Reload this Page >

Public Transportation availability - pretty much anywhere in NZ

Public Transportation availability - pretty much anywhere in NZ

Old Sep 7th 2006, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

CanuckGrrl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Public Transportation availability - pretty much anywhere in NZ

Hi there,

Slightly different story in that I'm not planning on emigrating to New Zealand but would love to do a work experience practicum out there for a month next year as I am currently a speech pathology student (therapist to most of you).

The one thing that bothers me (other than actually trying to get it organised!) is that I don't have a driver's license. I'm used to living in the city where public transport is cheap and easy to come by. Would it be possible to get by in New Zealand for a month without your own transport? Is there any particular city that is particularly well known for being accessible, or any to avoid? It's basically my number one priority other than being concerned about rent but I'd probably be sharing with other students or maybe a guest family. Any advice, comments or suggestions about public transport much appreciated, as I fully admit I don't know what to expect and know how hard it can be outside the very major cities here in Canada...

If any of you know any Kiwi (preferrably paediatric) SLTs, by the way, it would be great to know; any contact is a good start for networking and there's always the chance they could come over and see how it works in the Great White North!

Thanks in advance and hoping you can help!

CanuckGrrl.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 7:59 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Public Transportation availability - pretty much anywhere in NZ

Originally Posted by CanuckGrrl
Hi there,
The one thing that bothers me (other than actually trying to get it organised!) is that I don't have a driver's license. I'm used to living in the city where public transport is cheap and easy to come by. Would it be possible to get by in New Zealand for a month without your own transport? Is there any particular city that is particularly well known for being accessible, or any to avoid? It's basically my number one priority other than being concerned about rent but I'd probably be sharing with other students or maybe a guest family. Any advice, comments or suggestions about public transport much appreciated, as I fully admit I don't know what to expect and know how hard it can be outside the very major cities here in Canada...
I can answer for Christchurch... a very good bus service as long as you require to get in and out of the city centre, the bus service is a bit like spokes on a wheel so it can be a bit harder if you need to get between suburbs. The main hospital is very central, actually in a really good situation with the botanic gardens and a massive park close by.
Also Wellington has extremely good transport links, bus and train, and has a very compact city centre so very easy to work and live in the city if that is what you want.

I think the problems with public transport come when you want to live rurally - there simply isn't the population to support a big bus service, or when you want to travel between cities. That said there is a very big backpacker network with transport options readily available for this type of tourist, I don't think you would too much trouble seeing the country if you hooked into this.

If you are based at a hospital then generally there are good public transport options to access the hospital from other areas of the city.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi there,

Slightly different story in that I'm not planning on emigrating to New Zealand but would love to do a work experience practicum out there for a month next year as I am currently a speech pathology student (therapist to most of you).

If any of you know any Kiwi (preferrably paediatric) SLTs, by the way, it would be great to know; any contact is a good start for networking and there's always the chance they could come over and see how it works in the Great White North!

CanuckGrrl.
U should be able to get by fine in wellington without a car...

Auckland will be more difficult to manage, but might also be do-able, especially if you living or working in/near the cbd
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

westies is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the roughwesties is a jewel in the rough

Hi there,

CanuckGrrl.
Auckland has a fairly good bus system, and decent rail network, depending on where you live, lots of people I work with at Auckland City Hospital use it no probs!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:28 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,

CanuckGrrl.
I use the train service from west auckland every weekday and a monthly ticket is $141 nz dollars which isnt too bad, it is slightly cheaper from New Lynn to the centre of Auckland at $99

public transport is not bad in auckland but they do say it isnt as good as places like london, the rail service is by no means as extensive as the london underground as it does not go to all parts of auckland

hope this makes sense

www.maxx.co.nz

is the website for transport not sure if it has maps on it
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

CanuckGrrl.

sorry i can't help re th epublic trasnport , but my son has just had a speech therapy report done (he's 5) so when i get a copy i'll pm you the contact details when i get them.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:30 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. I don't drive either although I will have to give in because it is very limiting not being able to drive here But, the bus is great for work. We live in Glenfield which is on the North Shore and it takes me 30 minutes from stop to desk.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

CanuckGrrl is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems I should look into Wellington, Auckland and Christchurch then! Perhaps less so Auckland because there's at least one SLT course given there and places would probably go to their students first. I don't want to live too rurally because I want to see and do a lot in the time I would be there. All the advice you've given sounds very promising though, thanks a lot. I was hoping the answers wouldn't put me off and the reverse has happened, I feel like booking a ticket now but don't think my impoverished student bank account could cope with it... yet