned this before but have you been to my son-in-laws butchers shop yet?

Doug Jarvis 60 Parton Road Papamoa.

June
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

KoalaCaroline is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, my husband suffers really badly with hayfever, is it really bad in NZ too then?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

TOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant future

I don't suffer from hayfever but was recently in hospital and the doctors said a lot of british ex-pats end up visiting due to different pollens but it settles down.

If you know how to manage your hayfever it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Would need to register with GP as soon as you arrive as it cost twice as much to visit a GP if you are not registered.

Found the Health Service to be efficient.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

TOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson
I see you are in Papamoa. I may have mentioned this before but have you been to my son-in-laws butchers shop yet?

Doug Jarvis 60 Parton Road Papamoa.

June
No but im aware of it i am 40 howdens eldest son.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

wannabekiwi will become famous soon enoughwannabekiwi will become famous soon enough

I am the guilty one bringing upt the mixer tap scenario....
To bring this to an end....
I did say at the time that it was a put off for me in the UK (having moved here from Germany, didn't dare think you got them in NZ too!) and how I learned to accept odd and different things in different countries and how I find it more important to have great people with a great mentality and sense of humour around me than stuff like that.
In my experience it does not help to keep comparing things with the country you come from. It doesn't help the whole adjusting and integrating process.

back to the Asthma subject...
I think the dehumidifier is a great idea.
I suppose due to the mild temperature there is always some grass or pollen in the air, am I right?
Nightmare for hayfever sufferers I suppose.
I found this interesting NZ website regarding Asthma
http://www.asthmanz.co.nz/home.php
Hope this helps Koala Caroline and others
Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

None of us have had hayfever here in Wellington....I was suffering from it in UK at the time we left though. I think the wind must blow all the pollen all away.
A house with adequate heating is a must for asthma sufferers I would say and yes dehumidifers are a good investment alongside this if not all rooms are/can be adequately heated.

My NZ kitchen and bathroom has mixer taps!

Wannebekiwi - if your main experience of UK was originally rental then it is not likely to have had the most up to date modcons - mixer taps have been around for ages.
Carpets in kitchens and bathrooms probably became a complete 'no no' as a result of all the home makeover programmes which condemned it. Doubt anyone would dare do it now. NB No house of mine has ever had them but my Mum's did! But they were carpet tiles lol.
PS My Mum also HAD an avocado bathroom suite - these are also no longer allowed either!
Old Aug 31st 2008, 6:05 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe pollen is an issue pretty much everywhere?

My son appears to have grown out of his asthma since we got here - he's now 9 years old.

But we moved from the moors in Cornwall - where it's a lot damper than here. Here is quite sunny and mild, despite a wet winter. I know many kids grow out of it over time too.

You could always try taking them to the sulpher pools in Rotovegas - surely that will clear anyones chest?