Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Probably the mos stunning motorbike rides I have ever done

Probably the mos stunning motorbike rides I have ever done

Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Probably the mos stunning motorbike rides I have ever done

and I have done more than a few round Europe!!!!

We rode 1830km in 5 days, from ChCh to Kaikoura, Blenheim, through Nelson, Greymouth, Wanaker, Oamoru then home to ChCh.

This is the first pic - I will put more up soon. This is the top of the Crown Range Road between Queenstown and Wanaker. Of course I had to pose the bikes

More soon when I have downloaded the camera pics - the roads were interesting, with a few unexpected Kiwi challenges thrown in. Mostly reminded me of the Swiss Alps but slightly worse surfaces, and more crazy camper van drivers, definitely

Jan

Ps scuse the typo in the title, stiff after getting back today, brain not working
Attached Thumbnails Probably the mos stunning motorbike rides I have ever done-bikes-cardona-pass.jpg  
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:28 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Probably the mos stunning motorbike rides I have ever done

Sounds great!
I've always liked that view from the Crown Ranges, last time we went it was snowy and looked amazing
Looking forward to more pics.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:35 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Blue skies and bikes......a rare combination and one we are looking forward to!
Excellent....when youv'e managed to 'uncoil' we await the next batch of photos......
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Blue skies and bikes......a rare combination and one we are looking forward to!
Excellent....when youv'e managed to 'uncoil' we await the next batch of photos......
one more from my phone - more later
J
Attached Thumbnails Probably the mos stunning motorbike rides I have ever done-my-bike-neil-his-west-coast-north-greymouth.jpg  
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Persephone
Sounds great!
I've always liked that view from the Crown Ranges, last time we went it was snowy and looked amazing
Looking forward to more pics.
I was not keen on the Queenstown side of the pass - too many U-turns and sheer drops for my liking, on a bike

Then one of our party told us he "accidentally" took an articulated truck up there, not realising the type of road it was.

He was also the rider that fell down an embankment at some traffic lights at roadworks on this trip, so I guess his driving record isn't the best. The Stop-Go guy was laughing so much he didn't even help him up out of the bushes

For our UK friends, a google images view of the bit I did not enjoy
Attached Thumbnails Probably the mos stunning motorbike rides I have ever done-crown_range.jpg  
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:10 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

At least we were in a car though it was a bit hair raising in the ice. Mr S is generally quite careful but occasionally, just occasionally his inner Kiwi-driver takes over
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

stephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of lightstephen60 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
one more from my phone - more later
J
Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. The west coast water looks a lot more inviting than the grey water off ChCh. were you tempted to take a dip?
Dogs pleased to see you?
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

How'd you find touring on the Gixxer??
I can manage around 300km on my zx9 before numb bum and stiff neck set in
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:26 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Double bubble Col. Or can't you get effective speeds for it.
The XJR has no such luxuries, but I've got two necks to fight the stiffness!
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Double bubble Col. Or can't you get effective speeds for it.
Oi... cheeky
zx9r might be older but it still cracks along.
Am currently trying to convince my bank manager that my life isn't complete without an Aprilia RSV4

looking forward to more pics of your tour