Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Old Oct 11th 2013, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof Kiwi rip-off housing!

Originally Posted by BEVS
JustCol is a sweetie even though he pretends he is not.
I thought she was a girl ie Colleen
Old Oct 11th 2013, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Justcol
Its just as you imagine it, Gods waiting room.
Its not part of the city and feels totally detached from it. Its not even close or handy for the city.
I moved there when I first went to Aux and as it was all new to me at the time it seemed ok, but time passed and
I soon began to feel detached from everything. It wouldn't have been so bad if there was some kind of community feel
but there is nothing.
A commute will take you over an hour in rush hour with the traffic coming to a standstill from Greville road onward.
I quite fancied it when I was in Aux but the realty is completely different. there is NOTHING there. Really really NOTHING.
Silverdale is a new development and is very sterile (think stepford wives crossed with Pleasantville).
Whangaparaoa is nothing more than a big Wharehouse and countdown, Gulf harbour is the most soulless place I have ever lived,
Orewa is old folks central but has a nice beach. Cant find much good to say about the place really
I must agree with the above. Sterile is also the word I would use to describe Orewa, Silverdale and those areas up there. They lack that buzz which gives a place interest. They are the places you go for a coffee on a Sunday then say, 'Thank God, I'm not living here! It all depends what your own expectations and experiences are.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 9:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitesand
I must agree with the above. Sterile is also the word I would use to describe Orewa, Silverdale and those areas up there. They lack that buzz which gives a place interest. They are the places you go for a coffee on a Sunday then say, 'Thank God, I'm not living here! It all depends what your own expectations and experiences are.
And God forbid

In the $500k price range & over a $million, is it it value for money to live there even if you are old?

http://www.realestate.co.nz/resident...d/rodney/orewa
Old Oct 11th 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Yes, it's unbelievable what they can charge, even up there. I think it is because they know that oldies are selling their houses and moving there and that they will have the cash available. In Milford they have those horrible retirement flats on the main road next to the bus station with all the traffic pollution and they are still around the 600-700K mark.

The greed of the property prices here in Auckland reflects how disconnected the city has become in relation to the rest of the world. The housing market here is absurdly out of balance.
Old Oct 11th 2013, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it's unbelievable what they can charge, even up there. I think it is because they know that oldies are selling their houses and moving there and that they will have the cash available. In Milford they have those horrible retirement flats on the main road next to the bus station with all the traffic pollution and they are still around the 600-700K mark.

The greed of the property prices here in Auckland reflects how disconnected the city has become in relation to the rest of the world. The housing market here is absurdly out of balance.
It is, even if I won some money I would not buy in Auckland until there is a correction as houses are way overvalued - this 1-brm damp thing in ponsonby cv 220k sold the other day for $470k .
Old Oct 11th 2013, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

So not only have I got no soul, I'm sterile too . It just goes from bad to worse for me
Old Oct 12th 2013, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Engel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really nice

It is very hard to compare UK and NZ unless you compare similar places. Auckland maybe expensive, but so is London. You can get a 1 bedroom flat in Auckland for under $300000 but you would struggle to get that in London.
I rent out my 4 bedroom town house in the UK and can only afford a room in a student-like shared house in Albany.
However, if I where to move 30 minutes further out I could get a two berdoom house with garage for the same price. You just have to put a value on your travel time.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engel
It is very hard to compare UK and NZ unless you compare similar places. Auckland maybe expensive, but so is London. You can get a 1 bedroom flat in Auckland for under $300000 but you would struggle to get that in London.
I rent out my 4 bedroom town house in the UK and can only afford a room in a student-like shared house in Albany.
However, if I where to move 30 minutes further out I could get a two berdoom house with garage for the same price. You just have to put a value on your travel time.
You can't compare Auckland and London.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
So not only have I got no soul, I'm sterile too . It just goes from bad to worse for me
I distinctly remember Orewa being very buzzing for us on the way to Waiwera.
Old Oct 12th 2013, 10:12 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
You only have to glance at the housing problem to see the Resource Management Act is stifling quality, affordable housing.

on affordable & on the basis one is retired, does anyone know of any decent & safe places to live in NZ that have the lowest prices for houses, apartments, beach huts ... anyone?
Old Oct 12th 2013, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by not2old
on affordable & on the basis one is retired, does anyone know of any decent & safe places to live in NZ that have the lowest prices for houses, apartments, beach huts ... anyone?
Not sure of budget but would look at Nelson first if that is to expensive some where in Marlborough.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engel
Have to disagree with the above. Can buy a 1-bed flat for less than 300K NZD in London within a 30 minute commute of central London. Know a handful of people who have done this as well.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Interesting Location Location Location tonight, amazing what people will pay for shoeboxes that are that close to London! And I thought it was cheap as chips over there....well that's what we are led to believe....
Woodlea - I watched that as well. The young couple (first time buyers) were able to buy a 3-bed house for 230K GBP. They bought it in a place that is within 20 miles or 30K of central London. To give you an idea, that is the SAME distance as Orewa.

