British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Psycho needs your help - urgently!! Best laid plans gone awry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/psycho-needs-your-help-urgently-best-laid-plans-gone-awry-645260/)

Psychopandy Dec 17th 2009 9:36 pm

Psycho needs your help - urgently!! Best laid plans gone awry

As most of you good folks know, we are heading for Cambridge/hamilton in 2 weeks and 5 days. We have made contact with several schools, got places sorted at scouts, got details of Tae Kwon Do clubs for the small one. OH has his job to start in Hamilton on 1st Feb. Rental sorted and container contents heading there for around mid January. SORTED........

but then the chaps that he is going to work for have gone and offered him a different (possibly better) job - it appears to be a step up before he has even got started - i told you he was good ;) - IN BLOODY TAURANGA

Now if this had been the option right from the start i think i would have jumped at it - we have visited before briefly and its beautiful, however, it was the only place we visited in NZ when we were there that we couldnt get parked, or find somewhere to sleep overnight - no room at the inn - we drove through what i think was the town area and ended getting out the car and just spending the afternoon on the beautiful beach before going to Rotorua for the night.

At this moment i have no idea what to do - do we wing it?? - that wasnt something we wanted to do!! do we play it safe and stay with Cambridge?? we think we have planned most everything and this would be a real leap of faith - but we have planned to throw everything in the air anyway, whats an hour down the road!!

Oh crap i have no idea - please help - Anyone - Colandros! Am loolah!, Fi - i know all you guys have good knowledge of both areas

I have already had a browse through the city links on Tauranga - i knew that would be good as we have a Mod based there i guess it had to be eh :rofl:

Am Loolah Dec 17th 2009 9:45 pm

Re: Psycho needs your help - urgently!! Best laid plans gone awry

Originally Posted by Psychopandy (Post 8181347)
As most of you good folks know, we are heading for Cambridge/hamilton in 2 weeks and 5 days. We have made contact with several schools, got places sorted at scouts, got details of Tae Kwon Do clubs for the small one. OH has his job to start in Hamilton on 1st Feb. Rental sorted and container contents heading there for around mid January. SORTED........

but then the chaps that he is going to work for have gone and offered him a different (possibly better) job - it appears to be a step up before he has even got started - i told you he was good ;) - IN BLOODY TAURANGA

Now if this had been the option right from the start i think i would have jumped at it - we have visited before briefly and its beautiful, however, it was the only place we visited in NZ when we were there that we couldnt get parked, or find somewhere to sleep overnight - no room at the inn - we drove through what i think was the town area and ended getting out the car and just spending the afternoon on the beautiful beach before going to Rotorua for the night.

At this moment i have no idea what to do - do we wing it?? - that wasnt something we wanted to do!! do we play it safe and stay with Cambridge?? we think we have planned most everything and this would be a real leap of faith - but we have planned to throw everything in the air anyway, whats an hour down the road!!

Oh crap i have no idea - please help - Anyone - Colandros! Am loolah!, Fi - i know all you guys have good knowledge of both areas

I have already had a browse through the city links on Tauranga - i knew that would be good as we have a Mod based there i guess it had to be eh :rofl:

Oh goodness - just what you need at the eleventh hour!:eek:

Is the move compulsory or is it an offer which is up to him to accept? Will his original job in Cambridge/Hamilton still be honoured if he doesn't change?

My advice, for what it's worth, if it was me I'd stick with the original plan as it is all sorted. Get here and then reconsider when you are here.

From a practical point of view it will be nigh on impossible to secure a rental in Tauranga much before the end of January. Those that are vacant will be let out as holiday homes.

Wait a while, until schools go back beginning of February and then see if you might want to move. The alternative is stick with your personal arrangements for Hamilton and he commute to the job in Tauranga initially whilst you decide what to do.

If you do decide to come over this way I will try and help with anything I can. And, yes, it is lovely here!:p

MnB Dec 17th 2009 9:55 pm

Hi PP
FWIW I'd listen to Am Loolah :D
Ok so someones thrown a bloody great spanner:eek:....it doesn't have to jam up your works....if you don't let it!!:thumbsup:
:lol:B x

Psychopandy Dec 17th 2009 9:56 pm

It would seem that its not compulsory. The original job is there, as offered, if he wants it.

