Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:09 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A Prison Officers view of NZ!!

Originally Posted by Den13
Hello again,
I'm back in Wellington after having the time of my life on the South Island. I won't bore you with the details, but the West coast.......

Just met Alex and Anjur (?) the contact bloke. All very enthusiastic and they are looking at help with accommodation on first arrival.

MV5555-He says 'Answer his bl***y e-mail!'

They also want to meet us all for drinks when we get here. I don't think they've been drinking with Prison Officers before........it could get messy.

My brief sojourn into the land of the long white cloud is nearing it's end, just a few more days then back to reality.

I'll be back though......
I've been following your progress - you write so well and with such good humour! I wish you the best and hope you return.

BTW I'm a born and bred West Coaster (Hokitika) - hope the locals treated you well.

Elizabeth
Old Sep 5th 2005, 7:46 am
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
I've been following your progress - you write so well and with such good humour! I wish you the best and hope you return.

BTW I'm a born and bred West Coaster (Hokitika) - hope the locals treated you well.

Elizabeth
I stopped for coffee in Hoki!! Wasn't even out of the car before I was being accosted by someone who works in the Greenstone shop opposite the French cafe - good coffee by the way. Sooooo friendly.;
And how do I repay the good people of Hokitika? I drop 2 German, sorry, 2 GRUMPY German backpackers off there on my way back through - sorry.

Coasters are Great. Great history in your town.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road

Hello again,
I'm back in Wellington after having the time of my life on the South Island. I won't bore you with the details, but the West coast.......

Just met Alex and Anjur (?) the contact bloke. All very enthusiastic and they are looking at help with accommodation on first arrival.

MV5555-He says 'Answer his bl***y e-mail!'

They also want to meet us all for drinks when we get here. I don't think they've been drinking with Prison Officers before........it could get messy.

My brief sojourn into the land of the long white cloud is nearing it's end, just a few more days then back to reality.

I'll be back though......
Hi Den

Would like to thank you again for you posts in your time our in New Zealand.

Really appreciate with all you have had to do and the questions you yourself must have had to ask, that you took time to help all of us over here out.

I have found your post extremely helpful and on the days when I wondered if I am doing the right thing they helped to keep me focused on the positive things regarding the move.

Only 127 days to go until I fly out (not that I am really counting) and still looking forward to it, although not to the time back at college.

Thanks again.

Ann :scared:
Old Sep 5th 2005, 8:30 pm
Make pumps lots......

Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dekajack1
Hi Den

Would like to thank you again for you posts in your time our in New Zealand.

Really appreciate with all you have had to do and the questions you yourself must have had to ask, that you took time to help all of us over here out.

I have found your post extremely helpful and on the days when I wondered if I am doing the right thing they helped to keep me focused on the positive things regarding the move.

Only 127 days to go until I fly out (not that I am really counting) and still looking forward to it, although not to the time back at college.

Thanks again.

Ann :scared:

Thanks Ann,

I had to come over and see the place for myself before I decided. I wanted to see the belly of the beast, so to speak.

The job isn't the scary part - we can all do that, and they chose us all because of our experience. They do seem genuinely enthusiastic at the prospect of nearly 200 Brits and Dutch hitting thier shores.

For me, it was whether I felt I could settle, I had already accepted it would be a struggle financially, but looking long term - you know, what do you do on a mid week rest day, The evening on an E shift, when the weather is shit. The day to day stuff that being a tourist doesn't touch.
I've gone out of my way to speak to locals, expats, workers, bosses, travellers, tourists, even the dreaded Kiwi experience. Without a doubt the answer is always 'Give it a go mate,' It's not everyone's cup of tea, or Gumboot as it's called here! But the opportunity is awesome.

Personally, I've got to try it, even if it's only for a year. I'm keeping an 'escape' plan, and I'm not burning my bridges at work. I'm a bloody good member of staff, I'm not a sickie, I get the job done and I enjoy it. Prison Officers are a good bunch, and while there will undoubtably be dark days ahead for us all, we will always be there for the next dawn. Theres enough of us to have our own support network.

Just bring your fashion clothes.........

Anyhoo, brekkie for me, whoever had the idea of putting pancakes, maple syrup, bacon and fried bananas on the same plate is a bloody genius.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 6:19 pm
tickle my tadpoles

footloose is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ann,

I had to come over and see the place for myself before I decided. I wanted to see the belly of the beast, so to speak.

The job isn't the scary part - we can all do that, and they chose us all because of our experience. They do seem genuinely enthusiastic at the prospect of nearly 200 Brits and Dutch hitting thier shores.

