British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Prison Staff Here we go again LOL (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/prison-staff-here-we-go-again-lol-373317/)

MV5555 May 13th 2006 5:53 pm

Prison Staff Here we go again LOL

Well the time is almost upon me, Ive attended all the leaving bashes been stripped naked in the prison sports hall, got dragged to a family surprise party last night. Loads of tears ect ect I'm sure you know the format.

Monday sign on the dotted line to release the house on Friday, Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday packers in, Officialy homeless Friday so slumming it over the weekend at friends.

Fly out Monday with alot of fears, will we be fine will we be able to afford it will this will that. After reading alot of negative posts i think thats a natural feeling to have, but as i am quite a positive person i hope that in time me and my family will be able to over come some difficulties.
I,m certainly not going to NZ with some great rose tinted glasses and im certainly not going with a bucket full of money. I expect a full blown culture shock.

My intentions are to give a full open and honest assessment of my experiences with regards to helping other prison staff taking the plunge. I may be brutialy honest sometimes, but one thing you can be assured of and people who know me know i remain positive and with endevure to make a new life for me and my family work.

I quick shout out to Nigel and his family i hope you are all well and are coping ok. Lenny i been reading you posts with great interest and i know how much you want your new life to work , hang in there.... :o

My family are coming out with me for only a short time they are returning to the UK so the kids can finish the school year and OH can tie up loose ends they will rejoin me mid August when i return to Hamilton after training in Wellington. Anyone wanting to meet for a drink with a down to earth Yorkshire lad your more than welcome to grab me and i will jump at the chance of a beer

Well thats it for now i might post again b4 i fly but if not i will try to update this thread a couple of times a week :)

Mark

annaerb May 13th 2006 9:36 pm

Re: Prison Staff Here we go again LOL

All the best Mark, Hope all goes well with your new life down under.
Look forward to reading your posts.

MV5555 May 13th 2006 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by annaerb
All the best Mark, Hope all goes well with your new life down under.
Look forward to reading your posts.

thanx annaerb its all a bit :scared:

livewire May 14th 2006 12:19 am

Good luck, a positive attitude can make such a difference so you're off to a good start already. Really hope it works out for you.

Pinkie Pie May 14th 2006 1:16 am

From a Yorkshire lass to a Yorkshire lad...all the very very best of luck to you mate..hope you have a blast...and let us know how you get on:D

love
Pinkie
xx

K9s May 14th 2006 1:49 am

From one good screw to another :p all the very best wishes and good luck.......you'll need it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You fly out on Monday and I return good luck at the prison college it's grim and so boring you will be eating your own lip but it's only for 6 weeks
I really hope NZ is for you because I would not wish what we are going through on anybody, to return to the UK with nothing and having lost jobs, cars, money e.t.c is not much fun

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

K9

Joshlin May 14th 2006 1:53 am

would echo livewire's words- attitude is a huge thing to bring with you. if it's positive and you are willing to embrace change( as you sound like you are ) you'll be ok. :)

good luck to you and your family, look forward to hearing your updates.

K9s May 14th 2006 2:32 am

Your think it's great anyway because your from the grim north :D

K9

Delsonk9 May 14th 2006 7:05 am

Originally Posted by MV5555
Well the time is almost upon me, Ive attended all the leaving bashes been stripped naked in the prison sports hall, got dragged to a family surprise party last night. Loads of tears ect ect I'm sure you know the format.

Monday sign on the dotted line to release the house on Friday, Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday packers in, Officialy homeless Friday so slumming it over the weekend at friends.

Fly out Monday with alot of fears, will we be fine will we be able to afford it will this will that. After reading alot of negative posts i think thats a natural feeling to have, but as i am quite a positive person i hope that in time me and my family will be able to over come some difficulties.
I,m certainly not going to NZ with some great rose tinted glasses and im certainly not going with a bucket full of money. I expect a full blown culture shock.

My intentions are to give a full open and honest assessment of my experiences with regards to helping other prison staff taking the plunge. I may be brutialy honest sometimes, but one thing you can be assured of and people who know me know i remain positive and with endevure to make a new life for me and my family work.