It is a position that has arisen that they are having trouble filling and reckon he would be up for the challenge. Like i said, it would be a promotion although we have yet to get the final pay scale!!

The job description is quite different from the original one - but thats the beauty of running your own company for 10 years - you can cover all bases :thumbup: and they know he can, thats why they want him x

I need plenty of opinion - my gut feeling is to go to cambridge as planned aswell, but would he then pass up a good opportunity in saying no.

Bloody hell x

Psychopandy Dec 17th 2009 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8181404)
Hi PP
FWIW I'd listen to Am Loolah :D
Ok so someones thrown a bloody great spanner:eek:....it doesn't have to jam up your works....if you don't let it!!:thumbsup:
:lol:B x

I am gonna go to bed and see what all the good people leave for me in the morning - i cant think straight anymore - and i havent had any beer - virtual or otherwise - tonight :thumbdown:

Maybe i should eh!

MnB Dec 17th 2009 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Psychopandy (Post 8181406)
It would seem that its not compulsory. The original job is there, as offered, if he wants it.

It is a position that has arisen that they are having trouble filling and reckon he would be up for the challenge. Like i said, it would be a promotion although we have yet to get the final pay scale!!

The job description is quite different from the original one - but thats the beauty of running your own company for 10 years - you can cover all bases :thumbup: and they know he can, thats why they want him x

I need plenty of opinion - my gut feeling is to go to cambridge as planned aswell, but would he then pass up a good opportunity in saying no.

Bloody hell x

If they havn't been able to fill it yet then OH will be in a fantastic position to bargain surely?....sort of 'commitments in Cambridge initially but prepared to re-consider / move in ?? months'
Reckon OH needs to do some sounding out.
Just seen that you are off to your bed...night night...sweet dreams x

Psychopandy Dec 17th 2009 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by MnB (Post 8181420)
If they havn't been able to fill it yet then OH will be in a fantastic position to bargain surely?....sort of 'commitments in Cambridge initially but prepared to re-consider / move in ?? months'
Reckon OH needs to do some sounding out.
Just seen that you are off to your bed...night night...sweet dreams x

havent gone yet - cant put the bloody thing down

Little chance of sleep i reckon anyway

Justcol Dec 17th 2009 11:09 pm

Ok first things first

1) take a deep breath and calm down

2) It always seems a panic when your still in the uk
but think of it this way.
If they have offered him a "better" job they obviously
recognise that he has skills and knowledge they want
so from where i am sitting there is no pressure on him/you
to accept or decline at this point.
If they could have found someone else in nz to do the new
post they would have done but they havent so your
in the driving seat.

3) He needs to get in touch with them and explain that
obviously he is interested in the new post but then has
to explain to them that the decision cannot be made until
he has discussed it with his family (you).
He needs to explain to them that his family and their initial
resettlement in NZ are whats important right now and that
he would be more than happy to discuss the new post
once he has arrived and had a chance to

a) evaluate the post being offered

b) considered and discussed the implications on his family
explaining it would take time to find houses,schools,and find
a suitable area to live

They will be aware of the fact that they are asking a lot
but dont feel hassled or rushed.
The kids dont know one school from the next and will settle
where ever they are.
Rentals can be vacated, you dont have to stay full term.
maybe he can ask if they are willing to offer any financial
help to ensure the move goes smoothly.
Kiwis like up front people, dont be afraid to say what you think
and ask for time if you need it.

Wooly_Cow Dec 18th 2009 1:46 am

Whilst I agree with a lot of the advice you’ve been given, I have to say that you should start by thinking positively. You’ve secured not one but two jobs on the other side of the world….that’s really tough these days, and Tauranga is a beautiful vibrant GROWING city so longer term is a good place to be (a place many people would give their eye-teeth to find a job in).

The only real issue would be somewhere to live (schools, scouts, and sports clubs can be sorted by some research and phone call). I’ve found you can secure a rental in a matter of a couple of weeks (and wouldn’t you want short term furnished holiday type rental anyway until you know the area and your stuff arrives). The container can be diverted at the last minute and will probably be coming through Tauranga anyway! If it comes early and you haven’t got a empty rental, have it stored.

