British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Proof of De Facto (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/proof-de-facto-404395/)

MiniMad Oct 26th 2006 1:02 pm

Proof of De Facto

Dear All

Having received our ITA at the weekend Im having a wee problem in that I cannot officially prove our de facto relationship.

We sold our house in the summer and naturally, I went through the process of shredding everything that was unimportant.

I now have no evidence of joint bills etc and we have separate bank accounts so thats not going to help either.

The only thing I do have is my engagement ring and our 2 children!

Help!

MiniMad

dreamfish Oct 26th 2006 4:06 pm

Re: Proof of De Facto

Originally Posted by MiniMad
Dear All

Having received our ITA at the weekend Im having a wee problem in that I cannot officially prove our de facto relationship.

We sold our house in the summer and naturally, I went through the process of shredding everything that was unimportant.

I now have no evidence of joint bills etc and we have separate bank accounts so thats not going to help either.

Help!

MiniMad

I am in the situation where i pay all the bills, our names are on joint mortgage, and he destroys everything!!

I have dug out photos going right back to our courting days (and depending where your photos are printed they have the date on the reverse). Also found congratulations cards to the babies (Dear Kate and Lee on the birth of number one) etc. Erm... cards to each other? Valentines, birthdays? Receipts for engagement ring? Insurance cover? Additional drivers on motor insurance? statements from friends, families and neighbours. Schools/Playgroups

Maybe you can contact the utility firms and ask them to drop you a letter confirming they wrote to both of you at your old address>?

Am Loolah Oct 26th 2006 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by MiniMad
Dear All

Help!

MiniMad

Is his name on the kids' birth certificates? That should suffice. Failing that would your solicitor have any documentation from the sale of the house on file?Your names should be on the land registry of the old house as having sold it to the new owners?

dreamfish Oct 26th 2006 8:28 pm

thing is a mortgage agreement alone isnt evidence enough - he could be your brother! (I hear they can be that pedantic!)

Kerry & Dirk Oct 26th 2006 8:53 pm

Hi Minimad

My partner and I obtained itemised mobile phone bills (you can ring the company and ask for old bills at a cost) showing we contacted one another. Is it not possible to obtain past records of joint gas/electricity/BT/council tax bills from your old suppliers, it might cost but would be worth contacting them. I am sure they will still have your information on record.

We too have separate bank accounts however we have done some money transfers between the bank accounts which we used as proof too. Also pictures of yourselves with the children. I know I had to send loads off i.e. proof, but I do have a habit of keeping things too long!!! :)

All the best

Kerry

taffinkent Oct 26th 2006 9:00 pm

Hi,

When we completed our ITA we provided the following De Facto evidence:

joint addressed letters ( eg solicitor )
joint bills
joint bank statements
joint mortgage statements
photos ( some have dates on the back / also different hair styles / sizes!)
birthday / Xmas cards / Valentine addressed to both ( dated envelopes help )

Hope this helps,

Taff :)