Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:07 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Originally Posted by davros1984
I may as well go back to Epsom or Reigate if I want that!
Hey, I went to Reigate college!
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Thats really not the answer is it?
No, it's not. Sorry Davros. That was a bad post on my part. Hope all is forgiven
Old Sep 25th 2013, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
I believe my eyes are wide open. Those who think Auckland has affordable family housing are the ones with their eyes shut.

My line of work is in IT, specifically infrastructure, planning and design. Thus, 99% of the job opportunities in my field, especially here in NZ are in central Auckland or Wellington. Heck - a lot of the IT jobs that were on the N. Shore have gone south of the bridge now are are in the central city.

I don't think I am being unrealistic, I am prepared to live 30,50 or 80k's out and commute, so long as commuting is actually reasonable and doesn't add 4 hours to your day, I may as well go back to Epsom or Reigate if I want that! One thing I am considering is the ferry service from the Coromandel.

Realistically, I have to accept that until the government either get building affordable homes in central, or add rail to the outskirts of Auckland, I cannot buy a house here. Whilst that is not the start and end of everything, there is a reason why I work long hours, service a student loan and save. After 11 years of renting - I'm tired of it.

You are right in what you say, hence why I am planning a move home. Where you can get a 30-40-50K GBP job and buy a nice house for 140-180K GBP - far more realistic! At the same time there is cheap travel, Europe and many more accessible places on the doorstep.

I love New Zealand, I have a good life here and I can't explain how frustrating it is that me and my partner will have to go home despite doing well for ourselves here and that I actually have a job that I like!

To the person who talked about rolls-royce cars being a rip off, that really isn't the point. A wooden shed with a tin roof certainly is not a rolls in the housing world and to be paying 600-800K for one is certain madness.

I see my only other option to stay in NZ is to do a career change so that I can live in the cheaper regions of NZ.
Sorry for my earlier post Davros, it was neither constructive nor helpful. What time are you willing to leave home for your drive into the city? Pukekohe is a very, very affordable option. It's a lovely town and has rail links into Britomart. If you leave home at 6.15am (ish) - you can be in town within approx 45 mins driving. As for the train - I've never used it myself, but plenty of people do. Patumahoe is the next little town along from Pukekohe. You can get a new-build B&T house and land package for approx $500k. You can buy existing homes in Pukekohe and Patumahoe for cheaper than that. Take a look, you might be pleasantly surprised by the area. All the best.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 11:32 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marblep
Sorry for my earlier post Davros, it was neither constructive nor helpful. What time are you willing to leave home for your drive into the city? Pukekohe is a very, very affordable option. It's a lovely town and has rail links into Britomart. If you leave home at 6.15am (ish) - you can be in town within approx 45 mins driving. As for the train - I've never used it myself, but plenty of people do. Patumahoe is the next little town along from Pukekohe. You can get a new-build B&T house and land package for approx $500k. You can buy existing homes in Pukekohe and Patumahoe for cheaper than that. Take a look, you might be pleasantly surprised by the area. All the best.
Will you stop that! Puke or Patumahoe are on my list of possible purchases. I don't want immigrants moving in and pushing up the prices!

I reckon that train line will improve and then prices will shoot up.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jmh
Will you stop that! Puke or Patumahoe are on my list of possible purchases. I don't want immigrants moving in and pushing up the prices!

I reckon that train line will improve and then prices will shoot up.

It's a fab spot!
Old Sep 28th 2013, 2:21 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11131182

Reading this in the paper today warning aucklanders about volcano risk and glad i can't afford a house

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Sep 28th 2013 at 2:24 am.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11131182

Reading this in the paper today warning aucklanders about volcano risk and glad i can't afford a house
Really?! As a Kiwi you'd give in to this melodrama volcano stuff? Where are you going to live then? Because this, or other natural disasters and 'unspeakable atrocities' are apparently happening everywhere. Hmmmm, Norfolk Island sounds good. They did their atrocities 150 years ago. Will they be safe from a tsunami? Hmmm, doubt it.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Really?! As a Kiwi you'd give in to this melodrama volcano stuff? Where are you going to live then? Because this, or other natural disasters and 'unspeakable atrocities' are apparently happening everywhere. Hmmmm, Norfolk Island sounds good. They did their atrocities 150 years ago. Will they be safe from a tsunami? Hmmm, doubt it.
The same story appears in the paper every couple of years or so. There was even a TV drama about an eruption in Auckland a few years ago.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

MarbleP - no offense taken. Nothing wrong with a good debate/discussion and opposite points of view put across. Your point about me being ready to move home and buy a semi is about bang on. In fact, I wish they had that sort of entry-level housing here for people (as opposed to really poorly constructed and layed-out apartments in the city).