For me, it was whether I felt I could settle, I had already accepted it would be a struggle financially, but looking long term - you know, what do you do on a mid week rest day, The evening on an E shift, when the weather is shit. The day to day stuff that being a tourist doesn't touch.
I've gone out of my way to speak to locals, expats, workers, bosses, travellers, tourists, even the dreaded Kiwi experience. Without a doubt the answer is always 'Give it a go mate,' It's not everyone's cup of tea, or Gumboot as it's called here! But the opportunity is awesome.

Personally, I've got to try it, even if it's only for a year. I'm keeping an 'escape' plan, and I'm not burning my bridges at work. I'm a bloody good member of staff, I'm not a sickie, I get the job done and I enjoy it. Prison Officers are a good bunch, and while there will undoubtably be dark days ahead for us all, we will always be there for the next dawn. Theres enough of us to have our own support network.

Just bring your fashion clothes.........

Anyhoo, brekkie for me, whoever had the idea of putting pancakes, maple syrup, bacon and fried bananas on the same plate is a bloody genius.

Hiya Den,

Just to echo others, I have found your posts informative, funny and they have helped me focus. Sending you Karma Like you I plan to leave an option of coming back to the UK if all goes pear shaped. But I don't intend on using that option, I look to it as an adventure and a new experience for me and all the family.
It is nice to hear that they are looking forward to us coming, and they information seems to be flowing from NZ a lot better now.

House in now on the market, had the first viewing yesterday at 5pm. Got a phone call from estate agents at 5:25pm with an offer :scared: . Although not enough, and we rejected it, he upped it this morning, and again we rejected it. So it is encouraging and I think it should not be too long before it sells.

Booking medicals tomorrow and sending off for police checks, and hope to have ITA completed by mid Oct.

Scott
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:13 pm
Make pumps lots......

Things start moving quickly don't they??!! I've got my medicals the week after I get back....thats the only reason I'm coming back, I think.

I'm in a town on the Kapiti coast called paraparmau, or something. Went to the only bar in town and ended up drinking with an ex All Black! Mark Shaw, he played over 30 times, captained them 3 times and was a flanker known for hie err.... 'aggression'.
I also met the dog handler from Rimutaka again. He and his family are really enjoying it here. He's off with a ruptured achilles tendon and when I told hom some of what we''ve heard about the meagre sick entitlement he just laughed. It does seem complicated, but you get your full pay for 8 weeks then 80%, although you can return on light duties for 2 days a week and retain 100% pay. Don't quote me on that, But I think that was the essence of what he qwas saying.
I'm off to New Plymouth, it's my last night tonight.

Laters.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Things start moving quickly don't they??!! I've got my medicals the week after I get back....thats the only reason I'm coming back, I think.

I'm in a town on the Kapiti coast called paraparmau, or something. Went to the only bar in town and ended up drinking with an ex All Black! Mark Shaw, he played over 30 times, captained them 3 times and was a flanker known for hie err.... 'aggression'.
I also met the dog handler from Rimutaka again. He and his family are really enjoying it here. He's off with a ruptured achilles tendon and when I told hom some of what we''ve heard about the meagre sick entitlement he just laughed. It does seem complicated, but you get your full pay for 8 weeks then 80%, although you can return on light duties for 2 days a week and retain 100% pay. Don't quote me on that, But I think that was the essence of what he qwas saying.
I'm off to New Plymouth, it's my last night tonight.

Laters.
Hi Den,

Glad to see that you are still enjoying your time there. We have got a family unit in the Kapiti Coast area booked for when we arrive there in January, seriously thinking about staying there and travelling to whichever establishment they put me to.

I am also keeping options open, approached by HR Manager who asked if I was taking a career break, never thought of it, as I don't intent to come back but as it was offered, will grab it with both hands.

It also allows me to do a first aid course at the SPS College in December which both saves me money and it will be good to do a 4 day intensive course rather than over 6 to 8 weeks every Wednesday night and having to try and arrange "rest days" (I think I remember what they are). :

BTW if I remember correctly New Zealand Prison Service dint employ PEI, just wondering if the jails have staff facilities likes gyms, running machined etc.

Take care and have a drink on me
Old Sep 6th 2005, 9:37 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Den, managed to keep the place completely out of control whilst you were gone! In fact our soft as s**t approach with any luck has made things much worse! I hope the Government is pleased?

As for all these back door schemes? The saving bridges? And career breaks? There is no way I'd even contemplate coming back! To all those who see this as an option can I just suggest that you have a good look around you before you go? Thus I have burnt every bridge I had...

