British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   pss shipping (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/pss-shipping-712383/)

tonz76 Apr 6th 2011 6:51 pm

pss shipping

Hi just wondered if anyone has used PSS for shipping their stuff to NZ. I have been told they use NZ Van Lines to deliver any feedback appreciated

cappuccino Apr 6th 2011 10:42 pm

Re: pss shipping

I used them 3+ years ago - no problems either end. Does however depend on which packing team you get (mine were from Essex) and unpacking team this end (mine were from Wellington).

Do a search on here for PSS and you will get lots of feedback.

P18PPS Apr 7th 2011 4:10 am

We used them nearly 6 years ago, and had NZ Van Lines this end - nice guys both ends, a few minor breakages but nothing major, I'd use them again.

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 7th 2011 5:49 am

I personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. PSS okay, NZ Vanlines a nightmare :scaredhair:

P18PPS Apr 7th 2011 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 9290862)
I personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. PSS okay, NZ Vanlines a nightmare :scaredhair:

oh dear - when did you use them - might be useful to know if recent...

Moomoo Apr 7th 2011 7:36 am

Hi

We used PSS when coming out in October 2008 and NZ van lines this end - PSS packers were great in UK, very efficient. NZ van lines guys did good job unpacking this end. Happy with service.

Kerry

rossojo Apr 7th 2011 8:58 am

we used PSS too, packing in July 2010 in Doncaster, storage in UK and then delivery to Christchurch February 2011 by Vanlines, collection of packaging and boxes yesterday. Can't fault the service at each end, one broken item only. Overall would recommend them.
Jo

janeyk Apr 7th 2011 8:12 pm

PSS were great in West Country (they sub contracted to a local firm) NZ van lines in Wellington who arrived at 3pm Friday and completed by 5pm extremley helpful!

craigjohnstone Apr 7th 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by janeyk (Post 9292264)
PSS were great in West Country (they sub contracted to a local firm) NZ van lines in Wellington who arrived at 3pm Friday and completed by 5pm extremley helpful!

We had PSS quote against a couple of other firms for shipping our stuff from Bolton to Auckland at the beginning of this year for a 40ft container. Pickfords came out on top, coming in at £5000 whilst PSS were up at £5750. Pickfords service was fine as far as it goes - we expect our stuff to arrive on the 5th May.

Also hoping that you have gone independent for your Marine Insurance. It's about 1/2 the price of what the removal companies charge.

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 7th 2011 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 9291006)
oh dear - when did you use them - might be useful to know if recent...

Not that recent, Jan 2007 when we left the UK & April 2007 when they delivered our stuff. Took ages to get any money out of them for the stuff that was damaged/broken. The NZ Vanlines peeps threw our stuff around, I was appalled by their lack of respect for our things.

We used Pickfords two years earlier & although stuff was damaged that time, they paid up with absolutely no hassle at all.

Wessa Apr 8th 2011 8:01 am

Tony,
i think ive got them going round to mine in a week or two, i cant remember as im in NZ and arranged it before i left.. I will let you know the price once Karen gets one. Robinson have come out at 3.500 and Pickfords 3.700 for a twenty footer.. Robinsons quoted 460 quid for full insurance.. I told him id been quoted 450 from Hendersons.. :thumbup:

tonz76 Apr 8th 2011 9:18 am

Originally Posted by craigjohnstone (Post 9292296)
We had PSS quote against a couple of other firms for shipping our stuff from Bolton to Auckland at the beginning of this year for a 40ft container. Pickfords came out on top, coming in at £5000 whilst PSS were up at £5750. Pickfords service was fine as far as it goes - we expect our stuff to arrive on the 5th May.

Also hoping that you have gone independent for your Marine Insurance. It's about 1/2 the price of what the removal companies charge.

Im very surprised that Pickfords were cheaper than PSS. The big benefit with Pickfords is they are also on NZ side so just one company dealing with your shipping.

I def going inindependentor marine insurance had a very good quote from Letton Percival their rate is 1.25% :thumbsup:

KSR Aug 9th 2011 9:34 pm

I wanted to like PSS but unfortunately had a bad experience with the packing and follow up service. I think the deal is that they outsource to local packing companies, so it's a bit of a postcode lottery. If you happen to know they do a good job in your particular area and you're willing to take the risk, PSS may be fine for you. I was in Bristol, UK.

If you're interested in the details of my experience:

When my boxes arrived (I had about 10 sent I think) a couple contained ornaments just chucked in between clothes, not wrapped at all, and the clothes themselves screwed up into bundles. Some of the ornaments arrived chipped or broken, and many of the clothes have not regained their shape, even after professional dry cleaning etc.

Most specifically though, a family heirloom 19th century antique chair that I had specifically written to them about, and asked them to professionally pack, was just in the box with a thin piece of brown paper around it - no padding, fragile stickers or anything else you might expect. Not surprisingly, it arrived very badly smashed up and will never be fully repairable.

The insurance turned out not to cover anything like the cost of attempting a repair (especially after the PSS excess was taken from it), so I wrote and asked them if, as a goodwill gesture, they would refund the cost of the "professional packing" service I'd paid for, and which they clearly hadn't provided to the standard anyone would reasonably expect.

I also mentioned, to be polite, that I was planning to leave an online review. I believe it's fair to let companies know this beforehand, as it makes them aware that their response may be published, gives them a chance to offer their side of story, find out what happened, and make amends if they choose.

PSS wrote back with what amounted to a pretty ungracious apology, didn't offer any explanation about why the items weren't packed properly (said it was "standard"!), and -most strangely- accused me of threatening them. Most good businesses understand that online reviews take place and are pleased to have them since they attract customers. They don't view it as a threat unless they have something to hide. They also usually appreciate knowing before they offer a response, that it will be included in a review.

I then received a letter through the post stating "...in order to stop you publishing your opinions on the internet [we are sending the refund for the packing]" Obviously they misunderstood that I would be leaving a review anyway and that the purpose of letting them know was to give them a chance to make things somewhat better beforehand. Anyway, they enclosed a cheque... for £25! It really feels like these people were taking the p*ss - having already kicked me in the teeth by ruining something of huge sentimental value with their shoddy packing service. All in all, very strange and unprofessional.

Debbie2NZ Aug 9th 2011 10:24 pm

We used PSS from Surrey to Christchurch in February of this year. They were good at packing and NZ Van Lines were good unpacking. Happy to recommend them. Sorry the above poster had such an appalling service.

Allied Movers moved us from Christchurch to Wanganui, North Island. Everything arrived in perfect condition, except the plastic storage boxes full of books etc that were cracked. :blink: We could have claimed but probably would not have got past the excess on the insurance policy !

AndyRuth Aug 10th 2011 5:03 am

We used PSS to move from Nantwich last January. We had not sold at the time and left all our stuff to ' dress ' the house and fortunately it sold in March , phew. Anyway couple of friends stayed with the packing crew and they were very impressed , efficient and friendly. At this end I can not praise NZ Van Lines enough , very helpful in retrieving certain essential cartons when the container arrived in Auckland , again friendly and ' nothing was too much trouble ' , no breakages in the 20 or so cartons that i picked up , hopefully the rest will be the same , if the way the cartons were sensibly packed that i opened then it should be sweet as :)

Big thumbs up to PSS and NZ VAN LINES from me then :thumbup:

btw they were the cheapest quote as well , around £3400 , the other companies we contacted were Pickfords , Crown and John Mason