Public Schools

Old Apr 1st 2006, 10:37 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future
Default Public Schools

Can any on tell me of any Public Schools in Auckland that take boys and girls from 6years old
Old Apr 1st 2006, 5:02 pm
Not a Junior Member!

Lisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Public Schools

Originally Posted by theduke
Can any on tell me of any Public Schools in Auckland that take boys and girls from 6years old
If I can remember:

North Shore: Kirsten School
Remuera way: Dilworth
South Auckland: St Kentigerns

I think they all take boys from young, but sorry if I've got anything wrong. They all have websites.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 11:52 pm

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Thanks Lisa

We are just not impressed with the local schools, they all seem to be run like a business and have feeling about them at all, the kids think they are good but we are unsure, hence the question.

Andy
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:56 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Lisa

We are just not impressed with the local schools, they all seem to be run like a business and have feeling about them at all, the kids think they are good but we are unsure, hence the question.

Andy
As in the UK, all good schools will be run like a business, which of course they should be since they are a business - that of educating the future generations. However now that I have one in school and another soon to start at a similar school to that mentioned, I can understand concerns with this.

Have you got the book 'Where to live in Auckland', as it lists all the state and private schools for all the regions with details re: ages & gender etc. I picked one up from Whitcoulls, $40. Would be very helpful.

Carmen.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
As in the UK, all good schools will be run like a business, which of course they should be since they are a business - that of educating the future generations. However now that I have one in school and another soon to start at a similar school to that mentioned, I can understand concerns with this.

Have you got the book 'Where to live in Auckland', as it lists all the state and private schools for all the regions with details re: ages & gender etc. I picked one up from Whitcoulls, $40. Would be very helpful.

Carmen.

I think you should realise that schools are not businesses like any other business. They have a captive market, but as it is based on the future for everyone they still need to know what is going on some compassion.

A primary school with 800 odd pupils is not the way to go believe me, kids need some sort of ownership not just a number the teachers run the places and the head s just give them the rules.

Thanks for the tipon the book though!
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

I would be interested in schools in Wellington as i would like to consider sending my 5yr old to a public school, any advice as always gratefully recieved, thanks
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poppets
I would be interested in schools in Wellington as i would like to consider sending my 5yr old to a public school, any advice as always gratefully recieved, thanks
Hi Poppets, they are actually called private schools in NZ a public school is the state one.
In the Hutt you have Wellesley in Eastbourne for boys, can't think of the name right now of the girls one but it is in central hutt (sure somebody else can help me out, I don't have girls). A friend sent her daughters their and was very impressed. Also St. Marks in Wellington city is very good and it is co-ed. My son went to Hutt International Boys school in Trentham but you have to be 11 to go there.
There are very good state schools in Lower Hutt, Eastern Hutt for primary then Hutt Intermediate then Hutt Valley High School. As they are good they are all tightly zoned, something to watch out for when you are renting somewhere as the schools will insist on seeing a utility bill before enrolling your child.
Good Luck
KAZ
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 4:54 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should realise that schools are not businesses like any other business.
Whilst I can see what you are saying, hospitals, shops, takeaways and other local services also have captive markets, whether or not consumers like to believe they do! They may not be zoned in the way that schools are, but most people have choices, the extreme being to move house for desired schools as many many people do.

Parents with strong opinions on their choice of school would also usually visit schools before deciding upon exactly which house to buy/rent - ie into which 'captive market' they are happy to join. Then again there are always parents who are successful in getting their children into out-of-zone schools through a multitude of methods: some manipulative, others creative and some simply lucky! Of course there may be a risk in the application process, a complete test of nerves and the chance that one ends up with 'the worst' school through trying for their favourite. One of the joys of parenting.

Anyhow, try the book, it's got some good info. And good luck.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

SA Expat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Poppets

My two daughters attend Chilton St James School in central Lower Hutt. My eldest is 14yrs old and in Yr 10 and the younger is 6yrs old in Yr 2. Chilton is a girls only school and goes through from Preschool to Yr 13. It is a good academic school as well as being the leading Secondary Dance School for NZ. Check their website out for more info. There is also Samuel Marsden School (also girls only) in Karori I think it is, which is also academic and does the A-Levels. Yep, Wellesley, HIBS and Scott's College and St Patricks in Upper Hutt are the boys' equivalent. Let me know if you need any more info.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Hi Poppets, they are actually called private schools in NZ a public school is the state one.
In the Hutt you have Wellesley in Eastbourne for boys, can't think of the name right now of the girls one but it is in central hutt (sure somebody else can help me out, I don't have girls). A friend sent her daughters their and was very impressed. Also St. Marks in Wellington city is very good and it is co-ed. My son went to Hutt International Boys school in Trentham but you have to be 11 to go there.
There are very good state schools in Lower Hutt, Eastern Hutt for primary then Hutt Intermediate then Hutt Valley High School. As they are good they are all tightly zoned, something to watch out for when you are renting somewhere as the schools will insist on seeing a utility bill before enrolling your child.
Good Luck
KAZ
Any idea what Scots College is like - I know its single sex but what is its reputation?

Bezza
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SA Expat
Hi Poppets

My two daughters attend Chilton St James School in central Lower Hutt. My eldest is 14yrs old and in Yr 10 and the younger is 6yrs old in Yr 2. Chilton is a girls only school and goes through from Preschool to Yr 13. It is a good academic school as well as being the leading Secondary Dance School for NZ. Check their website out for more info. There is also Samuel Marsden School (also girls only) in Karori I think it is, which is also academic and does the A-Levels. Yep, Wellesley, HIBS and Scott's College and St Patricks in Upper Hutt are the boys' equivalent. Let me know if you need any more info.
dear SA Expat

Any info about Scots in particular much appreciated.

Bezza
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Any idea what Scots College is like - I know its single sex but what is its reputation?

Bezza
Scots college has a very good reputation. It is regarded as the best boys school in Wellington. We have friends who use it and are very happy.
Cheers
KAZ
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Scots college has a very good reputation. It is regarded as the best boys school in Wellington. We have friends who use it and are very happy.
Cheers
KAZ
Kaz

Thanks for that

Bezza