From the moment I submitted the EOI paperwork the whole immigration process has taken just three weeks to complete. I now await visas... The efficiency is unbelievable.. In real time Den flew away and then came back again? That's all it takes.

Best wishes to all & see you in NZ... Expect too much and you will be disappointed! Expect too little and you will be over joyed!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:55 am
Make pumps lots......

The dog handler I was with yesterday is from Hampshire Police and was granted a career break. They still think he's coming back!! I think our handbook states that you can't use the break to seek other employment, but again, not 100% sure. BTW, He's offered his e-mail to anyone that wants to chat. I'm not going to publish it here, but if you want it, PM me and I'll forward it to you. He's a good bloke.

@AC, can't believe how quick you got your visa, Blimey! When you coming out then? For me, the escape plan is to get back to UK if this goes pair shaped. Always have a plan B......But I know how determined and bloody minded you can be!!!!!lol!! Best of luck and see you soon.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 6:53 am
Make pumps lots......

Well I'm in the airport waiting for the flight back. I really, really don't want to go.

So my impressions of NZ. Well, the grass is greener - no, it really is!!

Pro's: People, lifestyle, countryside, pace of life,

Con's: Distance, racism (not a major problem), The accent!, money, housing quality.

They're what immediatley spring to mind. It is a different culture to UK. You have to accept that. There is a macho veneer that only really survives a cursory glance.
This country is trying to drag itself into the 21st century. It's slowly shaking off the cloak Of what the old timers still call 'The Old Country'. It needs and will move inexorably closer to asia.
The rugby and we'll fix it mate attitude is definitely more low key than I expected. You can find it if you want - God knows I did on more that one occassion!!
Everything is getting more expensive. Locals can no longer afford housing easily due to the influx of rich immigrants. Eventually that will lead to a backlash if left unchecked.
As we know, it's easy to focus on the negative. This is a fantastic country with undoubtedly the most open, honest people that I have ever met.

I LOVE IT!!!

I'll be back. soon.

I've got a flight to catch. See you all soon. And in true Kiwi prose I offer this advice to you all - 'You'll be right, mate.'
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Well I'm in the airport waiting for the flight back. I really, really don't want to go.

Con's: Distance, racism (not a major problem), The accent!, money, housing quality.

They're what immediatley spring to mind. It is a different culture to UK. You have to accept that. There is a macho veneer that only really survives a cursory glance.
This country is trying to drag itself into the 21st century. It's slowly shaking off the cloak Of what the old timers still call 'The Old Country'. It needs and will move inexorably closer to asia.
The rugby and we'll fix it mate attitude is definitely more low key than I expected. You can find it if you want - God knows I did on more that one occassion!!
Everything is getting more expensive. Locals can no longer afford housing easily due to the influx of rich immigrants. Eventually that will lead to a backlash if left unchecked.
As we know, it's easy to focus on the negative. This is a fantastic country with undoubtedly the most open, honest people that I have ever met.

I LOVE IT!!!

I'll be back. soon.

I've got a flight to catch. See you all soon. And in true Kiwi prose I offer this advice to you all - 'You'll be right, mate.'
Den

Have a nice flight home.

Running Late already had supervisor on phone asking me if I am coming in this morning.

C U Soon

Ann
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:13 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I LOVE IT!!!

I'll be back. soon.

Have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. Wanted to wish you a good flight home.

Now in light of your medical next week, do you think it may be wise to give your liver a bit of a rest??!! And perhaps get some sleep, although I know you don't like to do much of that from your strap line which I'm assuming refers to cats, but does jump out as meaning something else entirely! lol
Old Sep 8th 2005, 7:24 am
tickle my tadpoles

footloose is on a distinguished road

I LOVE IT!!!

I'll be back. soon.

Have a good flight back, I hope the medical goes well next week. And I must say that your adventure and posts have helped me overcome some of the concerns I have.

Scott
Old Sep 8th 2005, 9:19 am
Banned

Beef Wellington is on a distinguished road

I dont know who you are mate, but I will make it my business to find you when I arrive in Wellington in January. Thanks for the posts Den and I look forward to meeting you in in 2006,
Safe journey home ( well to England anyway )
Beef
Old Sep 8th 2005, 8:45 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

Me thinks I just worked out the Den pun? Anyway as for back door plans bahrrr!!!! Christ I'm sounding like sheep? Mind you they are attractive???

Written for legal advice from Lawyers as well as the Prison Service on Pensions, hope to have answers back soon...

Have a nice flight home, see you at work....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.