The cheapest 3-bed house in Orewa is 489,000 NZD:
http://www.realestate.co.nz/2109494

That's still 30K NZD OVER the price they paid on the place in the UK. Also there they can get a TRAIN (yes a train) into the city.

Alternatively, for the same money you could buy this 3-bed apartment, but again without a garden, zero double glazing and probably little insulation (if any). http://www.realestate.co.nz/2102892

I expect London to be expensive, there are over 8 million people there, 20+ million people commute into London as well. At the same time, the job choice is massive, there are so many things going on in London - so you would expect to pay a premium. If and when Auckland ever gets those above stats, then I can understand the price of houses in Auckland.

Whitesand - I laugh at those places in Milford by the hospital every single time I drive past them. The advertising they do for them (how its perfect and luxury).. cringe-worthy. Completely agree with you and your disconnection.

The decision has been made and we are going home next year to be able to buy a house in an area where there are a good number of job opportunities that I can gain employment.
Put simply, we are getting over holiday mode and wish to "get on" with our lives and make something for ourselves. We are tired of the hopelessness we feel when it comes to trying to do any of that normal stuff here in NZ. As the phrase is coined - "You can't eat scenery". I will still post from time to time in the NZ forum, but regardless, disagree or agree with me now or in the past - thank you for aiding me with making a decision and working out what's next.

With regard to lilacorange's post, I thank you for your comments. They are valid and seem very well thought out. Your words resonate with me a lot. When I write down lists on paper though, once I get over the weather and avoid some of the crime rates in certain parts of the UK, it really is a no-brainer, here's a few reasons as to why:

* More job opportunities
* Cheaper cost of living, be it cars, houses, food, clothing, broadband and so on
* Cheaper holidays, great places in the UK to visit as well as Europe on your doorstep (how about a 7-night ski holiday in Austria at a luxury ski lodge + flights for 299 GBP inclusive!!!)
* Closer to family
* Choice of food, events, gigs, festivals, sporting occasions
* More time off work
* Infrastructure, particularly public transport and options.

Last edited by davros1984; Oct 13th 2013 at 2:51 am.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Woodlea - I watched that as well. The young couple (first time buyers) were able to buy a 3-bed house for 230K GBP. They bought it in a place that is within 20 miles or 30K of central London. To give you an idea, that is the SAME distance as Orewa.

The cheapest 3-bed house in Orewa is 489,000 NZD:
http://www.realestate.co.nz/2109494

That's still 30K NZD OVER the price they paid on the place in the UK. Also there they can get a TRAIN (yes a train) into the city.

Alternatively, for the same money you could buy this 3-bed apartment, but again without a garden, zero double glazing and probably little insulation (if any). http://www.realestate.co.nz/2102892

I expect London to be expensive, there are over 8 million people there, 20+ million people commute into London as well. At the same time, the job choice is massive, there are so many things going on in London - so you would expect to pay a premium. If and when Auckland ever gets those above stats, then I can understand the price of houses in Auckland.

Whitesand - I laugh at those places in Milford by the hospital every single time I drive past them. The advertising they do for them (how its perfect and luxury).. cringe-worthy. Completely agree with you and your disconnection.

The decision has been made and we are going home next year to be able to buy a house in an area where there are a good number of job opportunities that I can gain employment.
Put simply, we are getting over holiday mode and wish to "get on" with our lives and make something for ourselves. We are tired of the hopelessness we feel when it comes to trying to do any of that normal stuff here in NZ. As the phrase is coined - "You can't eat scenery". I will still post from time to time in the NZ forum, but regardless, disagree or agree with me now or in the past - thank you for aiding me with making a decision and working out what's next.

With regard to lilacorange's post, I thank you for your comments. They are valid and seem very well thought out. Your words resonate with me a lot. When I write down lists on paper though, once I get over the weather and avoid some of the crime rates in certain parts of the UK, it really is a no-brainer, here's a few reasons as to why:

* More job opportunities
* Cheaper cost of living, be it cars, houses, food, clothing, broadband and so on
* Cheaper holidays, great places in the UK to visit as well as Europe on your doorstep (how about a 7-night ski holiday in Austria at a luxury ski lodge + flights for 299 GBP inclusive!!!)
* Closer to family
* Choice of food, events, gigs, festivals, sporting occasions
* More time off work
* Infrastructure, particularly public transport and options.

Really sorry to hear you're leaving Davros, but fully understand the need to do what's right for you. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time here. I enjoy your input to this forum. As a bonus - you'll have 2 summers in a row. Always a good thing.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

carpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant futurecarpman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by westie1234
Not sure of budget but would look at Nelson first if that is to expensive some where in Marlborough.

I recently read this interesting article about Nelson house prices...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/n...es-cost-a-bomb

Houses seem to be selling really quickly around here too even at prices that make me go

Mrs C

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.