Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Propert / Rental / Jobs

Propert / Rental / Jobs

Old Feb 20th 2016, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Propert / Rental / Jobs

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Agree importing materials is not likely to be a good idea. If you know a couple of reliable builders in the UK and you are prepared to work on "time and materials" plus their return air fare and accommodation then you could price this against the locals - although getting them visas to work might be "interesting". It isn't like shipping a couple of UK builders over to Spain or Portugal to work on your villa. You might be able to do a deal with tradespeople who want to migrate - guarantee them a job to assist immigration - but the risk is being increased all the time. What will a project cost? - The Drawing Board "The Department of Building and Housing estimates that a small house of 145m2 cost $1,787 per square metre in the Auckland region and a large house of 202m2 costs approx $1,627 per square metre in Auckland." So not sure where you are looking for your costings, unless you are looking at the budget end and added an extra zero by mistake. Always worth looking at pre-built houses delivered in sections on the back of lorries. A bit more expensive per square metre than an on-site build but you do get to see the property being built in the factory and there is some assurance that the trades people building it are doing so under quality control and have previous relevant experience. Hiring individual builders in the UK is a potential nightmare and even if you pay top dollar you can't guarantee you are getting top quality. I assume that the same applies in NZ. There is currently a shortage of builders and allied trades in this part of the UK, as everyone seems to be modifying and extending. Friends are refurbishing a property and they are having a lot of trouble sourcing plasterers and the like. They did another property about 2 years ago, and he is a building surveyor, so they are in a position to know what the current market is like. [We had an extension built a while back and the amount of "liquid gold" which went into the foundations never to be seen again was quite frightening.]
Great information thanks
The figure of $10k was quoted by estate agents when we were looking at land prices. I was looking at similar established property (trying to ensure not over capitalizing) and working back to establish land value content (ie total value less assumed building cost).
Foundation costs will be large as we are digging out to 4.8 metres.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

kingacat is an unknown quantity at this point

when we moved to Tauranga in 2011 we rented a 4 bedroom property for $400 weekly which was considered very expensive. Now in 2016 the average cost seems to be $400+ for much smaller properties.
There is huge competition for rentals so I would suggest you do your research well.
Best of luck
Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Sunnyferns15 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the rental details in respect of Tauranga. We have been looking on trade me and Real Estate to get an idea of rental prices for a 3 or 4 Bed. A lot of it will be dependent on us getting jobs. We are only just starting our visa process in the UK.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Parnell
Great information thanks
The figure of $10k was quoted by estate agents when we were looking at land prices. I was looking at similar established property (trying to ensure not over capitalizing) and working back to establish land value content (ie total value less assumed building cost).
I'm struggling with the figure of 4.8 metres which is 15.75 feet in old money.

This is equivalent to two storeys in the average UK house (i.e. up to the guttering or a bit beyond).

Are you digging this out across the whole site (side of a very steep hill), or are you just putting in some sort of piling to that depth?

Just boggling my mind at the volume of a 4.8 metre deep concrete raft by visualising filling the whole house with concrete up to the bedroom ceiling.

Then again, this could explain a cost of $10k per square metre
Old Feb 21st 2016, 6:59 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Great information thanks
Don't know if it helps, but if you look up the CV of some properties in the area on the Auckland Council website, it splits the land value and the building value. This is only a rough approximation but it might give some useful data to compare.
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Parnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond reputeParnell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm struggling with the figure of 4.8 metres which is 15.75 feet in old money.

This is equivalent to two storeys in the average UK house (i.e. up to the guttering or a bit beyond).

Are you digging this out across the whole site (side of a very steep hill), or are you just putting in some sort of piling to that depth?

Just boggling my mind at the volume of a 4.8 metre deep concrete raft by visualising filling the whole house with concrete up to the bedroom ceiling.

Then again, this could explain a cost of $10k per square metre
Sorry it's only 3.6 metres I mis read draft drawings. Height is larger to fit boat and campervan
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry it's only 3.6 metres I mis read draft drawings. Height is larger to fit boat and campervan
So this is just space under the house for a garage - not actual foundations or anything.

That makes more sense.