Given the choice regardless of the job type I’d choose Tauranga (there’s a reason it was full you know….’cause it’s flipping gorgeous).

…Final point, yes Kiwis are upfront but they also love people with a ‘can do’ attitude. Showing flexibility at the start of your job would go down a treat

hazeandsteve Dec 18th 2009 2:50 am

Every time I go to Tauranga, it's windy!
A mate just moved over there from UK and is renting in Bethlehem. Great pad, but a bit out of town. Tauranga may be growing, but when does it stop? You'll end up in a city suburb if it keeps going at the current rate!
Go to Cambridge mate. If you only came for the money, then most of us would say you'd be better off back in Europe.
You can't get to the ski fields so easily from the coast, but you CAN get to the coastS from Cambridge.

Justcol Dec 18th 2009 4:08 am

And Cambridge is lovely too.
Its also growing as is hamilton

In reality though one place is the same as the next as at
the moment both Tauranga and Cambridge are just towns
in NZ. The only difference is you have made some arrangements
for your arrival in cambridge. Once you are here it would only
take a couple of days of running around to sort out the same in
Tauranga.
At this point you need to get some feed back on schools in Tauranga.
Personal reccomendation is best as all schools will tell you
they are good.
I have sent mine to Cambridge high and am VERY happy with the school
and the accademic levels my kids are studying at.
I had concerns at first as my boys were both my boys were high achievers
at grammer school in the uk but they have continued to be pushed accademically.

weejie Dec 18th 2009 4:14 am

PP I think the advice to stick to original plans but explain situation re looking at options once all arrived and settled is a good plan. They must think he is a good guy to offer this in the first place so I am sure they will listen and understand. And as has been said,can they hold the job for xx months until you are all a bit more settled? If not filled it now chances are they may not in the near future.

Don't lose any sleep over it......he has a job to go to,you have a roof over your head for when you get here so what has changed really???:o You are still coming to NZ no matter what babes!

Phyl x

Psychopandy Dec 18th 2009 8:06 am

Thank you all so much for your help. :wub: Its what i needed. You covered alot of things that had already gone through my head and a few that hadnt!

He has spoken with them and hopefully we will have that option of arriving and then taking things from there.

I am still in a bit of a panic - thanks Col for telling me not to :p

I know that whatever happens it will be for the best. My OH will do what is best for all of us. He is assured that the original job offer wont be affected by his decision in this one way or another but you never know. As Wooly pointed out - flexibility is key sometimes and to appear unflexible from the start may seem the wrong thing to do.

I will get to have that barbeque with Colandros - i promise x

Will keep you poted on this one - thanks again xx

Psycho

bourbon-biscuit Dec 18th 2009 8:50 am

I slightly disagree that Cambridge and Tauranga are just two towns- Tauranga has the BEACH. Cambridge is lovely and I'm sure you could make a wonderful life here but if actually Tauranga would have been your preference over Cambridge then I'd say a little inconvenience now will reward dividends later.

That's two excellent choices you've got- I'd pin them down now on salary so you can compare because Tauranga is expensive so you want to be sure you'd have a decent lifestyle there. Win-win for you though :thumbup:

Psychopandy Dec 18th 2009 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 8182392)
I slightly disagree that Cambridge and Tauranga are just two towns- Tauranga has the BEACH. Cambridge is lovely and I'm sure you could make a wonderful life here but if actually Tauranga would have been your preference over Cambridge then I'd say a little inconvenience now will reward dividends later.

That's two excellent choices you've got- I'd pin them down now on salary so you can compare because Tauranga is expensive so you want to be sure you'd have a decent lifestyle there. Win-win for you though :thumbup:

Part of my issue - if im honest - is the financial aspect of things. I have read enough on here to know that both are expensive but Tauranga has the leading edge - and being coastal this is to be expected - whether i will want to start all the research again from scratch and seriously consider this ... i dont honestly know :confused:

Thank you for the positive attitude though - i need lots of that x