Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Pros and Cons of Working and Living in NZ

Pros and Cons of Working and Living in NZ

Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice
Default Re: Pros and Cons of Working and Living in NZ

Originally Posted by Stormer999
It was what is known as British humor.......a joke

British Humour is great.

I spent the first 12 months offending people, not always on purpose may i add, blokes in the pub are just not "blokes in the pub"

Way too much back slapping and ego stroking for my liking,

Nothing like a good slagging match to build a friendship.

Not a con though, just eh,,, how do they say it here... "Cultural diversity"
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:13 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tom1983
It's the greatest country in the world. Spectacular views, spectacular activities, everything about the place is brilliant. There's no country in the world as good as New Zealand

A fabulous health care system, great child care facilities, tourist activities, you can fly anywhere so cheaply, driving standards are better than anywhere you can imagine, houses are quality, honestly I cannot think of a better place in the world to be in than New Zealand

Where else could you live an affordable Mayfair lifestyle.

Work is fantastic as well. No such thing as waiting till the last minute, demanding you spend 5 hours telling what you've done every minute of every hour during the day, literally you can just walk into work and spend 8 hours googling or be on facebook and you'll get paid. It's just such a fantastic laid back non stressful atmosphere in the world. You will love it

There are no cons to this magnificent country. Just double check that you can obtain a visa and then once you are here, relax and enjoy a lifestyle that the whole world will be jealous of

To be in a better position, learn Mandarin.

Tom are you really Phil Spencer off Relocation Down Under? It sounds like it to me.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Tom are you really Phil Spencer off Relocation Down Under? It sounds like it to me.
I think he's been drinking too much of the Kiwi Kool-Aid (L&P)

Made me think of Nik Kershaw song - altogether now:

'Wouldn't it be good to be in your shoes...even if it was for just one day... wouldn't it be good to be on your side... the grass is always greener over here... wouldn't it be good if we could live without a care.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:45 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming (hoping) its something caused sarcasm
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:12 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I'm assuming (hoping) its something caused sarcasm
Or aiming at April 1st......
Old Apr 1st 2014, 9:09 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
I generally agree with the above.

There are 4 additions I would made:

1) Do not move to Auckland unless you have very deep pockets or are happy to lose some of your savings
2) In Auckland - traffic is worse (especially at rush hour) than many places in the UK
3) House prices here make many places in the UK seem very cheap
4) Accepting the above - its a great place to visit and you can live a very happy life here
I could flip your number three around though. There are house prices here that make many places in the UK look expensive. All depends where you are comparing. Auckland compared to Manchester then UK would win hands down. If you compare say Dunedin with Brighton then NZ wins hands down
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I should have put the 2 lines "In Auckland" at the start of 3. Based on my current research and list of areas/houses and league tables that I have created as part of our move back, Auckland is more expensive on average than virtually everywhere in the UK apart from some of the very very desirable suburbs in London, i.e. Chelsea and Westminster (and the odd exception outside of London).

Other places i.e. Otago, Invercargill do make the UK seem very expensive (excluding deposit requirements). Hence if and when we return, it will NOT be to Auckland but likely to be H. Bay, Central Otage, Waikato or Canterbury (watch out pom!)

Last edited by davros1984; Apr 1st 2014 at 6:25 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Pips, Bo, Mrs Fychan etc

I am taking a new career up called sales.

The original poster wanted to ask about New Zealand, therefore I did what sales people do and sold him New Zealand.

I have put my 'wanted down under' hat on - make the place seem paradise compared to wherever he is now. It would help me even more if he told me where in NZ he's looking. If he gives me Queenstown, Nelson or Picton - then i'd make the place sound better than Walt Disney World.

I am in the process of learning to sell 'blame the financial crash on the public sector'. National, Conservative and Republican manifestos are an excellent source of information, as well as the Daily Mail
Old Apr 1st 2014, 9:30 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

As they say in NZ - "Good on yer Tom".
Old Apr 1st 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kirby1992
Hi all
I have the oppurtunity to move to NZ with a Job offer, i am a diesel mechanic.

I also will be moving with my partner and 2 year old son.

Just wanted some advice on moving and what its like living out there with a small family .

Any information will be greatly appricated.

Many Thanks
Me, my wife and 3 year old came out here last July, from London.

All I can tell you is that I feel like a much better husband and Dad here than I ever was in London.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 11:20 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Other places i.e. Otago, Invercargill do make the UK seem very expensive (excluding deposit requirements). Hence if and when we return, it will NOT be to Auckland but likely to be H. Bay, Central Otage, Waikato or Canterbury (watch out pom!)
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Read the blog, and start back at the beginning. It tells the whole story. Feel free to fire me any questions
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Tom - I thought you could not be serious. More repeating the 'official' view!

Davos - You say when you return you will not live in Auckland, but another city in NZ. I feel that once you have been in Auckland you may find it much harder to live in say, Invercargill or down South. I found after living in Dunedin and Invercargill for some time, that if we hadn't moved to Auckland then we would not have stayed in NZ, because what you miss here is really worse when you go outside of Auckland. Of ourse, that's just a personal opinion.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
Davos - You say when you return you will not live in Auckland, but another city in NZ. I feel that once you have been in Auckland you may find it much harder to live in say, Invercargill or down South. I found after living in Dunedin and Invercargill for some time, that if we hadn't moved to Auckland then we would not have stayed in NZ, because what you miss here is really worse when you go outside of Auckland. Of ourse, that's just a personal opinion.
Fair one. I think it depends on where you are at in life. I reckon my partner would struggle with being anywhere in NZ apart from Auckland (at least for the next 5-10 years). I really hope that I am able to find a good life for myself somewhere rural-ish in the UK so that I can live somewhere nice, not too busy but am not so remote that I feel cut off from the world.

Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 1:24 am
Looking for my marbles.

Davros I think that what you are looking for will be more up North where I am from originally. There are lots of little villages surrounded by countryside. They are not too far away from the towns and cities where the jobs are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.