Everything up on posts, or are you building a wall around the garage/storage (so making an extra storey on the house)?
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

So this is just space under the house for a garage - not actual foundations or anything. That makes more sense. Everything up on posts, or are you building a wall around the garage/storage (so making an extra storey on the house)?
Basement Garage = 3.6 metres (expect slab to be 600mm but depends on final site tests and subsequent engineering report.Ground floor (1.2 metres out of ground - above basement 2.4 metres into ground)First floorTerrace roofExpect there will be a fair amount of weight hence the larger slab - could even go as far as 1 metre? don't know until reports come back.

Oh and this is a combined commercial/residential build
Old Feb 22nd 2016, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds fun

Hope it all goes well for you.

I would appreciate updates as you go, because self build is one of the options we are considering.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

We've now agreed on an already tried and tested house design with Platinum Homes.
Single level, 4 bed, 240 sq metres. Basic costs estimated at $361k for the house build in brick with metal tile roof and including 45m x 3m metal driveway, 160 sq metres of concrete for anywhere we need around the house - e.g in front of the garage, the path to the front door, under the rear portico etc and estimated allowances for earthworks, electricity supply, water supply and telephone/data line, upgrade of kitchen, council consent fees, Geotech report and GST. On top of this we also have to pay for a septic tank, associated plumbing, design and consents - probably another $15k. We've also got a list of tweaks that we'd like to make and all in this is taking the build up to $394k at the moment. There are a few unknowns that we need to get a more accurate price on and we are hoping this will shave a few $k's off that price.This is medium spec and working out around $1600 per square metre so pretty happy with the overall cost versus what we are actually getting for it. Luckily we also got the plans in with the builder last year so have taken advantage of the fact everything - materials and labor have gone up at least 10% coming in to 2016.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Basic costs estimated at $361k.....We've also got a list of tweaks that we'd like to make and all in this is taking the build up to $394k at the moment.
That sounds good, you hear so often about people adding another 150k on top of the starting price.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds fun Hope it all goes well for you. I would appreciate updates as you go, because self build is one of the options we are considering.
Will do just a few months ahead with the council
Small issues with height and footprint to be worked through
Old Mar 8th 2016, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex Katikati, Omokoroa now Mildenhall UK :-(, 12 days and counting till we are back in NZ!!
tease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nice

What you have to bear in mind is that you will be earning NZD not £ so you can't really do a direct comparison, transferring to £ ATM is hard because the exchange rate is crap
Old Apr 5th 2016, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Montie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

It's been a while since I have posted anything but I am much further down line now with my Visa. I have now signed a contract for a job in Hamilton as a gas fitter, doing medicals today to application going in next week. I am just wondering if anyone can recommend where to live in or around Waikato region or where I could commute from and what travelling is like? I have two children one 13yrs and one 7yrs any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Montie
Old Apr 5th 2016, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montie
Hi All

It's been a while since I have posted anything but I am much further down line now with my Visa. I have now signed a contract for a job in Hamilton as a gas fitter, doing medicals today to application going in next week. I am just wondering if anyone can recommend where to live in or around Waikato region or where I could commute from and what travelling is like? I have two children one 13yrs and one 7yrs any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Montie
Congrats on the job.
A mate of mine in Pukekohe is a gas fitter/plumber. Came over last August, has done 6 months in the job but has got fed up of it and resigned. Even though the company employed him as the senior man since he has 20 years UK experience he was basically being used as an apprentice until he grew his NZ experience, did the necessary exams and courses here and got the essential registration. He's been digging holes and trenches, crawling about under houses, floorboards and making tea
He's landed himself an area contracts manager job in Palmy for a North Island property maintenance company. Starts in 4 weeks so is busy packing up the family and moving.
Anyways, enough of that

I work on the outskirts of Hamilton between the airport and the city but live over the hill in Tauranga. 99KM's takes me 1hr and a few mins. No issues with traffic.
Do you want to be in Hamilton or up to how far away ? Do you want to be near the beach ? Rural or suburban ?
Cambridge is very popular with families and is a lovely town with all the amenities. Used to be a small farming village but has grown heaps. There's many other options. All my colleagues bar one live around Hamilton so can give you all the low down.
Travelling is fine. Can get a bit busy in to and leaving town at rush hour but all depends where your yard will be and a lot of the time you could be just going straight to the job in the morning from home.
Hamilton itself is one of those places you either like or hate. I personally quite like it, especially in the city with the mighty Waikato River running through. I really like the city and the heaps of pubs, restaurants and coffee shops. Great shopping centre out at Te Rapa called The Base. Probably the largest in NZ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.