Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

private number plate

private number plate

Old Nov 18th 2010, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold
Default private number plate

Advice please.....

we want to export our classic car (well, I don't but that's another story!!) and it has a private plate on at the moment.

What's the easiest and cheapest way and timescale of selling the private plate, as I presume we can't use it in NZ.

Do we sell here, re-register the car in UK then export and do the NZ stuff?

Do we export as it is then sell the plate from NZ to the UK?

Do we sell the plate and export plate-less (if able to legally)?

Thanks guys for your input
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: private number plate

we had a cheap plate on Jans car in the UK we just bunged it on E Bay, the good news is that they are dirt cheap here as nobody is really interested in them

www.plates.co.nz

Neil
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

My grandson bought one dirt cheap. It was RU 16. I wonder why?

Sold it again now.

June
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4pommes
Advice please.....

we want to export our classic car (well, I don't but that's another story!!) and it has a private plate on at the moment.

What's the easiest and cheapest way and timescale of selling the private plate, as I presume we can't use it in NZ.

I would imagine you will not need a plate. All import from Japan (the 2nd hand ones) come here with no plates..or the new ones for that matter!!!!! What would be the use of a plate from another country?? What is important on your car is the VIN/chassis numbers..those types of things that stay with the motor all its life. You can simply sell your plate in the papers you don't need to be there and you can sell it either privately or thru' a dealer who buys and sells them. Just check with the co. you are exporting with that my advice above is right before you do ought!! When the car gets here it will have to go thru lots of hoops/ inspections and it will finally be given a WoF (thats an MoT), a registration document and a set of plates. You can chose your own if you like as some one has pointed out above..maybe a plate that befits the era of your car. If I imported a TR6 I would have a plate made up that was a uk one that fitted its age. For instance if it was a '69 I would have something like ALB 14G. A UK plate of the same year as my car. I reckon that would look cool! You can have almost anything (so long as no one else has it) and you can have a max of 6 characters (and a minimum of 1) alpha or numeric in any random way you like. We have a 'SHYTE' in town (very cool) and another 'IMHUNG'..I thought 'what a wanker' until I found out he does curtains for a living!!!!!!!!! If you don't chose your own you will be given a random plate configured with three alphas followed by 3 numerics. Like ARL 578. All NZ plates for the general public are white plates made of aluminium and with pressed black characters. These plates always remain the property of NZ transport incidentaly. We are allowed to borrow them!!!

Last edited by Genesis; Nov 18th 2010 at 9:46 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 2:19 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4pommes
Advice please.....

You will need to remove the UK plate from the car to sell it prior to export. DVLC will issue a new (date appropriate plate OR the cars previous plate) one to it which you will have to use for the export part of the process. NZ import DO require the original V5 which of course must state a plate. All this WILL complicate the ownership paperwork so make sure you have the original docs (receipt etc) tied all the way through by VIN etc otherwise you will lose the immigrants exception on GST and compliance with emissions and safety standards.

Talk to the compliance centre you will be using and they will advise in detail, I used North Shore Compliance, pm me if you need the details but they show up on google IIRC. They deal with classics and oddities all the time, some centres deal in high volume with more modern jap imports.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold4pommes is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies....have emailed a couple of compliance centres to see what they say.

Presume it has to have a plate on to benefit from the new resident taxes etc.?