Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Property Rental - what's required?

Property Rental - what's required?

Old Sep 17th 2006, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Harleychick will become famous soon enoughHarleychick will become famous soon enough
Default Property Rental - what's required?

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to check to see what documentation would be required from a potential landlord/lady for rental in wellington.

Any other gems of info I should know?

Is it true it takes two months to open a bank account?????
Old Sep 17th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Property Rental - what's required?

Usual stuff:

Id
Utility bills from previous abode
Sometimes references, get previous neighbours to sign a copy of one that you have written, not always essential as you will normally be interviewed by the landlord or the property agent.

Check this out for more information http://www.dbh.govt.nz/tenants-getting-started

Bank accounts can be opened from the UK check this out http://www.nbnz.co.nz/personal/life/index/residents.htm

NZ banking is one of the best in the world, don’t know who told you it takes 2 months to open an account, absolute balderdash.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Property Rental - what's required?

Originally Posted by Harleychick
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to check to see what documentation would be required from a potential landlord/lady for rental in wellington.

no set rules but expect to be asked the usual stuff...Proof of income, references, ID. If you are new to the country references can be tricky, thats just the name of the game, references from your past address in the UK wont necessarily be accepted, but it wont do any harm if you do have them. Some people have offered a larger deposit for the first 6 months say to sweeten the deal for the landlord.

In terms of a bank account, you can open it from the UK, look on the websites of NBNZ.co.nz, westpac.co.nz and asb.co.nz for example. They all offer services for opening bank accounts before you arrive in NZ, all you have to do to activate your account when you arrive is pop into the branch with your Id and they have your ATM cards, chequebooks etc all ready to go.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Folks,

It didnt take 2 months to open a bank acct, but westpac wouldnt open an acct for us when we got there as we had no proof of address and would NOT do it without this and as we were staying with relatives we had nothing showing address, so we went to the ASB
Old Sep 18th 2006, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

beaches is an unknown quantity at this point

Strange. Westpac opened our account from overseas. We just popped in when we arrived and got everything finalised, and were issued with our Eftpoe cards etc straight away. THey were great.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kwprwn
It didnt take 2 months to open a bank acct, but westpac wouldnt open an acct for us when we got there as we had no proof of address and would NOT do it without this and as we were staying with relatives we had nothing showing address, so we went to the ASB
you were probably dealing with some nupmty at the branch.
Write a letter to complain and ask why you were not advised or given access to their migrant banking services. they should know they are loosing customers by branch staff not taking any initiative or being proactive with immigrants...

or do you have a dodgy mug?..hehe
Old Sep 19th 2006, 1:45 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Hiya,

It took me 15 mins to open a bank account in NZ (didn't arrange to open one from abroad).

Just walked in, had my passport with visa in it and filled in some forms, then walked out with a little card with my account number and received my bank card within a week That was with BNZ, although I know a few other banks will give you your bank card straight away (maybe ASB?)

As far as rental documents are concerned, my partner's sister had arranged a rental for us before our arrival, we just needed to sign the lease on arrival. Even though we had references from our landlord in the UK, the people here didn't ask for anything We just paid 3 weeks bond, 1 week in advance and $25 power connection.

Jen

Hi Folks,