British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Prospect of IT jobs in Newzeland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/prospect-jobs-newzeland-793632/)

salmanearn Apr 11th 2013 6:24 am

Prospect of IT jobs in Newzeland

Hi Every one ,

I am hope full to get newzeland immigration soon.But i am still not sure about getting a IT job over there.Can any one advise me which is the best place to go. I am Network Engineer having 4 year experience in networking and system support .What you guys think.
It would be great to know about the prospect of IT jobs in NZL.

Thanks

earn

MrsFychan Apr 11th 2013 6:39 am

Re: Prospect of IT jobs in Newzeland

your best bet is to check out Trademe and Seek.

Also you do know how to spell NZ properly don't you? :o

simonmarkellis Apr 11th 2013 6:59 am

As our concierge suggests check out TradeMe and Seek for all the jobs you feel you can fulfil, then contact the agencies running the adverts and get them to peer review your CV. Your unlikely to get a job offer without being in the country as most IT companies want to sit you in front of them for interviews. This was exactly what I did back in 2007 and it worked for me...

Stephen Jones Apr 11th 2013 5:37 pm

am doing just that in October....

MrsFychan Apr 11th 2013 8:36 pm

husband, IT Geek, agrees no luck getting agencies to pass on his CV to employers as most IT jobs seem to be Interview, Offer, start next day. They do like their "lets have a coffee" type interviews and you really do need boots on the ground for that. It seems more to be, will you fit into the dynamic of the exiting team over experience, obviously experience is important but it does not seem to be the be all and end all.

salmanearn Apr 12th 2013 7:45 am

Thanks Every one ,of course i can spell Newzeland :) Happy
Will give a it a try for sure let see !!!!

salmanearn Apr 12th 2013 7:52 am

@simonmarkellis
Which is best place to start from I mean which city . Any Idea about the salary for 2nd line IT support . Like in london if I am doing a 27k job ,what salary i should target minimum.
cheers

simonmarkellis Apr 12th 2013 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by salmanearn (Post 10654894)
@simonmarkellis
Which is best place to start from I mean which city . Any Idea about the salary for 2nd line IT support . Like in london if I am doing a 27k job ,what salary i should target minimum.
cheers

I would guesstimate, you're looking at somewhere between 60k-80k, depending on the company and your skill level... as to which city, that's totally subjective... each of the 3 major cities have there own charm and depends on what you're after...

seek has a few jobs in all the cities for network engineers...

MrsFychan Apr 12th 2013 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by salmanearn (Post 10654894)
cheers

Best idea would to look on the sites mentioned to see where the most jobs are. I have a friend who works in IT but over the last 18mths has not been able to secure a job in the Wellington region so is now off up to Auckland to try

cappuccino Apr 13th 2013 4:32 am

Originally Posted by salmanearn (Post 10654888)
Thanks Every one ,of course i can spell Newzeland :) Happy
Will give a it a try for sure let see !!!!

Oh no you can't :p

salmanearn Apr 13th 2013 9:15 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10656031)
Best idea would to look on the sites mentioned to see where the most jobs are. I have a friend who works in IT but over the last 18mths has not been able to secure a job in the Wellington region so is now off up to Auckland to try

Bad news :(