Put offs

Old Aug 28th 2008, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Put offs

Originally Posted by whitesand
This business about separate taps is one which really bugs me about the UK. lWhat you invariably get is boiling hot water which you cannot use and lots of wasted water as you try to use both taps at once. It also makes a joke about saving water. It's something which is annoying but could be easily fixed.

I think the poster who brought this up made valuable points about the differences between countries.

Why? Why can you not use boiling water - do you wash dishes and clean cars,hand wash delicate clothes etc. Can you not use a bowl and put in so much hot water and then add cold water to cool to required temp. Not rocket science! It conserves water in my opinion. If you need to wash hands then fill the sink with water and do it the old fashioned way that way perfectly good water is not being tipped down the sink. I have mixer taps but don't have a preference either way - they both provide us with water and surely it is only a matter of austhetic pleasing to the eye with mixer as opposed to separate taps. Nothing more annoying than reaching for a glass of cold water to take a tablet to find out there is still warm left in the tap and you have to run it out to get the cold cold water - now that is a waste of water !
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

This business about separate taps is one which really bugs me about the UK. What you invariably get is boiling hot water which you cannot use and lots of wasted water as you try to use both taps at once. It also makes a joke about saving water. It's something which is annoying but could be easily fixed.

Bugs me here in NZ too - I certainly don't find *myself* giggling about the separate taps in my home here in NZ, hardly what I'd call 'trivial' as turning on the faucet is something one has to do dozens of times a day . I also constantly think about and am annoyed, whitesand, about the joke they make of saving water. And then they're not very sanitary either now are they - I mean who's going to properly wash their soiled hands (after using the toilet for instance) in either boiling hot or freezing cold water! I at least make the painful effort, but my kids...? You can't easily wash your face or take a 'french bath' with these separate taps when you're in a hurry for the same reason. So it's particularly disturbing to see that separate taps are STILL regularly sold here in NZ - what, is this leftover unwanted stock from more enlightened countries? Or even worse, is it still being manufactured to meet demand!

I'm not sure though whitesand that 'easily fixed' would be so correct for NZ though, whether by replacing or retro-fixing - plumbers are amongst the highest paid workers in NZ, plus there's their substantial call-out-fee on top of things. And clearly from account after account of damp cold houses in NZ, there's a long list of where money needs to be spent in most homes here and sorting the separate taps problem will no doubt be way at the bottom of the list if on the list at all (if you're on a NZ salary and are not earning plumber's wages!)

Separate taps, unflued gas heaters, interior-vented dryers - all, incredibly, not only not-yet-outlawed, but still available new in NZ shops.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shirl
Nothing more annoying than reaching for a glass of cold water to take a tablet to find out there is still warm left in the tap and you have to run it out to get the cold cold water - now that is a waste of water !
Fill a container with cold water and stick it in the fridge, like everyone else does -not rocket science, to borrow your phrase!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we need to pour some oil on these troubled waters!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:56 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

and I think this thread is getting a bit stupid (kidding)

as long as I have my tap on my wine box im ok
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is getting stupid a tap is a tap after all (or faucet if you live in the USA!) At least we have the CHOICE of getting a mixer or a single one. AND I DO HAVE A MIXER IN ALL MY WET ROOMS - just having an opinion everyone don't get alarmed bl***dy hell!! In the grand scheme of things does it really matter!! No one is going to die cause they don't have a mixer tap duh!! Put your hand in your pocket and buy one and stop whinging about it. Enough said I think boring now
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:09 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shirl
Yes it is getting stupid a tap is a tap after all (or faucet if you live in the USA!) At least we have the CHOICE of getting a mixer or a single one. AND I DO HAVE A MIXER IN ALL MY WET ROOMS - just having an opinion everyone don't get alarmed bl***dy hell!! In the grand scheme of things does it really matter!! No one is going to die cause they don't have a mixer tap duh!! Put your hand in your pocket and buy one and stop whinging about it. Enough said I think boring now
well said
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:59 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
No sorry - explanation still makes no sense to me.
One country bumpkin even moaned about the Aucklanders' posh latte coffees - 'what's wrong with filter coffee?' (well we gratefully drown in lattes in Wellington too or at least I do!). This 'Brain of NZ' further added, 'what on earth does Auckland contribute to NZ?'

I have found the anti-Auckland thing amongst University educated folks too and that's the bit I really don't get. Is it just part of Tall Poppy Syndrome?
Generally I find the anti-Auckland thing to be mainly jest and a fairly natural response to the often repeated views that come out of Auckland (also mainly in jest) that the rest of the country is backward, you can't get a good coffee south of Bombay Hills, and Parnell and Ponsonby Road are the only places one should ever shop. Its like a perrenial joke - you don't have to get it.

Besides - you querying this anti-Jafa thing would be like me querying your anti country person thing. I'm sure you didn't mean any offence calling people from the country bumpkins, or did you??
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Biddy
I've got mixer taps - does that make me posh?
Yes.

I've got a mix of taps and I'm married to a plumber earning the vast sum of $26 per hour.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Shirl, Methinks you need to take a cold, unmixed, shower.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:45 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

now we're onto a more serious point - where can I get one of those flow modulator thingies that mean that I can get a warm shower without having to run the taps at a tremendous rate?

ah but I am in a rental so I can't really fit one - so scratch that....

they are another one of those good ideas, like the birck/hippo in the toilet cistern to conserve water, any of those come out of Europe?

TBH mixer taps are a good idea - better if they are thermostatic shower ones that allow flow and temperature regulation - would solve my problem....

BUT then when we are in "green" mode talking about showers perhaps the German lead on instaneous showers is not so good - AFIK they took the lead on the really high power ones - something like 12kW or 15kW showers; OK for having a piping hot shower with loads of flow but not so good for energy consumption/conservation...... Less is perhaps more on that one?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:47 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

You must admit though that mixer taps are lower down the list of "essentials" than proper insulation/draught-proofing and efficient heating???

Actually reading the earlier posts, probably not.......

Having said that it is probably more important to dry your hands thoroughly on a decent towel than to use hot water for "sanitising" if you are thinking about keeping those paws clean.......

Last edited by lardyl; Aug 30th 2008 at 12:50 am.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Can't all mine are mixers ! yawn yawn!

Last edited by shirl; Aug 30th 2008 at 3:01 am.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

KoalaCaroline is an unknown quantity at this point

Thought this thread was about NZ put offs, not people arguing over mixer taps
Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:56 am
Just Joined

TOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant futureTOONLAD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by KoalaCaroline
Hi, I just wanted to vent my thoughts really. I am really new to looking into New Zealand and from what I had previously read thought it was the ideal place for my kids. I have a son with Asthma so thought the clean air would be great. Having looked into this more thoroughly I now realise its not the dream I once thought. I have been reading that the property in NZ is really badly made/maintained, and for people with health problems damp and cold is really bad in the older houses.

I have been looking at some real estate pages and cant actually see many new properties, so my point is this. I am now really put off by the stories of chest infections, health problems because of bad housing. BUT am glad people are good enough to put the bad points on forums, without this insite I would still be merrily looking with rose tinted glassess on. For now I will continue to look around the web, definatley looking for double glazed and insulated houses thats for sure.
Ive been living in papamoa for 5 months our house was built in the sixties it has no insulation and is very damp. none of my family suffer from asthma but we have all had colds which i feel is from the dampness. But no two houses are the same over here.

The problems can be overcome we have bought a dehumidifier which gets rid of the damp and can be insulated against the cold, also getting double glazing.

Hayfever is the biggest problem suffered by immigrants (I was told this by Dr at the hospital which I visited recently).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.