pubs

Old Dec 27th 2007, 6:19 am
Forum Regular

Leewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the rough
Question pubs

morning all, do they get pubs in nz? and do you lot that as experienced life out there belive its a better standard than the uk? cheers Lee
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:16 am
Banned

choccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nicechoccydog is just really nice
Default Re: pubs

Not in the same way as UK, most places have a pub or two but Kiwis tend to like to go to bed early so they're mostly dead at 9pm. You'll find plenty of nightlife in distinct places like AKL and Queenstown but other quite big cities have nothing much. Dunedin a fairly honourable exception with quite a few pubs but again dies a death early evening.

There isn't really a 'going down the pub' tradition.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:21 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

In Welly we hang out at cafes and restaurants more. There are a few pubs scattered about, and there are bands that play out. Due to not having a babysitter yet () we haven't exactly got out an awful lot yet...
Old Dec 27th 2007, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

In Welly, on a Friday & Saturday night the trains & buses run til 2am.
Quite a few clubs & a few pubs are open til breakfast time & our local offers a collect & take home service at weekends.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:43 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Plenty of places to get 'faced' here in Christchurch. However, yeah, the drinking establishments in the 'burbs tend to wind down early.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Leewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the rough

cheers and very helpful, thanks Lee
Old Dec 28th 2007, 6:52 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We've a few in Rangiora. The Brew House is great, nice bar/restaurant one side - very family friendly and great good. Other side is bar, huge fireplace, pool table, dart board, small area for band or karaoke etc, separate cubby for pokies (slot machines), and horse racing and outside smoking area with tv's to check the racing and some more pokie machines.

They seem to stay open late and have a free mini bus to take people home which you just go to the bar and ask for.

JR's I've heard is nice, although never been in personally, friends I know used to regularly drink late there and Woodlea put a thread on here about their quiz night. Can't think of the name of the other one, next door, but it's red and always looks closed. There's Robbies; pub style, very nice but more family restaurant / bar than drinking person's place I think. And then we've a few cafe / bar type places like Monteith's, The Blue Rooster, etc.

But you'll be lucky if you ever manage to roll out of the pub here and find an Indian open and finding a kebab is rarer than hen's teeth.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:49 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Something else that others have only touched on is most bars here, esp. in the burbs are a TAB as well. This means the main reason a lot of the locals visit is to bet on the horses and dogs.

NZ doen't really have bookie shop's, its all done through TAB's which are mostly in bars

Adie
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:58 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie View Post
Something else that others have only touched on is most bars here, esp. in the burbs are a TAB as well. This means the main reason a lot of the locals visit is to bet on the horses and dogs.
Real optimists, huh. Today is the day my horse (or dog) comes in.

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie View Post
NZ doesn't really have bookie shop's, its all done through TAB's which are mostly in bars
Kiwis love to have a flutter while having a jug of Speights', Lion Red, Tui, DB or Monteith's.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 2:43 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

talking of the pub.. now thats a good idea.. I'm off..
Old Dec 29th 2007, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: pubs

thanks teamembo , your a diamond, i think your a wonderfully and patient woman, i would also like to add that i have been keeping my interest in this forum for 9 months, all told, and a guy that i have never met, but who as always, and i means always been been very helpful is a guy called, happaynz, this guy is very helpful and i would like to take this oppitunity to thank him personally..... Thank you very much, happynz, for all your advice i found good honest and up front, you along with others like teamebo a credit to this site, cheers Lee
Old Dec 30th 2007, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

carriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nice

A few pubs in Welly, mainly wine and coctail bars, if you want the quiet life and be home by 11pm then thats fine because places dont seem to hot up till after then and most are open during the weekend till the wee hours, loads of clubs in Welly.....must say im fonder of the meal drink and chat, must be getting on