Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Old Oct 30th 2013, 3:38 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

It's been interesting reading this thread. Replace "Auckland" with "Vancouver" or "Toronto" or "Melbourne" or "Perth" or "Sydney" and the issues are the same. I really don't think this is an Auckland issue or even an NZ issue - this is an issue in a lot of Pac-Rim western cities.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
It's been interesting reading this thread. Replace "Auckland" with "Vancouver" or "Toronto" or "Melbourne" or "Perth" or "Sydney" and the issues are the same. I really don't think this is an Auckland issue or even an NZ issue - this is an issue in a lot of Pac-Rim western cities.
Then why did I find a piece here (can't be bothered looking) that showed that even by importing materials from California you could build a cheaper house than by using local materials! Is Toronto now on the Pacific Coast? Just thinking... that what characterises these cities is that people move in to these places (make a quick buck) and then move out. I remember reading some statistics stating that NZ'rs move on an average every 3 years...
Old Oct 30th 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Good luck with your move back!
Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
It will all work out in the end Davros. You've relocated once and you can do it again. Remember its a step forward!
Thanks to both of you above, you are right - totally a step forward. Wheels already in motion, trying to sell lots of stuff early! Looks like we are flying back in April or May. Will be moving to either the North Somerset area or North Yorkshire area.

Originally Posted by sr71
I agree with you, the UK market certainly isn't ideal, however in comparison to where we live in NZ - it provides with a lot of options in our price range. Additionally, there are multiple cities and areas in which I can get work in my field of work. If I were to look at Leeds, Manchester, Bristol, Nottingham, Derby, Southampton, Portsmouth, Exeter and search for 3-bed houses within 20 miles there are loads even in the 150K GBP region.

Trying to achieve that in Auckland just isn't going to happen, hence for me and my partner - its a no-brainer.
Old Oct 30th 2013, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

What are you selling? <nosey>
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

So I saw this on the Herald site today, what a grim grim picture indeed:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/residentia...ectid=11146480

I went down to Belmont yesterday (where this series of the Block was filmed) and had a quick look at the houses that sold for 1million+!!! There were quite a few people there looking, some thought that they were great value for money and amazingly modern houses. Here is another example that indicates the above: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/residentia...ectid=11149078
I guess it shows that the UK and NZ are worlds apart in terms of "modern" and "quality" (brick/double glazing/insulation/structurally sound). They were paying $1500-2000 for basic wooden tables, the sort of table you can buy in Argos or Ikea for less than 200 quid.

I was totally staggered. They are on a small section, all overlooked and are right on the main road between Devonport and Takapuna. They were classic white-painted (and a bit of cream in spots) wooden houses with very old-fashioned wooden single-glazed windows. And yes, my favourite - the tin roof.

I hope now the message is sinking into the average joe's head - Auckland is no longer a viable option unless you are very cashed up (you'd need a 200K NZD deposit to buy one of those 3-bed houses!)

Last edited by davros1984; Nov 3rd 2013 at 7:26 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davros1984
So I saw this on the Herald site today, what a grim grim picture indeed:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/residentia...ectid=11146480

I went down to Belmont yesterday (where this series of the Block was filmed) and had a quick look at the houses that sold for 1million+!!! There were quite a few people there looking, some thought that they were great value for money and amazingly modern houses. Here is another example that indicates the above: http://www.nzherald.co.nz/residentia...ectid=11149078
I guess it shows that the UK and NZ are worlds apart in terms of "modern" and "quality" (brick/double glazing/insulation/structurally sound). They were paying $1500-2000 for basic wooden tables, the sort of table you can buy in Argos or Ikea for less than 200 quid.

I was totally staggered. They are on a small section, all overlooked and are right on the main road between Devonport and Takapuna. They were classic white-painted (and a bit of cream in spots) wooden houses with very old-fashioned wooden single-glazed windows. And yes, my favourite - the tin roof.

I hope now the message is sinking into the average joe's head - Auckland is no longer a viable option unless you are very cashed up (you'd need a 200K NZD deposit to buy one of those 3-bed houses!)
Someone like this

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=11149724
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westie1234
Classic.
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Again from an outsider looking in (currently), is the whole Auckland house price thing a supply and demand spiral. Those who were thinking about , lets say London, for example, house prices a decade or two ago " who'd be stupid enough to buy at these silly prices...bloody ridiculous, what a rip off" .. are they kicking themselves now..?
poss devils advocate thought process? but does beg the question....
Old Nov 3rd 2013, 11:19 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I have had numerous conversations with people about the "bubble bursting" and there seems to be no concern. People think that as long as there is a demand for properties, then there will be no problems. It can't go on forever. When the market does slow down and eventually house prices drop, all of the ones who paid excess amounts for their properties will be hit very hard. Even a rise in interest rates will eventually happen. I would never wish horrible things for those people but it will happen wether it is now or 5 years time... What's the alternative.... Paying $2, $3 or even $4 million for a wooden house?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Paying $2, $3 or even $4 million for a wooden house?
Another interesting point is that you you wouldn't even get a mortgage on the majority of the wooden houses you find here due to the build quality reasons.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Another interesting point is that you you wouldn't even get a mortgage on the majority of the wooden houses you find here due to the build quality reasons.
Wooden houses will be the safest houses in a big earth quake Davros.

I live in a brick single storey but I wouldn't live in a double storey in Auckland.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

i have a 1911 villa, all wood, far more solid and sturdy than the brand new house I bought 5 years ago when I first got here
Old Nov 4th 2013, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I live in a brick single storey but I wouldn't live in a double storey in Auckland.
can I ask why not ??
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Wooden houses will be the safest houses in a big earth quake Davros.

Have you thought about living in a shipping container or even a tent?
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:28 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I must be odd. I think quake . I think shards of pointy glass breaking. Trees. Work place. Power lines. Roads buckling. Heavy furniture. Jagged tin roof parts.

I think wood houses , I think fair play to NZ as there were no brick works for houses .

Didn't stop the place from using stone for 'buildings of note' though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.