Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Problems teaching Phonics in NZ!

Problems teaching Phonics in NZ!

Old Feb 4th 2010, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Problems teaching Phonics in NZ!

I was doing an exercise in a class of 6 year olds today cutting out words that began with 's'.

I asked one boy to read the word 'said'. He responded "sid" in an NZ accent, then told me that it was odd because there's a character in the film Ice Age called 'said' so why did they call a character 'said' when it's not a name?

I think it's going to be hard teaching phonics here!
Old Feb 4th 2010, 6:18 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Problems teaching Phonics in NZ!

hehe... my Ma (a languages teacher, who has also taught junior phonics, though a long time ago) has been here 2 weeks now, and is REALLY struggling with what people are saying to her! i'm constantly having to interpret for her as she stands there looking like a rabbit caught in the headlights! bless
Old Feb 4th 2010, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MOSO
I was doing an exercise in a class of 6 year olds today cutting out words that began with 's'.

I asked one boy to read the word 'said'. He responded "sid" in an NZ accent, then told me that it was odd because there's a character in the film Ice Age called 'said' so why did they call a character 'said' when it's not a name?

Sounds like you have a real task on your hands there! Good luck
Old Feb 4th 2010, 6:35 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MOSO

I am dreading this (if I get work) going to be a whole lot of fun trying to work with kids & phonics......

Dewb
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:47 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

My wife can tell what word the kids have learned from here because they say just those word in a Yorkshire accent
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:49 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
My wife can tell what word the kids have learned from here because they say just those word in a Yorkshire accent
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

We went through more 's' words today - I played the memory game each child had to remember the word beginning with s that the previous children had said (or sid) plus their own. 'Sick' said child no. 5 in the group. Yes okay I said, we could have sick, but maybe something nicer? No he said 'sick' like Father Christmas' 'sick'!!!!!

Roll on Monday for yet another lesson - letter of next week is 'a' - I wonder what gems they'll come up with........
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Can't for the life of me remember where I read this, but I used it in one of my early newsletters back to family and friends when trying to describe the accent.

" Learn to pronounce A as E, E as I and I as U.
Try it out and see how it rolls flatly off the tongue
Pan = pen Pen = pin Pin = pun Pear = peer "
Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:49 am
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

I suppose this means that my 5 year old will indeed speak with the lilt....
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:47 am
Scorchy legs

Originally Posted by BEVS
Can't for the life of me remember where I read this, but I used it in one of my early newsletters back to family and friends when trying to describe the accent.

" Learn to pronounce A as E, E as I and I as U.
Try it out and see how it rolls flatly off the tongue
Pan = pen Pen = pin Pin = pun Pear = peer "
Nice one

Dewb x
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Yes gags.........kids pick up the accent really quick. Mine were 9 and 7 when we arrived here and it wasn't long at all, once they'd started their new school, that they were sounding like kiwis. My husband and I accused them of 'putting it on' at first. I think, because of this, I became more aware of my own accent and started to sound even more as if I'd just come over from Albert Square!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 2:58 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Time to roll this old chestnut out again methinks?!

And this has been doing the BE rounds for ages, but some more recent members may enjoy.

How to Speak New Zulander
(for bist effict, rid these out aloud)

Milburn - capital of Victoria
Peck - to fill a suitcase
pissed aside - chemical which kills insects
pigs - for hanging out washing with
pug - large pink animal with a curly tail
nin tin dough - computer game
munnwe stroney - soup
min- male of the species
mess kara - eye makeup
mcKennock - person who fixes cars
Mere - Mayor
leather - foam produced from soap
lift - departed
Kiri Pecker - famous Australian businessman
kittle crusps - potato chips
Ken's - Cairns
jungle bills - Christmas carol
inner me - enemy
guess - vapour
fush - marine creature
fitter cheney - type of pasta
ever cardeau - avocado
fear hear - blonde
ear - mix of nitrogen and oxygen
ear roebucks - exercise at gym
duffy cult - not easy
amejen - visualise
chuck - very young poultry
bug hut - popular recording
bun button - been bitten by insect
beard - a place to sleep
sucks peck - half a dozen beers
Ear New Zulland - an extinct airline
beers - large savage animals found in U.S. forests
veerjun - mythical New Zealand maiden
one doze - well known computer program
brudge - structure spanning a stream
sex - one less then sivven
tin - one more then nine
iggs ecktly - precisely
cuds - children
cuttin - baby cat
sivven sucks sivven - large Boeing aircraft
sivven four sivven - larger Boeing aircraft
earplane - large flying marchine
beggage chucken - place to leave your suitcase at the earport
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

This is fab - and oh so true
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:56 pm
Scorchy legs

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Time to roll this old chestnut out again methinks?!

And this has been doing the BE rounds for ages, but some more recent members may enjoy.

How to Speak New Zulander
(for bist effict, rid these out aloud)
thanks Am loo, hubster looking at me like I am insane shouting out random words

Dewb
Old Feb 7th 2010, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

That is so funny!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.