Of course, now that plan to move back and buy a semi is at risk. Snapshot and pippa etc you may be interested in this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-24319583

They have brought forward the second phase of right-to-buy, so expect property prices to now start going up outside of London. All this nonsense about 6% house prices increases in the UK is only true because of London. Again - the arsehole of the UK that is the South East which gets way too much bias and favourtism by the media. But yes, sadly, prices across the rest of the UK will now most likely start going up.

With regards to the areas you mention MarbleP - thanks for that. For me, driving is not really an option so I am reliant on public transport for work. We have 1 car and the mrs uses that for her job. So I'd need to be able to commute in 3-4 days a week by train or bus. I could drive in time, but driving makes me so angry in Auckland that it really would want to make me leave. As you say, fingers crossed that the train service gets improved.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

I would add though that those of you who have been critical, must fall into one of the following:

* you bought a house here at least a few years ago when they were dirt cheap
* you have a lot of working capital so you don't have to start from scratch here
* you are in complete denial and are putting on a brave face
* you're too young to care about home ownership or starting a family
* you have a job that allows you to work and live outside of auckland

those who are critical of pippalonghorn, snapshot, myself and countless others should be careful as I believe we represent the actual reality of NZ that most young couples, young families and families in general face today.

Last edited by davros1984; Sep 29th 2013 at 12:01 am.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 1:07 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Well after living through 6xmajor earthquakes in the Christchurch region recently, I no longer have the "won't happen here" mentality. So Yes I would definitely give in to the "melodrama volcano stuff", but hey each to their own.
A good website is www.geonet.co.nz to keep track of quakes and volcanoes in the nz region

Last edited by shocked kiwi; Sep 29th 2013 at 1:14 am.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Davros!!!! I'll send you a pm tomorrow.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Davros!!!! I'll send you a pm tomorrow.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
Well after living through 6xmajor earthquakes in the Christchurch region recently, I no longer have the "won't happen here" mentality. So Yes I would definitely give in to the "melodrama volcano stuff", but hey each to their own.
A good website is www.geonet.co.nz to keep track of quakes and volcanoes in the nz region
It's written for Auckland. We know you guys have had a shit time. But there is a difference between an earthquake and a volcano.
Old Sep 29th 2013, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Seeing as though I was not able to respond to bellasmum's comments on the other thread, I shall do it here as that was blatantly a statement of intent.

I agree with the comment about my comment on driving, that was meant as a wind-up.
However...
She said:

"By the way you were given some sound advice about good areas more in your price range, have you given them any thought?
I suspect not.
"

For your information, today I spent 3-4 hours down in Pukekohe. I also visited Patumahoe and Waikuku. I will completely admit that I was pleasantly surprised - I could live there. I hope now you have gone and eaten your own words and realised how stupid your comment was.

It took approximately 45 minutes to get there from the central city (which is ok for me). However.... the claims that the new houses are affordable there... again, highly debatable. You live quite a way out of the city and in Patumahoe, the houses there start from $585,000 (even though they advertise them starting from $429,000). That is clearly way above first home buyer territory.

Waiuku however did have a couple under 500K, but you are quite a way from the city there and you've had to live with an hour commute each way in good commute times (let alone rush hour).

There are other 3-bed properties though for sale around the 400K mark that tempt me, but it is quite a commute out. As I said above, if and when the train service gets better - it would be a good option.

After seeing a good majority of the houses there, it makes me realise how stupid people are for paying such money for generally inferior houses (wood and tin rooves) on the shore, out west and the central city.

MarbleP - looking forward to your PM and again, thanks for the recommendations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.