Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

PSS .... any good?

PSS .... any good?

Old Jul 25th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice
Default PSS .... any good?

I'm in the process of getting some quotes in from removal companies, due to a lot of good feedback on here I was going to look at John Mason.

I was also thinking about PSS, as they offer a door to door service (hopefully will avoid the NZ scammers)

Has anybody used them? I've got a feeling they may be a bit expensive but we'll see!!!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PSS .... any good?

Jhon Mason where brilliant for us, don,t know about the others ?

Neil
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave77
I'm in the process of getting some quotes in from removal companies, due to a lot of good feedback on here I was going to look at John Mason.

I was also thinking about PSS, as they offer a door to door service (hopefully will avoid the NZ scammers)

Has anybody used them? I've got a feeling they may be a bit expensive but we'll see!!!
PSS were good for us & the cheapest by a mile.
Old Jul 25th 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

For us PSS out of Northampton were very bad. But each district has diffo staff as Mickey has noted. You pays your money you take your choice. Over here we has NZ van lines and were well impressed..others have not been. Its a game of crap!!
Old Jul 25th 2010, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

kooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to all

i used pss plymouth, in 2003, no problem at all, and also cheapest then by far.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Jhon Mason where brilliant for us, don,t know about the others ?

Neil

Ditto the above!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:21 am
Near the outer fringe

JohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond reputeJohnThePom has a reputation beyond repute

We're using PSS. Door to door doesn't necessarily mean that they don't subcontract at the destination. PSS use NZ Van Lines in NZ. (or at least that's what they've quoted us to ship to Welly)
Old Jul 26th 2010, 10:42 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

We used PSS from London to Wellington.

I had no problems with them at the UK end....until we'd moved and then heard nothing about the shipping number, or when our container had left, nothing. A quick email to them and they swiftly replied with a super abrupt email addressed to Mr.......I am definitely a Miss, and have always been (as far as I know!!). So not a problem really in the grand scheme of things!

As WP states, they use NZ van lines this end. We had no problems with NZVL - OH had the pleasure of sorting stuff out this end, and he did say they were always very friendly and helpful.

The packers in the UK were great, really quick and efficient and the guys this end were fine too. They unpacked the stuff we wanted them to on the day (mainly hi big items) and the rest we unpacked. We then phoned NZVL to come to collect the empty boxes - no problem with this.

We only had 2 breakages with PSS - one was a hideous ornament that we'd been gven a few years ago and had been guilt tripped into having on display and the other item was a picture I bought as a kid and OH absolutely hated - so all in all, the breakages probably did us a favour!

PSS were about £400 cheaper than he other quotes - we were only using about 1/3 container - PSS charged us ~£1700 including insurance, whereas none of the other would have been under £2000 with insurance.

ETA: oh yeah....and regards to access - we queried this both in the UK and this end. PSS in the UK couldn't said the price covered delivery to first floor or lower. The house we're renting has reasonably poor access (for Welly it's goodish access so for anywhere else it's poor!) and so we double checked with NZVL and they did not charge us extra just because crap access is the norm in Welly.

Last edited by shelloid; Jul 26th 2010 at 10:44 am. Reason: adding info about access
Old Jul 26th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I used PSS 2.5 years ago and was extremely pleased with their service (and that of NZVL this end). I had the Essex team of packers who were brilliant. There were no breakages probably cos they used a mountain of packing materials to protect everything.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave,
I've used PSS twice and they were good on both occasions. No breakages. They even managed to transport several very fragile radio-controlled planes to NZ and back to Billericay, without so much as a scratch. And as a couple of others have said, quite a bit cheaper than other co's I got quotes from. I used NZ Van Lines in NZ, to move between the two islands, and couple of bits of kit went 'missing', including a brand new Karcher pressure-washer. Ho-hum!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rolfie
Hi Dave,
I've used PSS twice and they were good on both occasions. No breakages. They even managed to transport several very fragile radio-controlled planes to NZ and back to Billericay, without so much as a scratch. And as a couple of others have said, quite a bit cheaper than other co's I got quotes from. I used NZ Van Lines in NZ, to move between the two islands, and couple of bits of kit went 'missing', including a brand new Karcher pressure-washer. Ho-hum!
We've got PSS coming in next week for a quote, so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Apologies for hijacking the discussion, but I'd be very interested to hear how much it cost you to move between islands, as we may be faced with such a move next year.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond reputeRolfie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushmere
We've got PSS coming in next week for a quote, so it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

Apologies for hijacking the discussion, but I'd be very interested to hear how much it cost you to move between islands, as we may be faced with such a move next year.
Can't be certain, but I think it was about $600. As I recall we got a 'special' rate as we were prepared to let the company cross the islands when they had another customer to transfer as well, so we shared the costs rather than forcing the company to make the trip just for us as it were. The quote was about 3 times as much if we insisted on a delivery straight away, and exclusively for us.
I'd advise getting 3 quotes if you can, and let each of them know you are prepared to share the delivery with another customer if that would work for you. Hope this helps, and good luck. . .
Old Jul 26th 2010, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

dave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nicedave77 is just really nice

Thankyou all for the great replies, its very reassuring

I've decided to get them in for a quote and see how what they come in at...it's busy, busy all this emigrating malarky
Old Jul 26th 2010, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

By the way, Cappucino & Rolfie - great to hear that Essex can get something right, hope I get the same guys lol!!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, Cappucino & Rolfie - great to hear that Essex can get something right, hope I get the same guys lol!!
I knew there was an old thread on PSS somewhere -finally found it. Hope it's of some use to you.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567066

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.