I quick shout out to Nigel and his family i hope you are all well and are coping ok. Lenny i been reading you posts with great interest and i know how much you want your new life to work , hang in there.... :o

My family are coming out with me for only a short time they are returning to the UK so the kids can finish the school year and OH can tie up loose ends they will rejoin me mid August when i return to Hamilton after training in Wellington. Anyone wanting to meet for a drink with a down to earth Yorkshire lad your more than welcome to grab me and i will jump at the chance of a beer

Well thats it for now i might post again b4 i fly but if not i will try to update this thread a couple of times a week :)

Mark

Good luck Mark, and thanks for all your help, Del

sky May 14th 2006 7:26 am

Best of luck :)

MV5555 May 14th 2006 7:57 am

Originally Posted by K9s
Your think it's great anyway because your from the grim north :D

K9

lol we got that electricity thingy up here and ma brought home a shiny box that sits int corner that shows pictures of food every fifteen minutes

:D

thanyou all for your kind words and support

Lenny the Lion May 14th 2006 8:56 am

Best of luck to you Mark and your family,
You will have good and bad days just like in the UK but I feel that NZ just has the edge overall. But each to his or her own.
As K9s said, college is boring but he quit after 3 days :scared: so try to stay a bit longer than that and you will stand half a chance of making it in NZ ;) .
The reasons I left the UK for have not changed so why would I want to go back anyway. You will miss loads of things about England ( even Yorkshire and that is saying something, sorry but I once stayed in Rawmarsh near Rotherham and still need therapy ) but there are things over here that are fantastic and I will let you find out what they are.
Dont worry too much about things, enjoy what you are about to do and expect the unexpected. Its a great place to live once you get used to it.
;)

MV5555 May 14th 2006 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Lenny the Lion
Best of luck to you Mark and your family,
You will have good and bad days just like in the UK but I feel that NZ just has the edge overall. But each to his or her own.
As K9s said, college is boring but he quit after 3 days :scared: so try to stay a bit longer than that and you will stand half a chance of making it in NZ ;) .
The reasons I left the UK for have not changed so why would I want to go back anyway. You will miss loads of things about England ( even Yorkshire and that is saying something, sorry but I once stayed in Rawmarsh near Rotherham and still need therapy ) but there are things over here that are fantastic and I will let you find out what they are.
Dont worry too much about things, enjoy what you are about to do and expect the unexpected. Its a great place to live once you get used to it.
;)

Thanx lenny that has given me an encouragment boost that i know i need. Rawmarsh i usually go round rather than through lol im from elsecar nr wentworth if you ever heard of it...........My reasons for leaving the UK ill never change and it will have to drag me through the depths to even consider returning here as for collage head down get on with it cos we all know thats not the job that comes later so that assessment should be on hold till at least after that.
Biggest fear ......Will the locals understand my Yorkie twang lol i have trouble at work at the best of time (Feltham YOI)

Laters to u all

Lenny the Lion May 14th 2006 9:25 am

Originally Posted by MV5555
Thanx lenny that has given me an encouragment boost that i know i need. Rawmarsh i usually go round rather than through lol im from elsecar nr wentworth if you ever heard of it...........My reasons for leaving the UK ill never change and it will have to drag me through the depths to even consider returning here as for collage head down get on with it cos we all know thats not the job that comes later so that assessment should be on hold till at least after that.
Biggest fear ......Will the locals understand my Yorkie twang lol i have trouble at work at the best of time (Feltham YOI)

Laters to u all

Wentworth mmmmmmmmm I remember a nice little boozer near a stately home there...very nice. But and a big but some very nice places over here as well. Anyway I have been to Feltham ( once worked at Wandsworth ) and the jails out here are a bit better than that mad house mate so No Worries!

sky May 14th 2006 9:27 am

The kiwis still have trouble with my accent, Im from Leeds.
I understand them all perfectly but they really have trouble with my accent sometimes.
I gave up going through drive through Mc D's etc cos they just don't understand a word at all lol. Also when I ask for four of something I usually end up with five of it ......... no idea why! the kiwi five must sound like my yorkshire four :confused: