Reload this Page >

IT Professional wanting to visit NZ on Work Holiday

IT Professional wanting to visit NZ on Work Holiday

Old Jul 12th 2016, 4:50 am
Just Joined

briggs0102 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Professional wanting to visit NZ on Work Holiday

Hi All

I'm wondering if anyone can help - I'm a 26 year old IT Professional (Security/Networking/Helpdesk) and I'm interested in moving to NZ on the working holiday. I'm currently in AU on a work holiday but my visa is coming to an end. I've been working in IT for 8 years and have some certs including CCNA/CCNA:Security.

Can anyone help with the following:

Do I have full rights to work as an IT contractor in NZ, the same as I do in AU?

What is the IT job market like in NZ, where would be the best location to relocate IT wise?

How long would I have to wait before gaining an IT role on average, has anyone else moved over on a work holiday working in IT?

Thanks in advance everyone

Admins/Mods - Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I couldn't find a similar related forum.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Professional wanting to visit NZ on Work Holiday

Don't see why not but there may well be different conditions between the working holiday visa you are on now in AU and the NZ version. Please check the conditions on the INZ website.

Job market in IT in NZ is good but you'll be more or less limited to the big centres so Auckland, Wellington, Hamilton, Christchurch, Tauranga.
No idea but you cannot apply for, accept, or work in a permanent position on a WHV in NZ. Assuming you'll be applying for a UK one you can only work for a total of 12 months even if you go for the 23 month version.
Old Jul 12th 2016, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Used to be for the 23 month version you needed a medical upfront and as said previously you can only work for 12 out of the 23 months in non permanent roles but at least no farm work to get 23 months as per AU. Most people I believe go straight for 23 months to avoid the hassle applying for the 12 to 23 extension.
Old Jul 13th 2016, 6:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm happy staying in a big City & 12 months is a decent amount of time to work over a 23 month period for me. I don't really want to go back to England so I'm happy with the NZ WHV terms.
Old Jul 16th 2016, 4:11 am
Just Joined

kiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond reputekiwiwtsda has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
My husband came over with me on a working holiday visa (he is in IT) back in those days it was only a 12 months visa but he ended up being offered a full time role from his temp job and gained residency. He was offered full time permanent within the space of a few months. I know my husband had to go back a few steps in terms of his position,he took a help desk role but he quickly worked his way back up to the level he was at prior to leaving the UK. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 5:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kiwiwtsda
Hi,
My husband came over with me on a working holiday visa (he is in IT) back in those days it was only a 12 months visa but he ended up being offered a full time role from his temp job and gained residency. He was offered full time permanent within the space of a few months. I know my husband had to go back a few steps in terms of his position,he took a help desk role but he quickly worked his way back up to the level he was at prior to leaving the UK. Hope this helps. Good luck.
That's great news, well done to you and your husband. I was hoping to do a similar thing in Oz but didn't have much luck. Hopefully I will be able to repeat what your husband did in NZ.

Thank you
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 6:39 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you do have to an onward ticket or money to cover an onward ticket and you also need a minimum of $350.00 for every month you intend to stay to qualify